Fire safety and timer plugs - a little help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
Hello geeks,

I bought some timer switches a few months back thanks to Lynne's awesome money saving thread. I don't personally need them to save money as my utilities are included in my rent, but they are fantastic for making sure my wax pots and steam towel heater are all ready and raring to go as soon as my first appointment starts.

My question is about fire safety.

I had a couple of days of work and did not think to turn my plugs off. Pure forgetfulness on my part, but i didn't think it would do any harm, other than being a bit wasteful, as these plugs are on 5 days a week.

When i came back to work, one of the hairdressers had been in my room and unplugged everything, saying that having those things on but unused were a fire hazard.

Is this true?

Is it more of a risk if they are on but unused? What about the days when i have them on, but don't need to use them? For example, i might not have any intimate waxing one day, so i won't use my hot wax pot, although it will be on in case of any last minute bookings.

I've tried googling this but haven't found anything quite right, so any help you can offer me would be greatly appreciated xx

Anything left on is a hazard, keeping your tv in standby can cause a fire,

Anything left on is a hazard, keeping your tv in standby can cause a fire,

But is it more of a hazard than if it was on while you were working?

It wasn't left on overnight or anything, just during the times it was set to.

This is what i mean...is it any more of a hazard than during a regular work day? There are still people there xx

It is only more of a hazard as you are not it the room so wouldn't be as quick to react if a fire did start.

Plus they are always a slight hazard and being on when you aren't there is just an unnecessary fire hazard.

Easy to forget but you should always try to make sure things are off if not in use.

Yes it's classed as a fire hazard, but rarely does anything go wrong.
We never unplug or turn off in my home. In my bedroom I have 2 sockets, one has a single 4 way adapter, the other has a double adapter, a 4 way plugged into it, 2 double adapters in the 4 way for the tv and bits, then a long extension to get under my bed with another double adapter with a 4 way in it.
My tv, sky laptop wii and fan are never turned off.
My sunbed is also in a 4 way and is never switched off or unplugged.
Xoxo

Having recently had the fire service here doing a fire safety check this is what they told me ... 'Any unused plugs should be switched off and when not in the premises everything should be turned off and unplugged!' But they also said they understood there were somethings that have to remain plugged in and switched on and as long as socket adapters aren't used (these are one of the biggest causes of fires) and if you need extra sockets you use the correct extension lead, preferably with a fuse or trip switch built in, then you are safer than if you over load one socket with an adapter. You are never totally safe you just need to minimise the risk. If your still unsure give your local fire service a call and they will come out and do a fire safety check for you, it's free, they can then advise you the best x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

Thanks everybody. That's put my mind at ease. I was confused by the way the hairdresser worded it and wanted to double check.

Tomme I dont unplug my tv or anything at home either.

Thanks for the suggestion about the fire service, that sounds like a great idea :) xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek

I'm very naughty and leave my oil heater turned on all the time. My room is that cold in a morning I can see my breath. There used to be a radiator in there..pipe work is still there but the landlady had it took out before I started. It's also a very leaky massive bay window in my room so it must cost her a fortune. If I had to pay for the electric I use i would be sat there in a coat all day!! It's her own fault though really..she was having a new window put in over 12 months ago and then changed her mind because it was going to cost a lot.

ive been too afraid to even use timer switches

terrified of fire and dont use them just in case

hsve a fear of burning down the whole building so play it very safe

and unplug all every night

same at home

Latest posts

Back