First set of extensions-disappointed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkyMama

Reaction score
Well ladies... Am back from doing my first set of micro ring extensions on a real person and feel so disappointed. It didn't turn out how I wanted at all. I know the mistakes I made... hair wasn't thick enough, sections too big meaning I couldn't add enough hair... and I know this is why it's important to practice on friends and family first. I ended up having to cut the extensions to the same length as her natural hair as they were just too thin at the ends. She was happy with the volume added though which is good. Another issue was she had coloured her hair since colour matching so no doubt tomorrow in daylight they won't match. Am going to try doing her hair again with nanos.

I am doing another set tomorrow so hopefully I can learn from my mistakes today and keep the length.

Attachments

• 20181110_001431.jpg
    20181110_001431.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 150
The right side looks a little longer but that could be the way she’s standing, I think other then that it looks okay, you should of took a photo of the actual fitting so we could check what went wrong and help you with it x

The right side looks a little longer but that could be the way she’s standing, I think other then that it looks okay, you should of took a photo of the actual fitting so we could check what went wrong and help you with it x
Here is one row. I am pretty sure my sections were too big.

Attachments

• 20181109_232648.jpg
    20181109_232648.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 141
Hey hun! So when you section the hair, the square sections you have made are wrong & are used for LA weave fittings to support the weight of a track of hair. You need to take upside down triangular sections not square. If you don't want to use the upside down triangular method you can use a small thin rectangular sectioning method which needs to be in line with the bond you make. SO sections as big as the bond/micro/nano/keratin.

BTW your sectioning and application on the dolls head was 100% correct!

1541857253927.png

Hey hun! So when you section the hair, the square sections you have made are wrong & are used for LA weave fittings to support the weight of a track of hair. You need to take upside down triangular sections not square. If you don't want to use the upside down triangular method you can use a small thin rectangular sectioning method which needs to be in line with the bond you make. SO sections as big as the bond/micro/nano/keratin.

BTW your sectioning and application on the dolls head was 100% correct!

View attachment 208184
Thank you so much! The sections on the lady I did today were much better... though still not perfect. Am having trouble uploading the picture of them. I blame the hair too. Won't be using GL Athena range again. Going to give Euphoria One a try.

My lady today. Still not perfect. She loved it though x

Attachments

• 20181110_191753.jpg
    20181110_191753.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 122
Whats important on your second lady is that the sectioning is much better & nothing is dangerous and no cross hairs going into other sections so it is a safe application. Try prestige I tried them the other day, really lovely hair.

Thank you so much Charlotte. I really appreciate your advice xx

Thank you so much Charlotte. I really appreciate your advice xx
Hiya,
Hiya!
its all trial and error dont be put off you will get there if you keep at it.

If you trained with belle they teach you to take 'a thumbs width' which ridiculous, far too big! sections look much better 2nd time just try and keep the lines dead straight.. when you use your pin tail comb let it do the work for you. don't try and section bit by bit just take the hair and in one swipe section it then sort it out after but the initial swipe will do most of the work.
Also try and pull the strand down a bit more so the top of the I tip doesn't stick out the ring too much, this will cause discomfort to the client they will dig in her head.

Good Luck!

Second sectioning looks really good! Just make sure when your cramping the bead shut the hair is laying flat so it dosnt stick out,
And in the before and after photo it looks slightly longer on the one side so I’d google hair cutting videos to help as cutting extensons shorter is quite hard!! You need to make sure your following a guideline otherwise it ends up being abit wonky x x

I did hairdressing so have a basic knowledge of cutting, they don’t teach you in detail how to cut on the extension course :/ so I’d really recommend watching some cutting videos xxx

Thank you so much ladies. They do teach thumbs width! Am looking forward to trying again. Definitely not put off. I love doing them xx

Latest posts

Back