First time wax!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fieryredhead

Reaction score
Hi, im 22 and im having my legs waxed and my eyebrows waxed in a salon on thursday morning. I have attempted leg waxing myself and found it very unsucessful. However im a little nervous about having it done and how painful it could be. Also im going on holiday to spain on friday and have a feeling i should of booked my appointment sooner, however i cant change it now and seriously need them waxing lol! Will i be ok in the sun on friday? What can i do to make sure my legs and eyebrows will be ok? Plus shall i not put fake tan on, till how long after?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey!

Don't worry about having your legs waxed, after the first few strips being removed you get used to it! It's slightly painful, I won't lie, but no pain no gain! You really should wait 48 hours before exposing the waxed area to the sun, as the area will be sensitive and the follicles are open, therefore being prone to infection if the appropriate aftercare advice isn't taken into consideration. Just keep your legs covered up with light, thin fabric if you can (linen trousers). After 48 hours you should be fine. Your therapist should go through all the aftercare advice with you, but here's a list of what you should and shouldn't do so you know:

For 24 hours after your waxing treatment DON'T:
Sunbathe or use sun beds, apply perfumed products, have a heat treatment (sauna), exfoliate, apply fake tan, wear tight fitted clothing over the area, swim, have a hot bath or shower, apply make-up (facial areas.)

Just follow that and you should be ok. I would leave it 48 hours before you expose your legs to the sun or apply fake tan, just to be on the safe side.

After 48 hours you can exfoliate and make sure you moisturise as well to avoid ingrown hairs. Hope that's helped, have a lovely holiday! X

Hi hun

If you are having your legs waxed on Thursday, ideally you shouldn't do any sunbathing for at least 24 - 48 hours after. Same applies for fake tanning too because of the open pores and sensitivity of the skin.

As for pain? That's down to the individual I'm afraid! You could put a topical anaesthetic cream on the areas to be waxed but sometimes you have to order it in from the chemist or if you can take painkillers, nurofen or something similar an hour before usually helps. It will be a lot better than attempting it yourself though!

Hope this helps and have a great time in Spain!

x

Forgot to add, it just feels a little like a plaster being pulled off very quickly, so don't worry.

Hi there, don't worry about the pain since you have waxed your legs in the past, you have passed that hurdle and I am sure your therapist will put you at ease if you explain that you think it might hurt. The therapist should also give you some aftercare advice such as

1. avoid exposing the skin to sunlight or sunbeds for 48 hours
  2. no sauna or heat treatment for 24 hours
  3. avoid products with perfume for 24 hours
  4. apply moisturisers or lotions advised by you therapist.
Hope this is helpful :)

Also, don't be tempted to put fake tan on before your waxing as the tan will be stripped away leaving you with white areas! x

For 24 hours after your waxing treatment DON'T:apply fake tan
Just follow that and you should be ok. I would leave it 48 hours before you expose your legs to the sun or apply fake tan, just to be on the safe side.

Sorry, but slightly contradictory there Becky, as you have said you shouldn't apply any fake tan for 24-48 hours but have then gone on to say you can???

You should definitely not be applying any fake tan for 24-48 hours following your waxing.
The other advice is spot on.

You should also avoid applying any perfumed products to the area but apply an after wax cream for a couple of days following waxing and then exfoliate lightly 3-4 days following to reduce the possibility of ingrown hairs.

Hi, im 22 and im having my legs waxed and my eyebrows waxed in a salon on thursday morning. I have attempted leg waxing myself and found it very unsucessful.top tip - never try and do it yourself !

However im a little nervous about having it done and how painful it could be.Truly it really isnt as bad as you anticipate:green: just relax, dont tense up, i did a brazilian the other day the girl was literally SHAKING with the anticipation.....i reassured her and told her to relax...GAWD knows where she'd being going or what they'd been using before on her to make her so nervous (duck tape i recon!)

Also im going on holiday to spain on friday and have a feeling i should of booked my appointment sooner, however i cant change it now and seriously need them waxing lol! Will i be ok in the sun on friday?The usual rule is no heat treatments for 24 hours so strictly speaking you should be fine.

What can i do to make sure my legs and eyebrows will be ok? have faith in your technician !

Plus shall i not put fake tan on, no no no it will rip it off, and dont apply it after either it may / will irriate the skin - personally if your going on holiday...in pools ie chlorine etc etc and your going somewhere sunny...i wouldnt bother with the fake tan !! if you MUST i'd leave it 24/48hrstill how long after?
Thanks!

hey ! good luck:hug:

Sorry, I did mean to say you shouldn't apply fake tan 24-48 hours after the waxing treatment

thanks guys that helped alot. my appointment isnt till 11 and il b in spain over 24hours later so il keep em moisturised n covered for a little while :) Im not as worried about the pain now, prob will take a painkiller before hand. Im excited now! One more question im only having half a leg does that included waxing your knee?x

thanks guys that helped alot. my appointment isnt till 11 and il b in spain over 24hours later so il keep em moisturised n covered for a little while :) Im not as worried about the pain now, prob will take a painkiller before hand. Im excited now! One more question im only having half a leg does that included waxing your knee?x

A half leg should include the knee but i'd ask just incase you get an oddball salon but in general yes it should go about an inch or two above the knee x

i remember she sed to the knee, but i didnt understand if this included it or not lol.. sorry for being ditzy!X
Oh iv just remembered another question! My leg hair is about three weeks long (yuck lol) thats not too long is it, i got told by some one that how long it should be? (God il b glad to get rid of it!) and also it says on their leaflet they use Susan Molyneaux products, are they any good?x

Last edited:
i remember she sed to the knee, but i didnt understand if this included it or not lol.. sorry for being ditzy!X
Oh iv just remembered another question! My leg hair is about three weeks long (yuck lol) thats not too long is it, i got told by some one that how long it should be? (God il b glad to get rid of it!) and also it says on their leaflet they use Susan Molyneaux products, are they any good?x

3Weeks growth should be just fine.

Never used Susan Milyneaux - but they are well known brand.:hug:

Hiya, whenever I wax a 1/2 leg, I always go just above the knee. It's not right if you sit down in a small skirt and have hairs poking out!

Like Minkus said, I don't use SM but it is a well know brand. I use Hive at the moment.

Relax and enjoy your treatment and your holiday!

anyone else use Susan Molyneaux for waxing. What does it involve exactly is it roll on or strips? :) cant wait haha!x

anyone else use Susan Molyneaux for waxing. What does it involve exactly is it roll on or strips? :) cant wait haha!x

WELL ! THURSDAY MORNING IS HERE:green:

Cant WAIT for the feedback!

Amb x

Latest posts

Back