First time at hot waxing and stuck to my leg!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millyspook

Reaction score
Hi

I haven't trained in hot waxing yet only warm waxing but thought I would try it on myself first to see what it's like. Well, what a mess I got in. I am only using a cheap wax, I have perron rigot ready for when I do my training, so don't know if this is whats caused the problem.

Basically, I put it on after applying jasmine oil then, then tried to peel it off after it had set and it came off in tiny little pieces and half of it is still on my leg. I'm going to get the rest of with warm wax, Where did I go wrong?? Is it the quality of wax I used or maybe I need to apply it a bit thicker?

I remember when I was at college, a girl put hot wax down a clients leg and it wouldn't come off, I think the problem is, is because hot wax is better for small areas, your application might be to thin

Last edited:
The wax set. It needs to be still plyable not hard when you pull it off. You can get the wax off with hot wax by just going over the same spot. It's pretty easy once you have been shown how. I wouldn't wax a area larger than a deck of cards at the one time with hot wax. But you can apply a few of these at the same time if your quick. Oh and you apply hot wax a lot thicker than strip.

Cheaper hard waxes will set "hard" and not pliable - PR and Berins remain flexible when set and do not tend to crack - they can from time to time but it's really rare... (I can't comment on Lycon as I haven't tried it)

You can absolutely wax larger areas with hot wax but it's more expensive and time consuming - if a customer asks for it though then there is no reason not to but adjust your pricing accordingly.

It sounds to me as if you have applied the wax maybe a bit too thin which means it would "feather out" around the corners so you dont get a proper lip to lift and pull the wax and it would also be impossible to pull the whole strip off. You can either apply the hard wax over it again to remove it or use the soft wax to take it off.

Not sure what wax you used but try one of the new generation polymer waxes as they stay flexible as long as they are on the skin and wont go brittle or break (try Perron Rigot/Berins/Bebeau).

Thanks for all your replies, it all makes sense and I will try a smaller area another time. In the meantime, I really want to get booked in for a hot wax course with Kim Lawless.

It could have been applied too thinly, the edges were too feathered or it could be the wax.
The thing with anything that you try that is new, is to know how to use it.
It may not be the wax at all but just that you don't know how to use it properly.
Even very experienced waxers can struggle with hot wax to start with.
It' best to get some training to get the most out of your product and then you can practice after.

Latest posts

Back