First set of gel nails in 7 years

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemforster

Reaction score
This is my first set of gel nails with white tips in 7 years. I'm going to book on the CND course, but thought I'd get some practise in first.

I know they're not perfect, but this is my first critique, so please be gentle lol

I did have some problems with airbubbles and struggled to not touch the cuticle with gel. Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks in advance xx

Anyone willing to offer any critique? xx

hiya, nails look ok but need some work.....

side walls need filing, tips are splaying out too much, upper arch needs building also as looks too flat so will not last long, didnt look like any air bubbles

am hoping this helps, dont want to dent confidence....practice makes perfect x

most of your nails are tapered squares but your index finger on your left hand appears to be a competiton nail...

side walls need filing, tips are splaying out too much, upper arch needs building also as looks too flat so will not last long, didnt look like any air bubbles

Thank you for your help, I see what you mean about the side walls and upper arch (i did struggle with the apex to be honest), but I'm not sure what you mean about the tips? Can you explain what you mean? xx

most of your nails are tapered squares but your index finger on your left hand appears to be a competiton nail...

All of the tips were out of the same batch, so not sure how that could have happened? lol

All of the tips were out of the same batch, so not sure how that could have happened? lol

lol how v strange.. maybe the angle of the camera shot perhaps?

Hey, they're ok!

They're a pretty set of nails.

I'd like to see them looking a bit less flat . . . they'd be stronger that way too. And most of them are a little tapered which is really flattering but just be careful to make them all the same. As has been already said, there's a bit of bulge at the sidewall (tip area) and it's always on the same side of the nail so maybe that's down to application, or a bit of slump which has happened while working on the nail? Have you tried freeze-curing the gel when you have the perfect shape (10 secs under the lamp will do it) . . . or maybe all that's needed is just a bit of shaping with the file to smooth off those sidewalls, using a bit more pressure to get rid of the "bulge" - before appling the final topcoat of gel.

But for a first set in 7 years I'd say they're nice :wink2:

Hey, they're ok!

They're a pretty set of nails.

I'd like to see them looking a bit less flat . . . they'd be stronger that way too. And most of them are a little tapered which is really flattering but just be careful to make them all the same. As has been already said, there's a bit of bulge at the sidewall (tip area) and it's always on the same side of the nail so maybe that's down to application, or a bit of slump which has happened while working on the nail? Have you tried freeze-curing the gel when you have the perfect shape (10 secs under the lamp will do it) . . . or maybe all that's needed is just a bit of shaping with the file to smooth off those sidewalls, using a bit more pressure to get rid of the "bulge" - before appling the final topcoat of gel.

But for a first set in 7 years I'd say they're nice :wink2:

Thanks Blossom, I'll take all that on board x

if you re go over side walls slightly turning bringing your file towards middle of the nail it should help make the shape a lot nicer, this is hard to explain!! the edge of the tips are going outwards if that makes sense!!

also using your file flat underneath the tip and filing should help also

they do look nice clean nails apart from the shape xxx

if you re go over side walls slightly turning bringing your file towards middle of the nail it should help make the shape a lot nicer, this is hard to explain!! the edge of the tips are going outwards if that makes sense!!

also using your file flat underneath the tip and filing should help also

they do look nice clean nails apart from the shape xxx

Ah, I think I know what you mean now...they're the first set of well less tips I've used, and I must admit to having problems with them...I think thats why they're splayed.

Thanks again xx

you did well hun and should give yourself a pat on the back,

ive had nails done in salons that havent looked as good to be honest!!

i just wish when i had started out id had this site and ppl to critique me.....it wouldnt have taken me so long to get to where i am lol x

you did well hun and should give yourself a pat on the back,

ive had nails done in salons that havent looked as good to be honest!!

i just wish when i had started out id had this site and ppl to critique me.....it wouldnt have taken me so long to get to where i am lol x

Aw thank you! That's why I gave up last time to be honest, no help when I needed it. This site is amazing!! xx

I agree with all this.
Along the sidewalls to the end of the tip needs to be parallel, otherwise you will get the look of the tips spooning out. The apex could do with building up, especially on flat nails. This is where the strength comes from. If you don't build up on the stress area, they could start pinging off. :)

Latest posts

Back