First attempt at 'avant garde'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metamorfosis

Gel Polish Stylist of the Year 2016
Reaction score
Had my level 3 Avant Garde assessment today in college, tutor didn't seem overly impressed (she dislikes me greatly!) so just wanted to get some feedback from people who actually like nails!

The theme I chose was Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland :o) The thumbs aren't showing unfortunately but they had little watch hands and cogs stuck on, my favourite nail by far hehe.

As I said on FB, LOVEEE them :D Stuff your tutor babe they are fab xxxxx

wowwww they're fab!
I hate college tutors they always have their faves and people they dislike for some silly reason, just ignore her!!

First let me say I know nothing about which level you are on or which criterias there are in avantgarde, so forgive me if I want to much from you.

The nails is a great first attempt, but for my eyes they are a bit to plain, when I look at nails with nailart and especially "show-nails" I look for a history or something surprising. I need some more colors or glitter for them to really catch my eyes.

With that said there are obviously skill to these nails, now all you can do is practice if you want to take this further!:hug:

First let me say I know nothing about which level you are on or which criterias there are in avantgarde, so forgive me if I want to much from you.

The nails is a great first attempt, but for my eyes they are a bit to plain, when I look at nails with nailart and especially "show-nails" I look for a history or something surprising. I need some more colors or glitter for them to really catch my eyes.

With that said there are obviously skill to these nails, now all you can do is practice if you want to take this further!:hug:

Thank you so much, I thought all of the above too!! I had much funkier stuff planned but my model let me down the day before and my mum begged me not to do too much - I should've stood my ground but was so grateful she was going to help me out as she's Shellac only these days!

Next time there will definitely be more going on, and I'll choose a theme where I can make more use of colour and glitter I think, Tim Burton isn't glittery or colourful in hindsight!

Really appreciate you taking the time to critique, thanks again!

I have no idea if they are "Avant Garde" enough but I think the concept is brilliant and to this Shellac only girl...pretty darn amazing!

Well done. And grrr to the model! (Lucky for your Mum)

These look really good to me, I can see that youve taken time to make sure that things are kept tidy looking and in proportion to each other. I'd agree with what other people have said that it would be good to see what else you can do with more colour etc but these are lovely. Sometimes theres a reason why you dont see eye to eye with a tutor but dont take it personally. One persons opinion is different to anothers so dont worry too much about what she says.
Interested to see what you come up with next

I think they are absolutely brilliant, imaginative and original. Unfortunately not everyone can like your work (sad that you got that reaction from you tutor though as they should be encouraging your creativity) but as long as you and your clients love it thats what matters :)

:)i think these are brilliant, maybe some darker glitter or holographic glitter wouldve fitted the theme?

but like i said i think theyre fab, your mum was a lucky lady.

how long did she keep them onfor?

:)i think these are brilliant, maybe some darker glitter or holographic glitter wouldve fitted the theme?

but like i said i think theyre fab, your mum was a lucky lady.

how long did she keep them onfor?

Removed most of the 3D immediately and she kept nails on for 2 days before removal and back to her Shellac French! She loves Shellac!!!

Yes I've been looking back and thinking darker glitter too. Maybe I'll leave the funky nails for a while until my creativity wakes up :D

Latest posts

Back