First wedding make up trial

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekychick

Reaction score
Hi,
It's going to be my first make up trial on Saturday and I am so worried I'm going to do something wrong.

I felt I needed to throw myself on at the deep end so to speak and now I'm regretting it a little as I'm so nervous.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make it run smoothly, to make sure I get all the info I need, or any questions to ask?

Sam
X

I did my first one recently and I was pretty nervous but I just asked all the relevant questions, mainly colours, what they want, what they normally wear etc and I just came up with a look and let them change it throughout to make sure they were completely happy with it all!

First of all, don't panic, you'll be great! And if not just pretend you are - fake it til you make it! :)

Make sure to ask lots of questions, go slow, keep checking your client is happy.

I always start by asking them if they have a look in mind. What kind of make up they normally wear if they wear any. How are they having their hair? colours etc. Sometimes they'll bring you pictures from magazines etc.

Make notes! Print off a blank face chart and scribble all over that sucka (something like this http://makeupanarchist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/closedEyeFaceChart.jpg)

Most brides want natural ish make up, unless they are someone who wears a lot of makeup normally. They want to look good in their photos.

Start with the skin and get the base right. It sometimes takes a while to pick the right foundation. Find out if they're having a spray tan too as that will affect the base!

I always do one eye fully and let them have a look. Then if it's not quite right, or they want to see it 'with that brown instead' then do the other eye and they can compare.

I always tell them to make sure they tell me if there's anything they're not happy with. The trial is the time to iron it out and you're more likely to get booked if you they know it's ok to make changes.

Also don't be disheartened if they don't love something 100% and you have to change things - most ladies probably do their makeup a certain way every day and might see it slightly different in their head.

Oh and if you can - take a portable makeup chair if you have one, save your back from bending over!

Make sure you have loads of disposable spoolies, cotton pads, makeup remover, tissues, baby wipes... etc. You'll need them.

There's probably loads of stuff - sorry this was a bit of a brain dump! But hopefully there's something useful in there.

Thank you that's amazing!
I've just bought a chair so will defiantly take that.
I'm going to go through my kit & make sure I have everything i need.

It's matching the foundation that makes me stress. I'm okay with everything else [emoji51]
Xx

Just take your time and make sure you have good light. All will be fine x

Just take your time and make sure you have good light. All will be fine x

It went perfectly! Thank you. Don't know what I was so nervous about now [emoji4]x

Yay congrats x

Well done !! Wedding make up is great fun once you get over your nerves. I always make sure to write everything down so there is no confusion on " the big day ". And take extra make up on the wedding day cos usually someone else says " can you just ................" and you end up doing other people too. Enjoy !! xx

Hi I've got my first trial on Saturday so I'm a little nervous too. What's the best foundation to use ? My bride wants a very natural look she's doesn't usually wear much makeup. Thanks

Good luck! We use bare minerals at my work, which gives a natural look and isn't heavy at all! But that's just what we use so I don't know about any others!

Best wedding make up is Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk. It's natural, radiant and has no spf so the bride will not get flash back from camera on evening photos. This is what all professional make up artists use on the cat walk.
Also Giorgio Armani doesn't use fillers or powders in his foundations so you won't get that dry cakey look.

These are all great tips but what i also do is take a photo of the finished makeup. I also ask her what lighting she will be in as the lighting will dramatically change the look of the makeup. I also bring a white sheet and an ivory coloured sheet as sometimes they base the look of their makeup with what they are wearing on the day of the trial. Once ive completed the makeup, i wrap either the white or ivory sheet around them depending on the colour if their wedding dress so then they can see a rough idea of how the makeup will look against their wedding dress.

Hi I've got my first trial on Saturday so I'm a little nervous too. What's the best foundation to use ? My bride wants a very natural look she's doesn't usually wear much makeup. Thanks
Hard to say because it depends on her skin type etc. We can all recommend foundations we love but they might be no good on your client, you might have to try a few.

I use Illamasqua Skin Base or Airbase airbrush foundation on most of my clients but the next bride I'm doing makeup for, neither of these looked good on her skin, so I'm using the foundation from my Ben Nye palette. It sometimes takes a bit of experimenting.

Latest posts

Back