First steps?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violetcream

Reaction score
Hello,

I've lurked here for a while, for a long time I've been wanting to change careers and move towards becoming a nail tech.

I'm moving from full to part time in my current job and was thinking of taking my first steps. I see there are some amazing course run by the big names, but these are in gel polish and enhancements. I was thinking of starting out with some training in manicure/pedicure, then decide on which direction to take, but have found limited choices.

Would a course run by Capial or salon services be a good start or are there better options? I'm nearest to Edinburgh, but could also get to Glasgow in a pinch.

Any suggestions please?

Maybe you're better off starting with a brand you're wanting to use in the future? You can do all your training with nail harmony (Gelish) or shellac (I'm not sure who does the training). I've not heard great things when people do their training with salon services etc as its very quick and basic :)

Hello,

I've lurked here for a while, for a long time I've been wanting to change careers and move towards becoming a nail tech.

I'm moving from full to part time in my current job and was thinking of taking my first steps. I see there are some amazing course run by the big names, but these are in gel polish and enhancements. I was thinking of starting out with some training in manicure/pedicure, then decide on which direction to take, but have found limited choices.

Would a course run by Capial or salon services be a good start or are there better options? I'm nearest to Edinburgh, but could also get to Glasgow in a pinch.

Any suggestions please?

Hi

the fingertip centre is at newbrige which is where the CND training is held. I have done training with Captail ( waxing) and to be fair the course was informitive. I have also done mani/pedi with a private tutor who is registered with the Guild - however looking back now I wish i had went with a bigger named brand as beleive the support is supposed to be fantastic, I'm infact saving to do acrylics with CND

Thank you all. The fingertip centre looks amazing, and would be my first choice for shellac training or l &p, but they don't do a manicure/pedicure course, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Im trying to avoid Sally's/capital courses, but there seems so few that offer just pedi/mani.

I came across Glow beauty in Edinburgh. Has anyone done any training there?

P.s. Sorry for taking so long to reply. A big dose of life lumped itself in my lap, but all on the up now :)

Hiya i'm VERY new and looking into starting at the beginning and doing some training i just wondered if you decided on anywhere? I'm in edinburgh too and had been looking at the fingertips centre. I'll admit i'm absolutely clueless, not sure where to begin!

I did the basic mani/pedi course with Sally's in corstorphine a few years ago then the shellac training at the fingertips centre. The girls at the centre are fab! x

Is the sallys course accredited do you know? :)

Thanks, i'm gonna wait till i can save up a bit of money. Off work with a slipped disc at the moment so not ideal but it's time for a change i think! I've heard the centre is the best place to go so i think i'll go with them!

I did the basic mani/pedi course with Sally's in corstorphine a few years ago then the shellac training at the fingertips centre. The girls at the centre are fab! x

Do you feel the Sally's mani/pedi course was good? Maybe I should take that as my first step, then fingertips centre for anything after.

Also, would I need to buy a tunic for taking part in the course?

Yes most courses require professional dress and it would be useful later

Do you feel the Sally's mani/pedi course was good? Maybe I should take that as my first step, then fingertips centre for anything after.

Also, would I need to buy a tunic for taking part in the course?
It was just a one day course so limited as you would expect but it covered the basics and did what I needed it to to be able to do the cnd course and for insurance. I also got a nail tech textbook which is a great resource and still refer to it today. The cnd course covered the full nail prep and application so defo recommend that one! In addition I did the nsi acrylics course at capital hair in beauty in sighthill. The trainer was great there too and although held at capital wasn't part of that company. Hope that helps X

And yeh all courses ask for salon dress. I had mine but A fair amount of people turned up without! You can pick up tunics for next to nothing online so as blossom said worth it for the future

I'm still no closer to deciding! Sally's don't seem to be doing a course in Edinburgh for a while :(

Now looking at nail harmonys All that jazz mani/pedi course, or the young nails Lomasi mani/pedi course. Both look great. Anyone been on either?

Sorry to bump this, but Has anyone any experience of the all that jazz or young nails mani/pedi courses?

Have sorted my pennies and ready to book :)

I've done the all
That jazz training & can't recommend it enough.
It's reasonably priced, very informative & the products are a dream to work with. x

I've done the all
That jazz training & can't recommend it enough.
It's reasonably priced, very informative & the products are a dream to work with. x

Thank you, that's really helpful :)

Just a wee update, I went with the All that Jazz manicure/pedi course in the end, very excited!

Wondering what to do with my nails on the day, should I get my gel polish taken off and go with naked nails? I won't be being a model for anyone else.

Latest posts

Back