First time French L&P on myself-feedback please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struckbyastar

Reaction score
So as you might know, I finished day 4 of 6 of my CND course Thursday and my mum is walking round with some rather bumpy acrylics.
I'm trying to get as much practise in as possible, so obviously the first step was to try a set on myself! I have tiny, ski jumped nails which doesn't help. Firstly let me point out my biggest problems are making the smile lines and secondly leaving enough space around the cuticle area to file smooth down. I would like to use a cover pink on my nails, but our kit only includes a sheer pink, so you can see some of my own free edge underneath.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1454784373.288248.jpg

I know I need a LOT of practise. Also it gets quite difficult because my left hand and fingers get very stiff and crampy as a result of a badly broken wrist. The middle finger is very bulky underneath, whereas all the others border on being too thin! On my little finger, I tried to smooth down at the cuticle line as much as possible but kept catching my skin so had to stop.
I know I'm asking for feedback.. But I'm quite nervous to post this! So please try and be nice! :)
Thanks in advance X

Maybe get a nail trainer to practise on, also when they are really bumpy but a layer of clear over to even them out, as for your smile lines just keep practising it took me ages to get the hang of acrylic, it's just trying to get the right amount on your brush for each of your 3 zones x

Well done Hun!! For 4 days your off to a good start [emoji5]️

As you aren't able to use a cover pink in training I would recommend putting the White a little deeper as you can see the natural line of your free edge underneath, and also I think the tip on the thumb is visible through the pink So double check your tip blending before going in with the pink :)

The rest will come naturally with more time and practice, and obviously you have fab guidance in Anna!! Keep up the good work and well done xx[emoji106] xx

I think they look really good, although I'm no expert in nails but they look good & keep practicing x

Maybe get a nail trainer to practise on, also when they are really bumpy but a layer of clear over to even them out, as for your smile lines just keep practising it took me ages to get the hang of acrylic, it's just trying to get the right amount on your brush for each of your 3 zones x
Tasha, I have a nail trainer, but I find it quite difficult to use as the nails are so big, wide and flat! They're the extremes to my tiny nails! Thanks for the tip about using the clear; that's not something we've been specifically taught so I'm probably best saving that tip for once I've completed the course!

Helward, yes I agree about the thumb. As for the other nails, I don't like the big white tips so think I was being over-cautious! x

Aww you can buy the different sized nails I have tiny ones that's like bitten nails and there really good x

It is really, really difficult to do your own nails.....even with years of experience! If you don't like working on your nail trainer buy in a load cheap practice tips and just keep creating those smile lines as smiley as you can get them and practice building your apex. Remember practice makes perfect :)

I'm in the same boat as you! I just finished day 4 on Thursday. Its such a good course but there's so much to take in. I'm really struggling with my smile lines. Trying to post a pic but the file is too large :(

Well done on completing your course, I would say the course is only part of it 95% is practice, practice, practice! To give you an honest critique, your smile lines need to be much deeper (but you know that anyway) filing near the cuticle to make it smooth:-
1. You shouldn't really have to do this apart from refining the product
2. With practice this area will be flush, not touching the cuticle, but still close that there Will be NO GAP!
3. Overly vigorous filing can cause, trauma to the natural nail & lifting of your product.

I would also work a bit more on your nail shaping, (although this is only my preference) I would go for either a more square or more almond shape as I find this shape unflattering!

Try to build more of a apex in zone 2, this will help mini sue that "ski jump" you've got going on & help to give you a more natural looking nail!

Your tip sizing looks great as the side walks look lovely & flush!!

Well done & keep up with the practice!

I still feel like I'm struggling with these smile lines and it's REALLY FRUSTRATING! I feel like I can't properly envisage the shape of it, but I've even tried drawing the smile line on as a marker and it still doesn't look right!

I think it's not helped because I'm so used to seeing a much less "pronounced" smile line on my nails, which I actually prefer in general, but I don't feel like I can't do them because I dislike them! (Does that make sense?! Lol)
Keen to try reverse French but don't want to attempt it till I've finished my course as I don't want to start picking up bad/non trained habits! This nail wheel I did tonight... The ones top left were the first I did, working round. Thoughts? Tips? Anyone got any sanity they're offering me?! X
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455229937.960301.jpg

This is good Hun - you literally have to keep doing this, over and over and over :) you can see improvement in this wheel alone so just keep going!!

You'll find as a nail tech that your never entirely happy and can always pick out ways to improve! Xx

This is good Hun - you literally have to keep doing this, over and over and over :) you can see improvement in this wheel alone so just keep going!!

You'll find as a nail tech that your never entirely happy and can always pick out ways to improve! Xx

So sorry if this sounds stupid, which ones on the wheel would you say are the best? I think I'm over thinking it all and have slightly lost sight of what i'm aiming for anymore!! :confused: Helward you have been my training boost so much already, I can't thank you enough!! x

No worries Hun :) you can always message me on here or fb! I saw your post in the academy earlier so I'll add you now I know your actual name [emoji23][emoji23]

The 2 I've marked in my opinion are the best ones, definitely good enough for a paying client :) xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455290542.596762.jpg

Latest posts

Back