First few sets of acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiffany.

Reaction score
Hi all

Have searched on here but not found exactly what I'm wanting...
I've just learnt acrylics through S2, don't actually qualify till the 14th of March as we need to learn gel next. I've started to practice on friends and other willing volunteers. I did my first set on Saturday (took 4 hours! :eek:) that time will come down with practice I'm hoping :) but their so bumpy, I'm struggling to find the right amount of l&p to place on the nail to keep it looking natural. Is this something everyone else felt when they started? I'm always getting a bump between the smile line & the apex... Aarrggh! I will not give up though! I shall succeed by my gosh is it hard to master :mad:
Could people post some photos of their first sets and how they over came any problems they had... I'm really struggling with smile lines too, trying to make them look natural (especially near the corners of the smile line) any experiences will make me feel better!
Thanks guts:green:

Hi all

Have searched on here but not found exactly what I'm wanting...
I've just learnt acrylics through S2, don't actually qualify till the 14th of March as we need to learn gel next. I've started to practice on friends and other willing volunteers. I did my first set on Saturday (took 4 hours! :eek:) that time will come down with practice I'm hoping :) but their so bumpy, I'm struggling to find the right amount of l&p to place on the nail to keep it looking natural. Is this something everyone else felt when they started? I'm always getting a bump between the smile line & the apex... Aarrggh! I will not give up though! I shall succeed by my gosh is it hard to master :mad:
Could people post some photos of their first sets and how they over came any problems they had... I'm really struggling with smile lines too, trying to make them look natural (especially near the corners of the smile line) any experiences will make me feel better!
Thanks guts:green:

Hi tiffany,

I trained with CND end of last year and I too am still putting the l+p on too thick still and it is taking me FOREVER to do a set! It was 4hours, now it's 3ish so time will become less the more we practice (I hope!) I'm struggling with the smile lines too, I have ordered some dirt cheap tips from eBay purely to practice my smile line on! But I also have a nail trainer which I use to practice full sets on at anytime I feel like it and my sets are improving their still a bit thick but don't tend to be as bumpy anymore. :) xxx

Jo xxx
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

practice picking up small medium and large beads once you can master your bead size and judge the size needed for the nail it will get easier. i had the same problem when i trained but now i can judge my bead sizes i'm down to @90mins per set HTH

I think that the majority of people starting out in nails find it incredibly challenging it really isn't as easy as the pro's make it look.

Keep practising though and with each set you will find something 'clicks' in to place.

To be a good nail technician takes a long time and needs a lot of determination, keep at it and you'll get there x

hi i passed a few months ago it takes me around 2 and a half hours to do a full set still not confident enough to start charging people to do a set and its costing me a lot of money just practising on my friends and family and infills are my problem

Hi,
First of all, we've all been where you are at now...so I know how you're feeling. You're not alone :hug:
If you keep at it, try to adjust the sizes of your product bead and practise practise practise!

After all, if it was a case of picking up a brush and applying some product then wouldn't everybody be doing it? Keep up the good work and you're in the best hands possible having CND as your educational route :)

Hi Tiffany,

Firstly, don't despair! The trick to this is to be able to tell by looking what size of bead you need, and this comes with practice, A LOT of practice!!!!
Remember as well to sculpt with your brush, not later with the file, as its the filing that takes the time.
also are you using the right grit for the right job? if you're using too fine a grit file it will take longer to finish off.

Hope thathelps

Sue x

Latest posts

Back