First day in a salon tomorrow....lots of questions..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsturgeon

Reaction score
Hi,
Have been trying to become nail technician now since July 2006 to break away from my boring job in law. I live in belfast in northern Ireland
Did my first course with e-nails which was a 2 days course in manchester & covered the basics only - did anyone else do this what did they think of it?Then this year completed CIBTAC nail techician diploma- have been using a product from sallys only from home & doing sets of extensions for £5-£10 each for family, friends & neighbours only.
Finally feel confident enough to do members of the public so a friend opened a beauty & tanning shop in Belfast last weekend but her beauty therapists cant do extensions so has asked me to come in on saturdays & do them for her. Its great that im getting this experience:lol: but i am a little nervous :rolleyes:

My friend has just bought mercia products (L&P) out of sallys (i had been using salon systems out of sallys) but i am going in two weeks down to Dublin to do the Creative (CND) one to one training so will be able to buy creative products after that. The one to one training will be excellent also- you can never have enough training:lol:

I just want to ask you if youve any advice you could give me- is this a really bad product to be working with until i can get the creative products? i only use white tips on any of the clients ive done. When i did my CIBTAC training we had to do pink & whites on a natural extension but any that ive done to date always wanted just white tips. I dont think im going to offer pink & whites & if someone wants white I will just use the white tips is this really bad? Any time ive had them done in other salons in befast they always just use white tips. Obviously if somone wants natural tips i can do them too. I just hate using the white powder on natural tips as my smile lines are terrible!

Also been reading here & need some advice on in-fills- what way do these work. With the girls ive done from home ive done a set of full extensions, then have done 2 infills (one every 2-3 weeks) & then soaked them off & another set of extensions. Ive noted you talking about re-balance. I was never taught this term- only in fills- is this the same thing (ie just filing the acrylic area grown out until its flush with the natural nail & then reapply bead to this area (is this zone 3 i hear you talking about?), seal the aryclic & file
tips down slightly or should i be doing something else?

I know i have to learn somewhere but i dont want to.

Also - what about my own nails. I have very weak short nails as i wear extensions & stick ons- should i wear aryclics when working i want my nails
to look good) or is it better to work just with your own nails.

Ive lots more questions but that will do for now....

thanks

xxxx

Hi!

First of all congrats on making the move from something you found boring to something you obviously really enjoy..brave!!

On your question about your own nails, some people find it difficult to work with long nails, if you do, I would suggest perhaps doing your own in what ever system you use and keeping them neat and short, but always perfect, after all, they are part of your advertisment.

With regards to what products/systems/rebalance etc. Can I suggest perhaps not starting in the salon until you've had your one to one in Dublin. I think you would get much more satisfaction from creating your own smiles and also it gives a variety on what you can offer your clients. Some do like white tip, Iv never got on well with them, they seem a little harsh to me, but some like a more natural shade of white and it would be nice to tailor the enhancements to the client. Also you can ask as many questions as you like with your one to one tutor and she/he will give you first hand visual tutorials.

Oh, and theres no reason why you should have to soak off or remove enhancements, if the nails are all still in tact and healthy. I have many people who really look after their enhancements and they have grown so much that they now have natural nail overlays. Your CND educator will go through all of that with you I'm sure.

Good luck!!

Wendy rose

Thank you so much for your advice- it made alot of sense.

I really cant wait to get my one to one in dublin now. See you are from dublin yourself!

Thanks again

Im so glad i have this forum,...ive afeeling i will be needing it alot from now on!!!:lol::lol::lol:

No problem, it's a great site, I did my training in Dublin about three years ago with a not so great educator :rolleyes:, and have learned far more on here, it will be an invaluble tool. Apart from getting excellent free advice, there is also new methods and products that you learn about that you couldnt possibly know about unless you did a follow up every six months....good luck tomorrow!

at last someone who has done the e-nails course i am booked in on the 1st december! wat did u think of it? xx kirsty xx

Kirsty Lou-

Ok e-nails....i did learn alot in 2 days I can't deny that but it cetainly isn't enough and I didnt feel confident in calling myself a nail technician or fully qualified after it and therefore proceeded to do the CIBTAC diploma and now going to do further training with CND. The only problem for me is that they only train you in the UV cured acrylic & i couldnt find anyone else doing this anywhere, didnt get any training on gel, sculptured overlay, plus if you want to do pink and whites (ie applying the white powder & forming smile line rather than white tip) they dont show you this & im not sure if you could use another brands white powder as not sure if you can mix the uv cured acyrlic with another product. I am not dissing this course completly as after my training i practised like crazy on friends & family using this UV cured acrylic system but client were complaining of their fingers burning when the acyrlic was under the lamp etc (you might even experience this during the course) & i just didnt like that as its bloody painful. What i would say is go & do the course - im sure you have paid your money now- hazel is a lovely woman as is hannah who came in & helped us but really lets think about it- 2 days training to learn both acrylics AND manicure...your only going to learn the basics. But you come away with a sound knowledge. I bought the kit from her as well & im still using bits & bobs from that now so its worth while & you get a lamp etc which once you have stopped using the uv cured acrylic you can use for gels. I heard alot of girls in the course from manchester though (i flew over from belfast for it) saying they had wished they'd went to NSI- that way you learn a world wise recognised product. Thats why im going to train now with CND so i can offer my clients the best product & get the best training. Once i do this I'll have paid over £1000.00 on training (that includes e-nails training fee but doesnt include cost in materials) & i'll prob spend another £1000.00 or more on further training- you can never have enough- good luck with it anyway !!:lol:

