first day a non smoker

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solar oil at the ready - would love to have the hands of a ten year old lol!!!!

You can keep me posted to the various stages that you go through - I am dead set to start on Monday

Just think you are nearly through the first day - way to go

Hi Jo, I just found these facts about some of the benefits you should start to notice in the next few days - GOOD LUCK - you're doing REALLY well. I have never smoked, but a very good friend of mine, who smoked about 40/50 a day gave up 5 weeks ago on the new NHS plan with patches - I am SO PROUD of her!! I never thought she would do it - she feels FANTASTIC!!!!

Almost immediately, a person's circulation begins to improve and the carbon monoxide level in the blood begins to decline.

A person's pulse rate and blood pressure, which are abnormally high while smoking, begin to return to normal.

Within a few days of quitting, a person's sense of taste and smell return, and breathing becomes increasingly easier.

http://www.click2quit.com/HP00.asp?WT.srch=1

Hey there Joanne!!

Since I found out I was pregnant it means no more cigerettes & no more drinkie poo.

It was/is a struggle I will admit, but I haven't had a cigerette in about 8 days and my boyfriend who lives with me smokes!!:eek: Sometimes, I really want one but it's not really bothering me like I thought it would...I haven't been using patches or anything, although the last time (8 days ago) I tried to smoke I got sick as all hell -- that helps, too.

Keep up the good work, you can do it, your mind is more powerful than any habit you may have it's mind over matter, although your body may crave it, your mind is stronger...will power is a powerful force and I know you have it, if you have the patience and dedication it takes to be a nail tech, you have the fortitude and strength to stop smoking. My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

P.S. I think I miss the drinkie poo more than the cigerettes!:lick:

Well done joanne we're all very proud of you:wink2:

Soon you'll be playing football in the park with the kids like in the adverts..... n roller skating in miami, n sky diving......... oooops wrong advert!:smack: :eek:

Humour is the only thing that keeps me sane, it is half term!!!

Debz xxx

Well done Joanne for trying to quit. My Mum as just done 10 days without smoking and she has smoked for 50 years+, The reason she is quitting is she has COPD which is caused by smoking. When you see someone on oxygen who can't even walk around because they get breathless it makes you think twice about smoking. Mum was in hospital last week and I saw what happens as a smoker gets older (It wasn't a nice sight).
Keep up your fight, its worth every craving. Just to be free

lell said:
Well done Joanne for trying to quit. My Mum as just done 10 days without smoking and she has smoked for 50 years+, The reason she is quitting is she has COPD which is caused by smoking. When you see someone on oxygen who can't even walk around because they get breathless it makes you think twice about smoking. Mum was in hospital last week and I saw what happens as a smoker gets older (It wasn't a nice sight).
Keep up your fight, its worth every craving. Just to be free

My Aunty has just been diagnosed with this after 40 yrs + of smoking 50 a day. She's been quite for nearly 10 months now.:D I was talking to her the other day and regrets the day she ever started, she started crying saying she'd never make it to 60 at this rate.:cry:

Her husband only quite after 3 heart attacks and a triple heart bypass

Both my Mum and Dad smoke and have done since they were kids (about 40 a day), they try and give up but never manage it. They bury their heads in the sand when it comes to the harm it's doing to them.

I quite 2 years ago this March and it's the best thing i've done, don't get me wrong i still think about them now and again and could murder one, but the craving goes in seconds. My husband quite last January and my best mate has quite for about 4 months now - seems everyone is stating to see sense.

Keep it up Joanne, you will feel so much better for it in the long run. Good luck mate.

Hey Joanne,

How's it going today???

:lol: I always have taught that SolarOil has 101 uses from calming the itch of mosquito bites to stopping the fridge door from squeeking, but I never considered it as a help mate when stopping smoking!!! Now its 102 uses for SolarOIl. I'll be sure to let them know at Creative Nail Design :lol:

Hope today goes well for you. Thinking of you.

joannerowsell said:
thanks everyone your words are really really helping,
i have only had for shortbread hearts....and they are only small :wink2:
i tell you what has helped and i am not taking the p***,
but everytime i get a pang i get my solar oil and solar silk out and that is really helping me especially on here where i would smoke at least ten fags and watching tv..............so i will have the best hands in the uk.....no joke it is helping it gives me something to do when i cant do anything, if you know what i mean.
so chris stock up on solar oil hun and we will have hands of a ten year old.
good luck chris,i am with you on this one we will get through together :smack:

today is going well...........i have been quite calm considering its half term and the boys are jumping off the bunk beds playing "kids next door"(something off the tv i think), i have just done ironing(i never iron) and i am in the middle of washing all my curtains,
i am not getting cravings its just my body walks into the kitchen of its own accord to get an invisible cigarette, its automatic like breathing......i know its only day 2 but i feel i am cracking it, never thought i would be this calm......
103 reasons to use solar oil geeg...........i was cutting my boys hair on tuesday (number one all over for the 3 of them...double crowns you see) and i couldnt find my lubricating oil for my clippers.........so solar oil saved the day again..........and saved my boys having bald patches from the clippers ripping their hair out :cry:
anyhow its not easy but its not as hard as i thought so the patches must be doing their job

Well done Joanne - keep going you are doing brilliantly. Just think 3 days to go then back to school and peace and quiet for you - I can't wait for mine to go back to school - the house breathes a sigh of relief once they have gone off to school for the day!!!!!!!

