first set of nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah1984

Reaction score
Well geeks, Im being very brave and posting my first ever set of nails on a human! lol

81460e981bf5761f4509a3344c99cbe05431.jpeg

I know where I have gone wrong or can improve on - more prep on cuticles, sidewalls on some nails could be better.

Any other advice? Greatly appreciated as I really want to perfect them before I start clients. Its just getting the practice. Its ok on the nail trainer, but the nail trainer doesnt have cuticles, cant see the growth of natural nail etc

Can't really see from the size of the photo. Can you enlarge it?

mamma said:
Can't really see from the size of the photo. Can you enlarge it?

ditto

Yeah, the picture could be a little bigger....??? x

i dont know if i can, it was taken with my mobile phone. the ones i took with my dig camera didnt show up well.

its a bit fuzzy though enlarged

The pic is a bit fuzzy but well done anyway - from what i can see you have done a good job -especially for you 1st attempt!
Well done for posting the pic too!!
How long did they take you? Was your client happy?
Well done again!!!! xxx

thanks, they took me 2 and a half hours. thought that it wasnt too bad time wise for my first set.
Client was pleased yes, she was my mate though and had them done for free!

I just need more people now to practice on! Tempted to do my own nails, but can imagine doing my right hand very very hard!

Would it be silly to try looking for clients now with a special offer, like introductory rate, then they getting cheaper nails and im getting practice?!

i think they look pretty good aswell for your 1st go well done , don't worry about time , i'm very slow (1 1/2 hours - 2 hours) but all my clients agree they don't mind as long as the finished result is good ! when i started i did family and friends to practice on, but then their friends asked for sets o0h i felt a bit scared charging as i was 'new' at doing them but they wanted them done so i charged them £15.00 a set i couldn't keep up !! this covered the cost of my products and gave my lots of people to practice on, many of these ladies are still my best clients!! i did this offer for about 3 months, hope this helps and well done xx :lol: :lol: :lol:

2 & a half hours is Brill, Yeah i would do a special introductory price of £12-£15 ish to cover time & costs, but dont do it forever!! Think of the money you have spent on your training etc!
Get some posters made & let us know how you get on xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for advice, will definately get some posters/flyers made up with introductory rate. Should I put normal prices on it too? I need to research prices round here for mobile first though. lol

oh yes and how much would you charge for rebalances during the offer?

Yes, defo put your normal prices on display too, i would maybe do a rebalance for the same price or a pound or two less.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi hannah, they look really lovely and they all match really nicely!! i am in the same situation as you, not sure whether to start off at a cheaper price or not. Ive done a few sets on friends & family etc too..
I think tho, as long as we are doing the job right, no matter how long it takes, we should be able to charge what the more 'experienced' techs charge? We have passed our assessments after all?
Is it just that maybe you don't feel that confident yet? Im not sure i feel very confident yet,(nerves i think!) but i have also bought the essential nails maintenence course just to give me a bit more confidence when it comes to infills/rebalancing and repairs etc. I think im gonna take the risk & start off around £25.00 a set & just keep practising in between on nail trainer & family & friends..

beki xxx

Thanks Shelley.

Beki, I think that it is partly due to confidence and experience. I would like to charge a good price to start off with e.g £25, its just if the quality isnt as good as what I could be say, 3 months down the line, Im going to lose clients. If I do an introductory offer for a few months as Clara / Shelley suggested then Ill hopefully get more interest and they will stay as I improve. Does that make sense? Im going to buy the maintenance dvd&book from EN, think its £25. Would buy the course but just brought most of the materials you get separtely. lol

hi there :p
, FAB NAILS , I WISH I WAS AS GOOD , need loads more practice yet before i dare post any pics,the thing that worries me as a new nail tech , with next to no-one to practice on is, when your clent leaves you how will the nails hold up , will they start lifting etc, they may look fab when they are newly finished but after a couple of baths , washing up , general house work and hair washing will they still be quite so attached to there owner, i hoping to go mobile and work from home , i am up against a great salon in my area , all my friends go there and there nails look perfect, i stand talking to them but my eyes are following the hands looking at there nails , they all think ive gone mad.:grr:

Well you did a fab job with those. You ARE brave to post the pic, but really it isnt that bad at all, not compared to my first set on a, hee hee, HUMAN. That made me chuckle.
I see you use L&P, the only thing I notice that stands out is the few bumps on the surface, maybe concentrate on the smooth finish. Look for that 'line of light'' going down the nail.
Let us know how the infills go. But take a pick 1st and then one after. Keep the camera nice and still, rest it on something so it doesnt shake.
Good luck.

mandy121060 said:
Well you did a fab job with those. You ARE brave to post the pic, but really it isnt that bad at all, not compared to my first set on a, hee hee, HUMAN. That made me chuckle.
I see you use L&P, the only thing I notice that stands out is the few bumps on the surface, maybe concentrate on the smooth finish. Look for that 'line of light'' going down the nail.
Let us know how the infills go. But take a pick 1st and then one after. Keep the camera nice and still, rest it on something so it doesnt shake.
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I did those nails back in April I think, and didnt take pics of the rebalance before or after - sorry.

Latest posts

Back