what products do they use i got sent a pic of the kit which i am going to buy and i think it says rebel rebel!
the guy was makin out it was the best thing since sliced bread obviously and i am very keen to learn everything i can so i read all the reviews and comments on the site all good of course.so i booked it. it says the acrylic is self levelling?? also it says they reccomend u practice for a couple of weeks before actually starting on clients! uv put me off a bit now lol i dont really want to spend lots of money on training as i have a 9 month old baby! its a good job my partner is on a good wage. lol i have been lookin at other courses but e-nails is the cheapest i think. sorry for borin u :green:
kirsty xx

just a quick note to say all the best tomorrow I will be thinking of you and cheering you on will try to pm you over weekend
bye for now

Thank you corrine louise-- im nervous just thinking about it but im sure after the first set will be fine!

Speak soon xxx:hug:

Kirsty Lou,

Im sorry for putting you off & i would hate to see you waste your money.

Ive just done this & got loads of posts re e-nails courses from the geek website.

go to google.co.uk and type in e-nails course.

scroll down & see posts from the nailgeek website - there are lots of debates on there

(no point searching for e-nails directly from this i dont think as it will just bring up every post with NAILS in it!!)

See what you think after reading them & let me know.. opinions vary.

I have to agree the teacher is lovely & knows her stuff. you will learn alot however i think you will need more training. & therefore will end up spending more money in the long run anyway- so maybe better to go to NSI or creative??? i dont want to make decision for you honey & if youve already paid money to them you could struggle to get it back....

Get back to me sure

xxxx

No problem, it's a great site, I did my training in Dublin about three years ago with a not so great educator :rolleyes:, and have learned far more on here, it will be an invaluble tool. Apart from getting excellent free advice, there is also new methods and products that you learn about that you couldnt possibly know about unless you did a follow up every six months....good luck tomorrow!

Thanks so much wendy...& again for all your help x:hug:

right ok iv read them and i dont want to start another argument lol but some people are bein snobby about somethin they havent tried. im doin it on the first and i cant wait. some people say its good aqnd some bad but each to there own i hope it works for me i have been reading up a lot and iv bought cheap stuff off e bay and practised with it and am gettin quite good so iv been told. did u buy your kit on the day?? xx

right ok iv read them and i dont want to start another argument lol but some people are bein snobby about somethin they havent tried. im doin it on the first and i cant wait. some people say its good aqnd some bad but each to there own i hope it works for me i have been reading up a lot and iv bought cheap stuff off e bay and practised with it and am gettin quite good so iv been told. did u buy your kit on the day?? xx

No lets not start another argument! :lol: As i say I have done the course & have found it helpful i did nails that way for a full year & then when i started CIBTAC course i didnt have to do manicure part of the couse as i had my e-nails qualification which meant i only had to pay for half the fees. Hazel is a good teacher & will set you well on your way - if you are practising every day & like the system (uv cured) then there is no reason why you cant start your business using only e-nails training. I did buy my kit from her & i would recommend you buy it too - its excellent value for money & everything you buy in it will bethe same as what you have used to learn with over the 2 days so will save you having to go & buy everything separately,

I wish you every success with your course- you'll really enjoy it.

Nat xxx:Grope:

i think i will enjoy it i cant wait did u have to wait for your kit or buy it on the day? my dad is buyin mine!! :hug: kirsty x

Hey- no you buy it on the day- they ask you on your first day if you want one & you pay for it then & then when you get your certificate on the last day you get your kit- its exciting going through all the bits & pieces!
The one thing i would say is start practising STRAIGHT away & by your self a practice hand as well off ebay- practice makes perfect!!

Good luck

have a nice weekend :)

hey all.... iv done this course and you do cover lots off things but... the prob you will have is backfills and infills this was not covered with hazel, not when i did it anyway, i was just a little upset :cry: that i had to spend loads more money to do a foundation course with nsi.
i do hope this course has changed..... i hope i have not upset anyone with this thread :) but i just had to say my bit..... sorry xxxxxxx

when did you do the course im goin on saturday!!! cant wait to get the kit and start earning some extra money for christmas!! i hope the system works for me but i wil just have to practice like mad!! what did you think of the course then? im trying to find out as much as i can coz iv read more negative then positive comments about it on here anyway!!! kirsty xx

hazel is great.... i did love the course and as i said before there was a few areas that needed to be covered..... you will enjoy the course, have you got any course wrk to learn at home yet? if so make sure you read over and over coz you will have an exam :) good luck hun., i hope you do well
:hug: xx

yeah iv got some notes to learn the only thing i dont understand is how to say eponychium and hyponychium is it epon a cheeum lmfao sorry thats how i think u say it but my bf tryin to convince me its e pony cheeum!! lol do u think i would need to train with someone else?? for further training xx

don't worry about saying eponychium coz hazel says it about 30 or more times and you will hate that wrd after your course :) regarding your ??? about further training...... i guess you will need to do you course first, and see what bits you need to learn and go from there, ask hazel if she does extra courses regarding infills and backfills on the day. you will defo need to learn them :) x

Latest posts

Back