First job as a Nail Tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhanced-Barbie

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to this forum so I am looking forward to talking with everyone.

I have been studying Nail Technology for the last 6 months and will be for the next 6 months too.

I am starting my first job as a Junior Technician this week and am quite nervous as the place I study doesn't have the best reputation (which I found out after starting study), and the lady who employed me seemed quite worried when I told her where I study.

Any tips for starting a new job? I will also be using different products at work than what I use for study.

Thanks for any advice :hug:

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to this forum so I am looking forward to talking with everyone.

I have been studying Nail Technology for the last 6 months and will be for the next 6 months too.

I am starting my first job as a Junior Technician this week and am quite nervous as the place I study doesn't have the best reputation (which I found out after starting study), and the lady who employed me seemed quite worried when I told her where I study.

Any tips for starting a new job? I will also be using different products at work than what I use for study.

Thanks for any advice :hug:

First off welcome to the geek.
Different product ranges have different application techniques and mix ratios, so it would be advisable to get some product training in the product that you will be using in the salon.

Last edited:
Heya, thanks for your reply.

Yup im doing the training through a College using Creative Products.
I cannot remember for the life of me which products I will be using at my job, its one I havent heard of before, but I used them once cos they got me to do a set of nails as a trial, and I found a lot more liquid was required to get a good concistancy.
I'm more worried that I havent been taught anything about backfills etc, and even with the application of enhancements we are pretty much left to our own devices, our tutor just checks them when we have finished, but as I've learnt quite quickly, just because they look good, doesnt mean they are going to be long lasting, strong nails.
I guess all I can do is practise as much as I can from home before I start work!

Ring the salon and ask them what the brand was, then come back and do a search on that brand.

Lots of places seem to concentrate on teaching full sets when rebalances are our bread and butter.

Have a read of the tutorials on here, there's lots of valuable information.

Ring the salon and ask them what the brand was, then come back and do a search on that brand.

Lots of places seem to concentrate on teaching full sets when rebalances are our bread and butter.

Have a read of the tutorials on here, there's lots of valuable information.

Thanks for that, I will have to set aside some time to go through this site properly, I'm really glad I came across it as this is the first time I've come across other people that are really into nails :)
My mum is going into where I will be working to get a backfill this Friday, so I think ill be a chicken and get her to find out the which products they are, that will give me a day to suss it out lol.
I'm also going to see if I can get my tutor to take me through a backfill and rebalance when I go to tech this week, hopefully that will see me ready for work!

My mum is going into where I will be working to get a backfill this Friday, so I think ill be a chicken and get her to find out the which products they are, that will give me a day to suss it out lol.
Don't be scared off the people you'll be working with hun. Any boss worth anything will be happy to answer questions for you. They wont you to do the best job you can too.

Don't be scared off the people you'll be working with hun. Any boss worth anything will be happy to answer questions for you. They wont you to do the best job you can too.

I agree with this.

The best way to start is just to go for it and jump in with both feet.

Learning on the job is also the quickest way to gain experience.

One NoTe of Caution: It is the easiest thing in the world for an untrained /new technician to pick up really bad habits when learning from other nail technicians in a salon.

Hopefully your college is teaching you the correct, safe and healthy way to do nails ... so stick to your guns and don't do anything to compromise what you know is the correct way to do things.

You can always check with us but remember that "short cuts make long delays" and most of the bad habits you will pick up Will be to short cut the service. things like:

Filing the nail during prep instead of using safe methods of cuticle removal
Yanking off old product with nippers instead of removing safely and gently
Yanking off lifted material with cuticle nippers instead of filing it off
Doing incomplete prep
Re gluing lifting or curling instead of repairing it correctly

Things of this nature .. I'm sure others can add.

Stick to what you know is right and be willing to be a helpful part of the salon team. I'm sure yo'll do great. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back