First critique from a newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarstorm

Reaction score
Right, I've decided to bite the bullet and submit a critique as I think it will help me to see the pro's and con's from other peoples point of view.

I only finished my training at the begining of April, so I know I have a long way to go yet, so any feedback would be welcome for you more experainced geeks.

This is a photo of a P+W L&P rebalance I did recently. Its the 3rd rebalance I have done for this lady and I also put the set on her as well. She asked for this lenght, I would have done them shorter if it was up to me. She has only had one breakage in the time she has had them on and that was when she was moving a new sofa into her house.

Sam xx

DSC05832.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, here it goes! Great job! I would love to have them. Only thing I can say is you need to file the side walls a bit more. I am sure that now you have them on line you see that as well. just a few more passes and I think they will be even better! :Love:

Hi sachi ,

That was the first thing I noticed as soon as I saw the picture.
Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you can see and think of my work.

Sam xx

Hi sachi ,

That was the first thing I noticed as soon as I saw the picture.
Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you can see and think of my work.

Sam xx

:). Funny how they look so perfect till you post a photo then you see! :) always happens to me that way. :Love:

i love the shape you've got on the thumb, this is what i'm struggling to get at the moment, hopefully mine will look like this soon :D

For someone just starting out they are very good.
Apart from what has been said i think your smile line is just a wee bit too high.It looks to be ok on the thumbs but the others look slightly unbalanced.

Thank you both for your feedback, I really do appresheate all the feedback I can get.

Gillian W, when you saw "others look slightly unbalanced" do you mean just where I have extended the nail bed too much ?

All the nails have the same shape, apex etc as the thumb, thinking about it I should have asked her if I could have taken photgraphs from other angles. I might see if she will letting me get sme more pictures when she has her rebalance done next week.

Sam xxx

Thank you both for your feedback, I really do appresheate all the feedback I can get.

Gillian W, when you saw "others look slightly unbalanced" do you mean just where I have extended the nail bed too much ?

All the nails have the same shape, apex etc as the thumb, thinking about it I should have asked her if I could have taken photgraphs from other angles. I might see if she will letting me get sme more pictures when she has her rebalance done next week.

Sam xxx

Ah ok, its probably just the angle of the photo.Where it looks like the free edge is unnaturally high whereas its not on the thumb.
Good luck with your work looks like you have excellent potential x

Ah ok, its probably just the angle of the photo.Where it looks like the free edge is unnaturally high whereas its not on the thumb.
Good luck with your work looks like you have excellent potential x

Thank you that means a lot. Nice to know I'm on the right track

Sam xx

Actually I think we should be honest here...

The nails look all woobly: some have too much products in zone 1 and not enough in z2.
You have extended the nails too much and it makes your white out of balance, whilst your thumb does have an apex it looks bulky and will be hard work rebalancing (lots of file work).

However they are no way bad, just need to be a bit more balanced thats all. But well done for posting xx

Actually I think we should be honest here...

The nails look all woobly: some have too much products in zone 1 and not enough in z2.
You have extended the nails too much and it makes your white out of balance, whilst your thumb does have an apex it looks bulky and will be hard work rebalancing (lots of file work).

However they are no way bad, just need to be a bit more balanced thats all. But well done for posting xx

Thank you for your feedback, when you say wobbly, I'm not sure I understand exactaly what you mean? do you just mean about the product ?

I did make the nails thicker than normal as this lady has horses, kids, dogs and works as a bouncer.

I am always honest ... And I don't think I would describe these nails as wobbly at all and certainly not "all wobbly".

My comment would be that they look as though you are going along the right path but at the moment I would say they lack refinement. I would agree with there being just too much product in zones 1 & 2 .. I think you could get away with allot less and the nails would look much more sleek and slim.

You need to learn a few fine points of design and product placement and be more consistent in your mix ratio and even application as I can see many colour variations. These things are not glaringly obvious to most people and with the client's lifestyle and activity, I can see where you would need to build them thicker for her.

The good stuff is that the smiles are nice and the body of the nails fit well. Surface smoothness looking good. Fairly consistent but need to be more so. Keep up the good work, and keep improving.

I would like to see your work on a person with a normal activity level and length and see how you make those nails. I would also like to see a shorter length.

For a woman who has horses, dogs, children and is a bouncer I think the length chosen is crazy but that may be her own silly choice. As her technician I would be advising her against the length she currently has.

I am always honest ... And I don't think I would describe these nails as wobbly at all and certainly not "all wobbly".

My comment would be that they look as though you are going along the right path but at the moment I would say they lack refinement. I would agree with there being just too much product in zones 1 & 2 .. I think you could get away with allot less and the nails would look much more sleek and slim.

You need to learn a few fine points of design and product placement and be more consistent in your mix ratio and even application as I can see many colour variations. These things are not glaringly obvious to most people and with the client's lifestyle and activity, I can see where you would need to build them thicker for her.

The good stuff is that the smiles are nice and the body of the nails fit well. Surface smoothness looking good. Fairly consistent but need to be more so. Keep up the good work, and keep improving.

I would like to see your work on a person with a normal activity level and length and see how you make those nails. I would also like to see a shorter length.

For a woman who has horses, dogs, children and is a bouncer I think the length chosen is crazy but that may be her own silly choice. As her technician I would be advising her against the length she currently has.

Thank you Geeg for your detailed feedback, it helps me a lot to hear from someone with so much experaince.

I knew there was faults when I posted this (in my mind anyway) but also knew it would only be by asking people such as yourself, that I will learn and improve, as I know I have a long way to go before I reach the level I'm aiming for and it could be easy to miss the finer points while being too concerned on things like smile lines. I want to be more than just a nail tech, I want to be a great nail tech.

I have warned her about the length and possible damage to her nails but she insisted, I agreed on the conditaion that if I feel she is not coping when them, that I can shorten them to what I feel is a more suitable lenght. In all fairness to her, she has coped very with them, even this past week while she was working as security guard at the Bath and West show ground and she has been sticking to the after care advice I gave her, including solar oil. I would have perfered that the free egde was a lot shorter, at least a third less than it is now.

I'll try and get some photographs of a set from someone with a normal life style and length soon.

Sam xx

It would be good to see a few different angles too, if you can do a side shot and 'down the barrel' shot.

Funny how the ones who should have shorter nails, defy all the odds and get on really well with a length that shouldn't suit what they do at all!! Only, if they are however naturally cautious with their hands and nails.

You have not done a bad job at all but I would like you to aim for nails that look less fake and more like a real nail when it comes to the finer points which in essence means more refining. Straighter side Walls, less bulk as I said before, and more even mix ratio with your beads.

When using opaque powders your mix has to be pretty accurate along with how you overlap the beads or you will see the variation in colour.

Ok by wobbly I meant they go in and out ie: too much in z1 then they go in then out again for z2 then in again and out for z3...Maybe wobbly wasn't the right word.

Hope that has cleared up what I meant in wobbly terms :) x

Latest posts

Back