First attempt at blending. How did I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamantine

Reaction score
I have a nail trainer so I am practising tipping and blending. This is my first one. Any pointers from the experts? I am doing an at home course for now to get some basics then taking a conversion when I have enough money together for anyone wondering!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335466430.174755.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335466430.174755.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 808
Hi there
I did EN courses and now running my own mobile buisness.

I would say blend a bit more reducong the grit now. Also dont forget to buffer block it before applying your chosen overlay.

Any questions pm me. :)

Hi hun.

God I hate to say it but if that was on a real nail and you overlaid it with gel or acrylic, you would see the demarcation line, cos I can see it in the photo. Don't forget that anything that looks imperfect BEFORE you get the product on will look EVEN WORSE when you do.

Def bit more blending needed but DON'T WORRY, we all started somewhere, even the truly famous nail techs of the world, I think it's wonderful that you care and are brave enough to post a piccy of your first attempt:hug: , my blending was really rubbish at first lol

Congratulations on the start of a fab career, enjoy every minute :)

Thank you for the tips ladies. I know I have a long way to go I just wanted to get an idea of just how far I have to go.

I have done 8 in total tonight then got a sore back from leaning over to inspect them lol.

I was using the 180 grit then the buffer block so maybe use the 180 then a 240 before the buffer?

I just want to get these as close to perfect before I start practising on family and friends as I don't want them to have horrible looking nails!

I might take the well down a bit too as it seems very long on the practise nails. It comes about 2 thirds of the way down the nail plate and if it's only meant to come 1 third down is that right?

Thank you for the tips ladies. I know I have a long way to go I just wanted to get an idea of just how far I have to go.

I have done 8 in total tonight then got a sore back from leaning over to inspect them lol.

I was using the 180 grit then the buffer block so maybe use the 180 then a 240 before the buffer?

I just want to get these as close to perfect before I start practising on family and friends as I don't want them to have horrible looking nails!

I might take the well down a bit too as it seems very long on the practise nails. It comes about 2 thirds of the way down the nail plate and if it's only meant to come 1 third down is that right?

Hi I'm training too... I blended like you then bought Gigi's Nailclass book and after reading 2 chapters I could blend alot better.. (see my post 'before and after nailclass), and you know what it was... the way I held the file... yep simple as that and what a difference it took alot less time and far more controlled to the area i needed it.. its soo worth it hun xx

Hi I'm training too... I blended like you then bought Gigi's Nailclass book and after reading 2 chapters I could blend alot better.. (see my post 'before and after nailclass), and you know what it was... the way I held the file... yep simple as that and what a difference it took alot less time and far more controlled to the area i needed it.. its soo worth it hun xx

It's the holding of the file that I'm struggling with most I think. There is so much to learn. You would think it's simple to hold a file right? That is so not the case! I will go have a look at the thread now. I did see it earlier on and started reading it but my 3 year old decided he wanted to eat his peas 1 at a time :confused: lol.

It's the holding of the file that I'm struggling with most I think. There is so much to learn. You would think it's simple to hold a file right? That is so not the case! I will go have a look at the thread now. I did see it earlier on and started reading it but my 3 year old decided he wanted to eat his peas 1 at a time :confused: lol.

Yep know where you coming from - the book will teach you so many things honestly..... I did hold my file with thumb on top (like I was taught in training class) but oh no Gigi suggests finger on top to guide the pressure - this made is sooo much easier can't believe it and cuts time right down... my first attempt looked the same as yours but look at my second go just from changing something so simple...
good luck let me know how you get on xx:hug:

Yep know where you coming from - the book will teach you so many things honestly..... I did hold my file with thumb on top (like I was taught in training class) but oh no Gigi suggests finger on top to guide the pressure - this made is sooo much easier can't believe it and cuts time right down... my first attempt looked the same as yours but look at my second go just from changing something so simple...

I just bought the book so by next week I should be alot better. I want to go and try again and improve them now but I know it is way too late and if I started now I wouldn't go to sleep. That might not be a bad thing as my BF is working till 1 and I want to be awake to talk to him but if I start on the nails I know I will ignore the phone again hahaha.

I was the same... Why start afresh tomorrow there are some good tutorials on the site too they will help.. If we lived closer we could practice on each other!
I did my course in march and exams in may I'm sooo not ready. You get Loadsa tips and advice here, I have. You know where I am if you wanna chat anytime x

It's getting better!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335524367.174984.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335524367.174984.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 400
I have a nail trainer so I am practising tipping and blending. This is my first one. Any pointers from the experts? I am doing an at home course for now to get some basics then taking a conversion when I have enough money together for anyone wondering!

Can still see the line of the tip. Abit more filing and use a white block to smooth it out abit more :)

Hi Adamantine

Can I ask how helpful is the training hand. Am in two minds whether to get one. Please could I have your feedback.

Thanks for starting this post, it's interesting and am learning a lot from everyone.

Thank you.

Hi Adamantine

Can I ask how helpful is the training hand. Am in two minds whether to get one. Please could I have your feedback.

Thanks for starting this post, it's interesting and am learning a lot from everyone.

Thank you.

I personally think it will be invaluable! I can practise whenever I want to and I do not need a person here to do it. I have just sat and done a few more nails while the kids are at school and after I get them to bed I have a free evening to tip and blend to my hearts content!

I found easy blend tips. So much easier.

I thought about easy blend tips but I would still need to master blending for maintenance. I read Gigi's tutorial on here while I was for her book to arrive and I have to say it made a big difference and my blending is so much better already!

I started on the overlays last night and all bar 1 tiny air pocket coz I didn't use enough adhesive it's pretty darn good! I will be attempting a whole hand tonight from start to finish

I do the finger on top for more pressure too, so much better. You'll be fine in time, it's ever such early days. x

I was trying to do the way the course teaches thumb and index on top the rest under the file supporting it but I kept reverting back to the grip described. Feels more natural to me. I think I'm doing it right. Will see when the book arrives!

I was trying to do the way the course teaches thumb and index on top the rest under the file supporting it but I kept reverting back to the grip described. Feels more natural to me. I think I'm doing it right. Will see when the book arrives!

Glad you feel bit better about it. It's ok that you change the grip you can't be penalised for your preference as long as you get the results ! Look forward to seeing them x

I will do a set tonight from start to finish and put them on here for some opinions?

Can't wait bet you can't wait!

Latest posts

Back