First Shellac on myself - couple of issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
Hi, so I've had a go on myself. Have started with Grapefruit Sparkle just to get my confidence off and try working on my application. Did a thin as possible base layer and 2 thin layers of colour with a thin layer of top coat..

Now I'm not sure what occurred but after removing the inhibition layer nails felt a bit tacky so went back over assuming I'd not removed the sticky layer enough. All well and fine on the one hand, except one finger was dull so did another layer of top coat and fine.

Other hand similar thing - left with a slight tacky feeling despite trying to remove inhibition layer. I thought maybe I'm applying my top coat too thin? So I applied another layer of top coat and now fine.

Could anyone enlighten me on where I may be going wrong. They weren't dull just slightly tacky. I know that as Grapefruit Sparkle is a sheer colour I may even have even gone too thin as well as I wouldn't be able to tell.

I've also applied a sticky piece of nail art on the ring finger after removing the inhibition layer & before applying the second layer of top coat. I'm assuming that's ok?

My nails are VERY short but my damaged little pinkie is finally growing out so hopefully I will have nice 'tappy-happy' nails now that I've added a bit of strength on them to help them grow.

Not sure how they'll last as sealing the free edge was a bit tricky but if all is well and they grow and last then I may be brave and try a colour next time. :D

Grapefruit Sparkle.jpg

They look beautiful :)

If you using the new topcoat i've noticed that it sometimes does feel a little tacky after coming straight out of the lamp but it disappears after a few mins.

If it looks slightly dull it could be your IPA is not the correct strength (it should be 99% or it will cloud, dsperse is 99%) or it could also be a hand placement issue ? do you have the CND UV or LED lamp? i know there is more room for error with hand placement in the LED lamp.

They look beautiful :)

If you using the new topcoat i've noticed that it sometimes does feel a little tacky after coming straight out of the lamp but it disappears after a few mins.

If it looks slightly dull it could be your IPA is not the correct strength (it should be 99% or it will cloud, dsperse is 99%) or it could also be a hand placement issue ? do you have the CND UV or LED lamp? i know there is more room for error with hand placement in the LED lamp.

Hi, sorry I didn't give enough info. I use DSperse, the old topcoat, & the new CND LED lamp. I do have small hands.

I'd say Noreen is right with the lamp issue, I suspect your fingers are not quite in far enough. It's a little tricky with the new lamp, my clients have been given an introductory lesson on how to place their fingers ;):p

It sounds like a hand placement issue so, make sure your nails are completely bathed in light and your fingers are twisted under or placed too far or too short so that the light can't get at certain parts:)

Thanks guys, it's difficult as I have small, short hands as to know whats too far in or not far in enough. my left ring ringer is a size J so that gives you an idea. I'ts my first attempt on myself and thank you Noreen for saying they look nice - I didn't notice before! :oops:

They look lovely! Love the butterfly's!:)

Look into the lamp when its turn on and you can see the rectangle of light over the finger, make sure its coving the whole nail on all fingers :)

Than you Jodie077 [emoji4] just need to concentrate on getting them a tad longer to perfect application. I'm just nervous that in a couple of days I'll be on here stressing [emoji15][emoji23]

Look into the lamp when its turn on and you can see the rectangle of light over the finger, make sure its coving the whole nail on all fingers :)
Thank you Noreen I will make a point of checking next time. [emoji179]

I still think it's weird how cnd made their new lamp. I mean. If looks great, but the placement issues are insane for such a top brand imo.

Latest posts

Back