First set with Gelish Polygel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beauty of Polygel is that you have unlimited time to shape the product. Use your brush to your advantage.
I like to work on the free edge first, I will firmly pat it down, then use my brush to shape the edge and swipe the product up and away from under the free edge. It's difficult to explain. I hope that makes sense.
Do you have any pictures or examples of this technique, working from the free edge back. Thank you Linda

I had a feeling. Good for you. I'm in Michigan and those prices would be considered high.
What files do you use for the Polygel?
Don't forget, she's in Canada.

Do you have any pictures or examples of this technique, working from the free edge back. Thank you Linda
I don't have videos and/or pictures of procedure I use. I could put something together but it may take me a while

The question of using clear forms when sculpting. Maybe sculpt the nail. And after removing the form cure the nails again upside-down. So the light hits the underside of the nails? If you don't have clear forms?

The question of using clear forms when sculpting. Maybe sculpt the nail. And after removing the form cure the nails again upside-down. So the light hits the underside of the nails? If you don't have clear forms?
The only problem is that the product adheres to the form so when you try to take it off, it damages and moves the Polygel underneath.

I tried polygel for the first time a couple of days ago. I am in love. After one application I'm ready to switch from hard gel and never go back. I'm just waiting to see how adherence goes and see if I get lifting. So light and so strong, even when thin! I cured in a 36W UV light for 2 min on foil forms without any issues at all. I only used clear, though. White might be a problem. The product files sooo nicely! All you need is a 180 grit file. I was mainly doing gel polish because hard gel sets are so finicky. I can apply an extension all with one bead (it would take at least two with just clear gel) and NO HEAT SPIKES! The gel I normally use is prone to heat spikes and I'm constantly worried that clients will be injured. I got the last trial kit at my local store and now and I'm dying for the master kit! LOVE <3

The only problem is that the product adheres to the form so when you try to take it off, it damages and moves the Polygel underneath.
Hi do you know if acrylic can be used to fill over polygel. My lamp just stopped working and I need to repair one of my nails asap. Thanks

Hi do you know if acrylic can be used to fill over polygel. My lamp just stopped working and I need to repair one of my nails asap. Thanks
I haven't tried and honestly I would have to ask my trainer I don't see why not, if only to fix one

Just tried the Polygel for the first time yesterday. So far I really like the product. I have been a loyal CND fan since the early 80's but have clients who have issues with the smells. This will be perfect for them. I have a couple of questions that I cant seem to find answers to. 1. Can you add glitter or colorant to the clear? I have so many clients that love their glitter tips. 2. Could you do an acrylic tip with the Polygel over the bed of the nail? 3. Do you need to use a clear form when sculpting the tip? Some say the product remains tacky on the underside if a foil tip is used.
Yes. One of my favorite things to do with the Polygel and hard gels is to mix in about a drop of gel polish to add a desired color. I find that can create beautiful milky natural whites for French tips and also beautiful pinks and nudes for the cover. I find most Gelish gel polish to be very pigmented to only a drop or even half a drop is needed for the color payoff you need.

So ladies, I’ve been having a bit of an issue. From what was initially said about this product, it is supposed to be more flexible than acrylic(a small about, yep it is) , and stronger than hard gel (not so much… or at all) in my experience with this over the past few weeks. Has anyone else had issues like this with this product? I’ve had issues with an extension cracking and breakin easily at the edge of the natural nail. Even more so, it cratches and chips very very easily. I know the product is advertised as soft for filing, (I think it’s slightly harder to file than hard gel actually) but I’ve had issues where the sidewalls and free edge will scratch and have chips easily be taken out. Anyone else??

So ladies, I’ve been having a bit of an issue. From what was initially said about this product, it is supposed to be more flexible than acrylic(a small about, yep it is) , and stronger than hard gel (not so much… or at all) in my experience with this over the past few weeks. Has anyone else had issues like this with this product? I’ve had issues with an extension cracking and breakin easily at the edge of the natural nail. Even more so, it cratches and chips very very easily. I know the product is advertised as soft for filing, (I think it’s slightly harder to file than hard gel actually) but I’ve had issues where the sidewalls and free edge will scratch and have chips easily be taken out. Anyone else??

