First job nerves

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deena

Reaction score
What advice would you give to someone who'd been given the opportunity to do a day a week in a salon doing nails, when it was her first such job and she was very nervous ie competing with much more experienced techs locally and generally not being very sure of herself? :irked:

Does everyone feel like this and how's best to handle it? Any advice/experiences welcome, thanks. :)

What advice would you give to someone who'd been given the opportunity to do a day a week in a salon doing nails, when it was her first such job and she was very nervous ie competing with much more experienced techs locally and generally not being very sure of herself? :irked:

Does everyone feel like this and how's best to handle it? Any advice/experiences welcome, thanks. :)

I would say congratulations! I would also say that her trade test must have gone well and that she should have some faith in her work. I would also say that I hope the other girls are nice and maybe will even give her some advice and tips if she ever gets stuck. I would tell her that if the other girls are a bunch of witches she should ignore them and do her best!

I have been in a similar position, and the other girls used to rub out clients in my column and put them in their own columns. One girl told my boss that I was swearing at clients, I was then asked to leave! I told them where to stick their job! The girl that made my life hell was one who almost got thrown out of college for her bad behaviour and has also been arrested and charged with ABH. What a delightful girl!

I also think that no experience is truly bad experience as you can get an idea of how you dont want to do things! But I really hope that things go well for the girl who has got the job in the salon and I wish her all the luck in the world xx

Good Luck

Every New Job Is Frightening But I Bet In Six Months Time You Will Be Laughing At This Thread And

Have A Good Rep To Dye For

A Client Base

A Probably Had To Do More Hours Because You Are So Busy

Dont Worry

just look at it as a great oppertunity to learn a lot. the more clients you do the better u will get. everyone had to start somewhere and those more expirienced nail techs were in ur shoes at one time. u will be fine. good luck

Go for it ,what a great oppertunity i can imagine how nervous you are but you will be fine. Good luck

hey

yeah i am in the same boat as you!!

i currently work in an office and go to college 2 evenings a week - i recently passed my Creative L&P course about 1 month ago and i have since done brisa gel.

i went to a job interview at a salon that uses creative products - i just wanted to try it and see what would happen etc.

i got a call about 5 days later offering me the job!!

i was really pleased and suprised!!

i am excited and very nervous i start there in April - i believe she is going to spend time trainng me a little while its quiter and then when summer comes etc i will be more confident.

i have handed my notice in and i'm quite excited!!!

Good Luck!!!:green:

Id say go for it!!!

I qualified as a nail technician, which was amazing but had no confidence and no experience. I hid away behind a dental reception for 1 1/2 years, until one day i found the courage to send out my cv to every salon near me.

I got a job in one of the best salons in my area which made it even more daunting, but each day i went(nervous as hell) grit my teeth and did the best i could!

I havent looked back since,

go for it and dont look back. x

Thanks everyone. I know I'm really lucky to have this opportunity, but I'd be the only nail tech in a new salon. One minute I'm up and the next I'm worrying about making a mess of things, having disgruntled clients or simply being presented with situations I've no experience of and feel like phoning the owner back and making my excuses. My 'Menu' is quite basic, I'm still quite slow at it but everyone had to start somewhere and so I've just got to bite the bullet and go for it. If I back out, I know I'm going to kick myself later. xx

I didn't do a trade test, but I explained the situation to the owner. She just asked me if I could show her anything and so I went along wearing my own nails. She looked at them and said they were the sort of thing she was looking for, as they looked 'Natural.' :)

You will be fine hun, i promise you,
don't even think about your speed,
it is amazing how quick you get once you are in a salon doing nails all the time, it happens naturally,
good luck in your new job :hug:

Latest posts

Back