First ever client tonight!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_aj

Reaction score
I have got my first ever paying client for acrylic nails tonight and I’m so nervous!!! Does anyone have any tips? Can you remember how your first clients went?! Xx

Fake it until you make it! :)

Act confident and the client will feel confident with your services! Have some music on in the background so you don't need to fill every silence and can concentrate more.
Make sure you have everything you need before the client arrives and all laid out close enough for you to reach.
Offer a good service and let them know aftercare etc. and just be friendly :)
If you can, offer them to rebook for infills before they leave ;)

Fake it until you make it! :)

Act confident and the client will feel confident with your services! Have some music on in the background so you don't need to fill every silence and can concentrate more.
Make sure you have everything you need before the client arrives and all laid out close enough for you to reach.
Offer a good service and let them know aftercare etc. and just be friendly :)
If you can, offer them to rebook for infills before they leave ;)

Thank you!! The client ended up changing her appointment to today so today’s the big day!! Got 2 clients in today, just hoping I do a good job! Thanks for the advice x

Thank you!! The client ended up changing her appointment to today so today’s the big day!! Got 2 clients in today, just hoping I do a good job! Thanks for the advice x
Let us know how you got on? x

Let us know how you got on? x

My time has to get right down it took me 2 and a half hours, good job I know her! Haha, it’s the thickness of the product I’m giving myself far too much filing to do, I’m not qualified just yet I qualify in May so practice makes perfect I suppose! Any tips on getting the thickness of the product down or does that come with practice? Xx

My time has to get right down it took me 2 and a half hours, good job I know her! Haha, it’s the thickness of the product I’m giving myself far too much filing to do, I’m not qualified just yet I qualify in May so practice makes perfect I suppose! Any tips on getting the thickness of the product down or does that come with practice? Xx

That's great! :) 2 hours is pretty much the standard for a full sculpted set at all the nail salons in my area, so you don't have much to go :)

Ahh thank you, that makes me feel a bit better!

Attachments

• BC04367E-3927-4832-A7D3-E23913B75ABC.jpeg
    BC04367E-3927-4832-A7D3-E23913B75ABC.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 47
She has just text me and one of the nails flicked off in the night :( any ideas why that could be? I filed the nail, cleaned the dust off with NSI dehydrator and applied primer?

Did she send you a photo to see? If there's damage on the nail (she somehow ripped it off one way or other) , or if it came of cleanly with no damage marks (possible prep issue). When you say "filed the nail" do you mean you gently buffed the surface? And don't get upset even if next person loses a nail, it's probably going to happen a couple times in the beginning and it's good to learn from early :)
Retrace your steps and see if there's anything you might feel you could improve on.
1: cuticle work, push back cuticle.
2: Gently buff surface on all nails to remove shine, making sure to get into the sidewall grooves too. If she has a habit of touching her nails after you've done this, let her know this costs you extra minutes because you have to do it all again (I've had so many people who would run their fingers over their nails for whatever reason, I feel the veins popping in my forehead lol)
3: Dehydrate the nails, make sure to scrub it real good with the dehydrator to get into all the grooves of the nail properly. Still keep an eye on her so she doesn't start touching anything lol. Some people can't help themselves.
4: Apply primer/bonder.
5: Apply nail forms and make sure it's flush with the direction of sidewalls.
6: Now on this step you use acrylic and I use gel, but when you apply product, make sure it never touches the skin. If it does it will cause the nail to lift, even if you wiped it off. For acrylic I don't know much about the application except for making sure the ratio is right.

Good luck!

She has just text me and one of the nails flicked off in the night :( any ideas why that could be? I filed the nail, cleaned the dust off with NSI dehydrator and applied primer?

Send us your full prep procedure - when I first trained I struggled with this but my prep was nowhere near what it should have been.
Send us the above and it might help us pinpoint for you :)
Did you mention this to your trainer?

Did she send you a photo to see? If there's damage on the nail (she somehow ripped it off one way or other) , or if it came of cleanly with no damage marks (possible prep issue). When you say "filed the nail" do you mean you gently buffed the surface? And don't get upset even if next person loses a nail, it's probably going to happen a couple times in the beginning and it's good to learn from early :)
Retrace your steps and see if there's anything you might feel you could improve on.
1: cuticle work, push back cuticle.
2: Gently buff surface on all nails to remove shine, making sure to get into the sidewall grooves too. If she has a habit of touching her nails after you've done this, let her know this costs you extra minutes because you have to do it all again (I've had so many people who would run their fingers over their nails for whatever reason, I feel the veins popping in my forehead lol)
3: Dehydrate the nails, make sure to scrub it real good with the dehydrator to get into all the grooves of the nail properly. Still keep an eye on her so she doesn't start touching anything lol. Some people can't help themselves.
4: Apply primer/bonder.
5: Apply nail forms and make sure it's flush with the direction of sidewalls.
6: Now on this step you use acrylic and I use gel, but when you apply product, make sure it never touches the skin. If it does it will cause the nail to lift, even if you wiped it off. For acrylic I don't know much about the application except for making sure the ratio is right.

Good luck!

I think maybe it’s a prep issue, I definitely need to work on my cuticle work, I have watched a few videos on this this morning and I’m not spending enough time doing this. It could also be my ratio as well but I’ll keep going I’m sure I’ll get better!

I was thinking maybe getting a job in a salon I might learn a lot more? That was my original plan when I started this course, but then I got Pregnant with my second child and I doubt anywhere would want to take on a 4 month pregnant woman!

Send us your full prep procedure - when I first trained I struggled with this but my prep was nowhere near what it should have been.
Send us the above and it might help us pinpoint for you :)
Did you mention this to your trainer?

I haven’t been in college since, I’ll see her on Saturday so I’ll bring it up then x

I usually start off by buffing with a 180 grit file (the blue NSI file, not sure if that’s definitely 180!), then I apply NSI cuticle remover, use a cuticle pusher and a cuticle knife to lift from the nail plate, then trim the excess cuticle with cuticle nippers, then wipe over the nail with a lint free wipe and NSI dehydrator, then apply the forms, then primer, then go in with the product.

I have watched a couple of videos this morning on cuticle work and I’m not checking the side walls for cuticle I’m literally just concentrating at the top, maybe that’s where I’m going wrong? To be honest on all the sets of done in college mine are the ones that usually last the longest out of everyone else, typical my first clients pop off within hours! :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for all your help it’s much appreciated xx

Latest posts

Back