Never had any issues at all with it personally.
All the polygel extensions and overlays I have done feel just as strong as acrylic. And it literally files like a dream.
What lamp are you using?

Never had any issues at all with it personally.
All the polygel extensions and overlays I have done feel just as strong as acrylic. And it literally files like a dream.
What lamp are you using?
I’m using an LED and UV light that’s a two in one arch. It’s the 24w by SunUV. I’ve had great use with it in the past. It works great with all of my builder gels, structure gel, Gelish system products and polishes, and even very cheap gel polish that I’ve ordered online from not-so reputable brands. My past experiences with my light had made me not even think the issues I was having with Polygel could be due to that. What wattage is the one you use currently with the best results?

I’m currently using forms on all my sets (I’m still testing out the product on myself before putting on clients yet) and do have the slight issue where the underside doesn’t cure, however I’ve found that an additional 60 seconds in an led light after first cure can reduce or stop that. I love my shiny undersides with clean forms! My biggest issue is that I’ve found the product to be too soft, and I have to use more product to build up the structure and strength, resulting in bulkier nails. My typical structure that I create with hard gels lasts very well with no snapping of the extension at the edge of the natural nail. However with Polygel that’s not at all the case, and I’m super disappointed. I’d heard such great things from nearly everyone in the community. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I’m using an LED and UV light that’s a two in one arch. It’s the 24w by SunUV. I’ve had great use with it in the past. It works great with all of my builder gels, structure gel, Gelish system products and polishes, and even very cheap gel polish that I’ve ordered online from not-so reputable brands. My past experiences with my light had made me not even think the issues I was having with Polygel could be due to that. What wattage is the one you use currently with the best results?

I’m currently using forms on all my sets (I’m still testing out the product on myself before putting on clients yet) and do have the slight issue where the underside doesn’t cure, however I’ve found that an additional 60 seconds in an led light after first cure can reduce or stop that. I love my shiny undersides with clean forms! My biggest issue is that I’ve found the product to be too soft, and I have to use more product to build up the structure and strength, resulting in bulkier nails. My typical structure that I create with hard gels lasts very well with no snapping of the extension at the edge of the natural nail. However with Polygel that’s not at all the case, and I’m super disappointed. I’d heard such great things from nearly everyone in the community. Any thoughts?

Sounds like it could be a curing issue to me.
Have you done the polygel training? x

Sounds like it could be a curing issue to me.
Have you done the polygel training? x
Yes. Although I felt like I learned more from Nain Career Education’s review of the product.

Yes. Although I felt like I learned more from Nain Career Education’s review of the product.

Just noticed you are in the US. Not sure if it’s the same as in the Uk but Is there any way you can contact your educator to get some help with your issues?
Although it really does sound to me like the lamp you are using isn’t fully curing the product. x

Just noticed you are in the US. Not sure if it’s the same as in the Uk but Is there any way you can contact your educator to get some help with your issues?
Although it really does sound to me like the lamp you are using isn’t fully curing the product. x
Hm, I’ll try that and see if she has any ideas.
Thanks again!

When sculpting a French with Polygel your supposed to create a thin extension on the form with clear first. Cure and then remove form and build pink and white. That's how the product gets cured through. Also white is to be applied thin and cured 60 sec. Have you tried that yet?

The speed and ease of application is unlike anything I have ever tried. I have been mastering acrylics and gels for over 11 years and this is by far the best and simplest. Until I do a few more sets and see how it fares on my tough clients, I won't be recommending it as a must have.
Is it different, yes.
They have small and large trial kits, so no need to invest in to a full stock
Do you like this make ? Is it runny ?

Latest posts

Back