Fish pedicure article

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naildoctor

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this? It's in the latest Nails magazine.

INTA Opposes "Fish Pedicure"
Wednesday, July 30 2008
The recent flurry of media coverage of a “fish pedicure” being performed by a salon in Virginia reports on a service that as described is contrary to all standards and beliefs of the International Nail Technicians Association (INTA) and its Pedicure Equipment Cleaning & Disinfecting Procedures.
The service requires clients to place their feet into a tub containing approximately 100 small carp that then ingest the calloused areas of clients’ feet. INTA opposes any such technique that could cause potential harm to the consumer as well as the long-term viability of the professional nail industry.
Dr. Robert Spaulding, the author of Death By Pedicure and The Science of Pedicures responded to INTA’s inquiry as follows: “This type of service should not be allowed or approved by state cosmetology boards in any type of salon. Basically, it departs from any known convention of appropriate approved disinfection standards.”
Improper cleaning of pedicure equipment may lead to health safety concerns for salon clients, intense regulatory investigation, and a severe threat to a salon business. As described, this service does not adhere to any scientific or regulatory data regarding safety and sanitation in the salon, INTA says.
INTA strongly recommends that any nail professionals questioned by clients about this technique should caution consumers to inquire about proper cleaning and disinfecting of the fish tank for their own safety. Disinfection of pedicure equipment is required between each pedicure client, among other procedures developed and adopted by INTA and the Nail Manufacturers Council.

OMG that is very strange and sooooooo wrong to be done in a salon!! what next .... monkeys grooming your eyebrows instead of shaping lol :green::irked:

Why is it wrong in a salon? The fish are a species of Garra I believe, Garra Ruffa and its been a traditional therapy in some parts of the world for centuries. If the fish can be kept well and treated well between treatments including making sure the client hasn't got anything on the feet that could kill the fish I think its a wonderful thing.

I'd pay for this treatment in a heartbeat. I love the way my fish in my tanks nibble at my hands at water change time so I can imagine this treatment is very therapeutic :hug:

ha, and you guys worry about sanitisation procedures ....... go figure

before you "dream" about offering this .... can you import the fish into your country?

I've owned Garra in the past although not Garra Rufa.

I would think if it was even allowed in the UK you would need to be rigorous with water changes and the health of the fish to keep things safe. Also I would imagine you would need to ensure they have no actual open injuries to their feet.

Personally I perhaps wouldn't offer it but primarily because I imagine the turnover of fish would be high as you never know what lotions etc are on peoples feet and I hate to see fish suffer. I seem to remember reading this was used in China (crud memory so location might well be wrong) as a remedy for skin complaints as the fish nibble away dead skin but the one thing that stuck in my mind at the time was that where that was you were unlikely to have people using anything perfumed on their skin and hygeine and sanitation in the days this was started were unlikely to be what they are today.

I will look out the link, it was in a fish keeping magazine I think.

EDIT: Found the link

PFK Article

Last edited:
OMG that is very strange and sooooooo wrong to be done in a salon!! what next .... monkeys grooming your eyebrows instead of shaping lol :green::irked:
You are hilarious!!!

I think it would be a pretty nice treatment.

I read somewhere that the clients feet are cleaned in a foot spa before the treatment so shouldn't be any lotions etc I'd be more worried about clients stomping on the fishies personally.

Obviously there are hygiene issues but i think they could probably be fixed quite easily. This treatment could become huuuge!

i tried to get some of these a couple of years ago i fancied the idea of lots of little fishies nibbling the dead skin cells but couldnt import them let alone use them on customers still think its a great idea and would be very relaxing. they dont eat live skin only dead unlike pihranas lol

well said, i have these in my beauty academy in liverpool they are fantastic and are treating people with foot problems and actually helping them. i love my fish and if anyone is in liverpool come and have a go you will love it too xx:lol:

Does anyone else think this or am I the only one who thinks that sitting with your feet in a tank of other peoples skin is disgusting??? (meaning the poo from the fish, or do they not poo and are toilet trained lol)
So to all that think it is hygienic, can I ask.... where does the fish poo go????
This is a genuine question to which I am very curious, also who cleans the clients feet?? How is the water cleaned after every client??

:hug:

The water is very heavily filtered so waste is gone almost immediately where I tried this pedicure.

Had it done in Thailand earlier in the year. It's interesting to say the least and my local salon up here in Scotland is the first salon to have it in Scotland. Interesting venture but don't think it will take off in beauty salon personally.

It was spa in Thailand, not salon.

On an episode this week of tv show The Only Way is Essex two girls were filmed sitting in a bath wearing bikinis surrounded by nibbling fish:eek:

i think it would be very hard to keep up and do on a regular basis. pedi basins are disgusting enough without adding fish poo. would this not be kin to animal abuse? maybe an all you can eat buffet lol

On an episode this week of tv show The Only Way is Essex two girls were filmed sitting in a bath wearing bikinis surrounded by nibbling fish:eek:

I saw this, why would you sit in a bath of small fish,,,,, gross, I hate fish so there's no way I'll be going for this.

Latest posts

Back