I am trying to cut down the ciggies before the big day on Monday - I keep telling myself with each one that I have that I don't need it, its smelly and its such a waste of money. I really need to give up as I go into hospital in 4 weeks time to have keyhole surgery on my knee so now is an ideal time to quit and my girls keep on at me to stop - I will do it!!!!

joannerowsell said:
103 reasons to use solar oil geeg...........i was cutting my boys hair on tuesday (number one all over for the 3 of them...double crowns you see) and i couldnt find my lubricating oil for my clippers.........so solar oil saved the day again..........and saved my boys having bald patches from the clippers ripping their hair out

LOL - I use cuticle oil on the clippers here too, only I scream at Sean not to use my Solar Oil, I have some cheap stuff I make him use! :lol:

Well done getting the first day over and done with, it gets easier with every new day.

Good Luck & Well done

I have never smoked so I really don't know what you are going through.

Well done Joanne
I have tried many times to give up but always fail:sad:
After reading all these threads i am seriously going to try harder, i will stock up on solar oil at Excel then give it another go!
Keep up the good work :)

You go for it Joanne!
I'm sorry to say that I still smoke. I don't smoke that many, probably about 5-10 a day. But that's probably 5-10 too many really isn't it?
I'm dead proud of you......and I will put my mind to it and damn well give up too!
I keep seeing those adverts about how the woman smoked outside to be considerate to her kids, but like it says how is smoking and risking death considerate? I have two boys of 3 and 5. Time I gave up.....PM me any time and we can support each other if you like?
K x

have pm'd you krissy,
like i said bad day today as boys are being right little....bleep,bleep,bleeps
but even if i was smoking i would still be having a bad day with them so i cant blame giving up smoking,
today my taste buds have kicked in which is rather strange.
rob is home tomorrow and i have scrubbed everything in the house so i wonder if he will notice as he has never smoked but had to put up with me.
krissy i'm here for you girl...........and its not too bad at all honest,
whether you smoke 2 0r 25 a day i think its just as scary thinking about giving up....so go for it, everyones advice to me on here is totally amazing too and has helped no end

Children always seem worse on a friday, but it will soon be bedtime. I think it's fantastic that you are packing it up. I know from spending time in hospital with my mum (heavy smoker) that the benefits start after twenty four hours, so it's all downhill now :) You will also have more time to spend on lovely things on life because whenever I clean for my mum, it's always really hard work to get the nicotine off anything, even mugs, whereas, at my house, a quick wipe does all, and trust me, that's all I want to do!!!!

Good luck,
Cathy

Keep up the good work girlie!!! You can do it!! You (as well as the other geeks who are quitting) have my support!!

Who would have ever thought it would be cool to be considered a "quitter"??:cool:

I think being a quitter is AWESOME!!:D

I hope this helps you all (by the way I am back on the ciggies - oh no) but when I last gave them up about 9 months ago I started counting ciggs and not days or hours - it really works and builds up really quickly. So if you smoke say 20 per day - instead of saying I have not smoked for 5 days (doesn't sound much to a non-smoker) - but- I have not smoked 100 ciggs then that does make you feel good and just wait until you get into the 1,000 mark. Keep up the good work and you may have started me on the giving up road as well.
Norah

How are you doin' Joanne? Hope everything is going well. You made a very important point in your last post and you probably dont even realise it. Once you've decided to give up smoking, your biggest enemy is your own brain. It will find lots of really 'good' reasons why you should just have one smoke to help get over this present crisis. Trust me, there's always a crisis lurking round the corner when you're trying to quit. :twisted: The good thing is that you recognize this danger. Try and always keep it at the forefront of your mind, especially for the first few days.

Best of luck for today. :wink2:

today has been good, rob was home last night and goes away again tonight....boo hoo,
but he says he is so proud of me, i havent thought alot about fags today, and like seanny says you cant use cigs as an excuse if i have a bad day i cant blame it on giving up smoking because even if i had not have given up i probably would have bad days(it is mental not physical symptoms).............the only thing(being scynical) is does it get worse because so far its not too bad at all which is making me uneasy.............is there a catch...lol or this this really the worst its going to be, people say when you give up you get mouth ulcers and coughs but then its only my 4th day..........
still drinking loadssssssss of tea though which isnt good for the waist as i take 2 sugars(cant stand sweetners)
so far so good and no going back

Oh Joanne you are doing so well. My mum is on her 14th day and she is coping brilliantly I am so proud of her.
I have given up a few times and then started again but I am determined to join her in her quest to quit.

Latest posts

Back