First post, advice on insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P11XYP

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I started studying Level 2 Beauty Therapy (I bet you don't get tired of reading that lol!) in September, and I am now at the stage where I am confident enough to offer treatments to family and friends. I've already been practising, but I'd like to take it to the next level by charging a small fee.
I've been told I don't need student insurance, but it's a good idea to have it "just in case"!
I've searched on here and a few have been recommended: Salon Gold, Towergate, ABT & The guild.

I am just about to press "buy" on any one of these, though a friend on the course has gotten her's from FHT and she also has the Guild too.
Do I need both?

Thank you in advance x

Sounds good that you’re feeling confident enough to practise on real clients. Well done on your progress so far.

Bear in mind until you receive written confirmation from the Exam Board (city & guilds/VTCT), you’re not fully qualified to offer treatments so ideally, you should purchase student insurance to cover you if someone suffers harm. Some students wrongly believed themselves qualified after passing the individual assessments at college but the college doesn’t have authority to award the qualification, only the examining body can do that.

Also, it’s not uncommon for some people to become allergic to the chemicals used in beauty/nail treatments so whether you’re a student or fully qualified for many years, this can still happen at any time. In fact, people usually don’t have a severe reaction initially, but it can happen gradually after exposure over a few sessions. Being insured will mean that the insurance company can deal with any claims on your behalf. It’s very rare indeed to have someone claim for an allergic reaction but not completely unheard of, so it’s wise to purchase insurance.

No point buying two lots of insurance as you can’t claim on both of them for the same incident. Just find the cover that suits your circumstances best.

Carry on practising, you’re doing grand!

Sounds good that you’re feeling confident enough to practise on real clients. Well done on your progress so far.

Bear in mind until you receive written confirmation from the Exam Board (city & guilds/VTCT), you’re not fully qualified to offer treatments so ideally, you should purchase student insurance to cover you if someone suffers harm. Some students wrongly believed themselves qualified after passing the individual assessments at college but the college doesn’t have authority to award the qualification, only the examining body can do that.

Also, it’s not uncommon for some people to become allergic to the chemicals used in beauty/nail treatments so whether you’re a student or fully qualified for many years, this can still happen at any time. In fact, people usually don’t have a severe reaction initially, but it can happen gradually after exposure over a few sessions. Being insured will mean that the insurance company can deal with any claims on your behalf. It’s very rare indeed to have someone claim for an allergic reaction but not completely unheard of, so it’s wise to purchase insurance.

No point buying two lots of insurance as you can’t claim on both of them for the same incident. Just find the cover that suits your circumstances best.

Carry on practising, you’re doing grand!

Thank you so much for your reply and extremely kind words .

Good afternoon,

I started studying Level 2 Beauty Therapy (I bet you don't get tired of reading that lol!) in September, and I am now at the stage where I am confident enough to offer treatments to family and friends. I've already been practising, but I'd like to take it to the next level by charging a small fee.
I've been told I don't need student insurance, but it's a good idea to have it "just in case"!
I've searched on here and a few have been recommended: Salon Gold, Towergate, ABT & The guild.

I am just about to press "buy" on any one of these, though a friend on the course has gotten her's from FHT and she also has the Guild too.
Do I need both?

Thank you in advance x

I tried to get student insurance when I was at college and it’s very very sneaky. In the small print they always say ‘must be under supervision of lecturer for all treatments otherwise will not be covered.’ I gave up in the end, and made it clear to my massage models that it was practice and they filled out my college model paperwork. I didn’t charge them.

I wouldn’t recommend charging until you are trained and have full insurance as once money changes hands you are liable.

I don’t think you will find student insurance that allows you to work alone unsupervised but good luck as I gave up looking. Could always go to college on days off and do more clients than required for practice.

Latest posts

Back