firemen not allowed up ladder!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiG

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share with you:

I live in a small market town and the local firemen (sorry - firefighters lol) have the task every year of removing the banners around the town from the local festival.

They just go up a ladder and take it down....Simple. 10min job.

This year, they shut the whole road and had a huge cherry picker up there! Turns out that they are now no longer allowed to go up the ladder as it is not safe so have to use a platform!! My hubby was a fireman for 15 years in London and was livid!! Is this really what the world is coming to?

I couldn't believe it!

Sam xxx

:eek: How bizarre. I wonder if the local council would insist on the same thing if their offices were on fire and they were stuck inside the building.

:eek: How bizarre. I wonder if the local council would insist on the same thing if their offices were on fire and they were stuck inside the building.

Good point! This is one of the many reasons why I left the UK. Health and Safety is of course an important issue as long as it is balanced with some common sense!

My hubby was a fireman for 15 years in London and was livid!! Is this really what the world is coming to?

I couldn't believe it!

Sam xxx
Couldn't agree with you more. The whole health and safety thing just does my head in. It is rediculous.:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr: I've got a headache now lol.

Hiya

My hubby was fire-fighter for 31yrs
he could work another 4 years if he wanted to..he got out as soon as he could pick up his pension
they carn't do anything these days

just a few things i can think of we have heard since he's left

can not drive over 40 miles per hr to emergency
not allowed to get out of truck with out back up( so if you are trapped tough)
have to get fully dressed(fire kit) before they leave the station(no putting kit on in back for speed like they used to)
not allowed to play spotrs in yard or station( like volly ball footy etc)
Took away all the beds..when they are on nights they have to lay on the floors if they want to rest

i think the last one was not able to use the pole (only the stairs)?

not to mention all the other changes

BIG UP FOR OUR BRAVE FIRE FIGHTERS

jenx

My husband owns his own roofing contracting company and he has also come across lots of additional restrictions on what he can and cant do because of change to health and safety rules.

He has to have some properties fully scaffolded to work on them, wheres before he was allowed to use ladders etc. Because of this it does mean that the customer has to pay more to have the work completed on their property, so it does put some people off having the work done because of the cost involved.

Having said that, there has been times when he has incurred some injuries when using ladders, which he woldnt have got if the building was scaffolded.

His liability insurance is also massive due to the health and safety risk that him and his employees take, but the liability costs havent come down because of the extra safety precautions they have to take, (which reduced the risks they take) so you cant win either way.

My exgirlfriend was a firefighter (I was a nurse - we did the role reversal with our jobs) and where she was stationed really didn't have to do much. I wonder what they do at nights now they have taken away their beds. The difference between our nights was incredible a busy night for her was going to switch off 3 AFAs (firealarms) where as i would have around 10 post surgery patients to care for.

Latest posts

Back