Fish pedicure in Salon..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam**

Reaction score
Were soon to get the fish pedicure in the salon... Has anyone got it in there's? If so how's it getting on? We feel it will be good whilst clients colours are on and there waiting for 30mins.

i went into a local salon today to have and loved it :) you spend half the time looking at the fish so it was very relaxing !
Good luck with it x

Are there not health and safety issues with this fish spa thing still?

Are there not health and safety issues with this fish spa thing still?

Until further scientific research has been done into possible health risks, I strongly recommend that you sanitize your client's feet before AND after treatment.

Were soon to get the fish pedicure in the salon... Has anyone got it in there's? If so how's it getting on? We feel it will be good whilst clients colours are on and there waiting for 30mins.

We have it in our salon.. It's quite seasonal but still very popular. Speak to your environmental officers before you get it in+ they'll keep you right.. Goodluck

Hi People we have a system in our salon and its very nice, but first thing i am a fish keeper have been keeping fish for pleasure for over thirty years,
1. you will need someone who knows about fish keeping to support you.
2. BUYER BEWARE, our system although we were told was fitted with a steriliser, IT WAS NOT, and that is probably the single most important piece of equipment in our line of business, it was fitted with a clarifier, which was not adequate. and the supplier is now hiding their heads in the sand......!
3. I have first hand experience of 2 systems and both were not what they said, on the box so to speak.
4. When you first get your system in they will tell you that you can stock imeadiatley 100 fish and start treating customers imeadiatley, this is not possible it is cruel to the fish, the system needs to be matured slowly, IE add 20 fish, wait 2-3 days then dependant on water tests, continue in the same way.
5. Do your research speak to your local aquatics shop, they may be prepared to get the fish in for you and then supply you them slowly and support you with any issues.

I will help any of you in any way i can just PM or email me, and good luck

Hi People we have a system in our salon and its very nice, but first thing i am a fish keeper have been keeping fish for pleasure for over thirty years,
1. you will need someone who knows about fish keeping to support you.
2. BUYER BEWARE, our system although we were told was fitted with a steriliser, IT WAS NOT, and that is probably the single most important piece of equipment in our line of business, it was fitted with a clarifier, which was not adequate. and the supplier is now hiding their heads in the sand......!
3. I have first hand experience of 2 systems and both were not what they said, on the box so to speak.
4. When you first get your system in they will tell you that you can stock imeadiatley 100 fish and start treating customers imeadiatley, this is not possible it is cruel to the fish, the system needs to be matured slowly, IE add 20 fish, wait 2-3 days then dependant on water tests, continue in the same way.
5. Do your research speak to your local aquatics shop, they may be prepared to get the fish in for you and then supply you them slowly and support you with any issues.

I will help any of you in any way i can just PM or email me, and good luck

Well said tonyv, I totally agree with you.. We've had a lot of problems along the way+ have been very reliant on help from experts

If only I'd known 18 years ago....when I was in high school we went on a field trip to a local forestry. A friend and I were sitting on the side of the creek with our feet in the water and the little fish were nibbling on our feet - we were laughing because it was tickling and we almost got left behind cause we were sitting there for ages. If only I'd know then how it would become a beauty treatment, I could have made a mint :lol:

How popular is this now? I've heard of it being done but I don't know anyone locally who does it. I'm still in two minds about it. I have fish and feel a bit bad that people are using the same creatures to have their dry skin nibbled off. It seems a bit cruel to me....but that's my own opinion! I'm sure there are more people who would pay for this than those who wouldn't!

Hi

a lot of people are saying this is a cruel way to treat these fish, mostly founded on lack of knowledge, and some founded on horror stories heard about the behaviour of the shops, just for this purpose, with untrained staff with no knowledge of care of their customers or the Fish

1. look at the far east where these fish come from, this has been done there for 100's of years.
2. Look at the type of Fish, they are Carp family and a Loach type fish so sucking algae of any surface that they can get to is what they do naturally
3. when putting any fish in a tank you have to consider how many fish in the space provided and water litres, and most importantly can the filter system cope with the waste load produced by the fish, if you have enough space, enough water, and a suitable mature filter system, you feed and care for them properly, then they will be happy

Now my system has 80 fish, in 133litres of water, each fish needs 0.4litres of water, i have a very efficient although not yet fully matured, filter system (It takes about 3 months to mature a filter) to combat the imature filter and keep the fish happy and healthy you need to do regular water changes.

As an experienced Hobbyist fish keeper, and having these fish for about 6 weeks now in salon, no its not cruel they do the treatment :lick: naturally, they appear to love :hug: people putting their feet or hands in, if you go anywhere near our tank they are straight towards you, when doing my routine maintenance they are all over my hands these fish are absolutely fearless, if i put a net in the tank they just swim straight into it, go figure:confused: every other fish i own or have owned have always been a devil to net.....:eek:

I definatley do not think it is cruel as long as the people who own the fish to use for this service, are considerate and care for the fish correctly, and remember that they are not just a money making tool, they are a living creature....

We have it in our salon.. It's quite seasonal but still very popular. Speak to your environmental officers before you get it in+ they'll keep you right.. Goodluck

Hi Good advice re Environmental Health, but i have found some of them have no clue about this issue,

I see your not far from us, were did you get your system from if you dont mind me asking, i would like to get info on as many different systems as possible.

If only I'd known 18 years ago....when I was in high school we went on a field trip to a local forestry. A friend and I were sitting on the side of the creek with our feet in the water and the little fish were nibbling on our feet - we were laughing because it was tickling and we almost got left behind cause we were sitting there for ages. If only I'd know then how it would become a beauty treatment, I could have made a mint :lol:

How funny is that!! x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Hi Good advice re Environmental Health, but i have found some of them have no clue about this issue,

I see your not far from us, were did you get your system from if you dont mind me asking, i would like to get info on as many different systems as possible.

We are in wingate.. Where are you? We got our system from someone called Dawn... We've had loads of problems though so I wouldn't use her if I were you.. Pm me if you need more details x

Latest posts

Back