Fish pedicures!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachelwhitmars

Reaction score
I didnt know what forum to put this on! I just wondered what other proffesionals thought of this! My main concern is hygene! How is the water changed? The tanks cant be sterilized?! X

My personal feeling is I wouldn't not want this. I wouldn't offer it as a service nor would I ever have one. I don't want anything nibbling at my feet. :eek:

My personal feeling is I wouldn't not want this. I wouldn't offer it as a service nor would I ever have one. I don't want anything nibbling at my feet. :eek:

I agree completely.
Not one thing about the procedure appeals to me in the slightest.
It's like putting leeches on someone to 'bleed' them!! Or maggots to clean out a wound. May be effective but ugh!!
Give me a bit of home maintenance with my 'Ped Egg' once a fortnight and my feet are like a baby's!
I wouldn't waste a nickel of salon investment money on fish tank procedures!

I agree completely.
Not one thing about the procedure appeals to me in the slightest.
It's like putting leeches on someone to 'bleed' them!! Or maggots to clean out a wound. May be effective but ugh!!
Give me a bit of home maintenance with my 'Ped Egg' once a fortnight and my feet are like a baby's!
I wouldn't waste a nickel of salon investment money on fish tank procedures!

Haha! Loving the Ped Egg comment!! The Fish Tank thing makes me feel ill!! X

Haha! Loving the Ped Egg comment!! The Fish Tank thing makes me feel ill!! X
Apart from the novelty, if one is that way inclined, :eek: why would anyone do this repeatedly? I can't see how anyone with a business head would buy into it? Unless they just had money to waste.

I have spoken to several people who had this treatment while in Thailand or on holiday, and not one of them said it was anything like it's cracked up to be and nothing like as effective as a good spa pedicure.

Maybe if I lived in the Amazon jungle or something I might dunk my feet in the water to get my pedicure, but whilst I live in a more civilised environment I'll take a trained therapist any day over a fish tank. :green:

I was extremely curious about this and thought I'd try it for myself last Friday.

We had to fill out disclaimers which also asked if we had athletes foot, verucca's or AIDS. There was no mention of fungal nail infections, and both myself and my friend were wearing nail polish. What if somebody came in that had a fungal infection but didn't actually know what it was?! It gets worse...

My friend had a big lump of dry skin on her toe and as soon as she put her feet in, the fish went for that spot. After about 2 minutes she whispered to me that her toe was bleeding!! I told her she should get out, but she was interested in seeing if any of the attendants came around to check on things like this - they didn't. GROSS!! She doesn't have any diseases or conditions etc, but it's not really the point.

The water seemed to have a filter, but surely this would just be the same water recycled over?

Don't think I'll be rushing back :-/ xx

I was extremely curious about this and thought I'd try it for myself last Friday.

We had to fill out disclaimers which also asked if we had athletes foot, verucca's or AIDS. There was no mention of fungal nail infections, and both myself and my friend were wearing nail polish. What if somebody came in that had a fungal infection but didn't actually know what it was?! It gets worse...

My friend had a big lump of dry skin on her toe and as soon as she put her feet in, the fish went for that spot. After about 2 minutes she whispered to me that her toe was bleeding!! I told her she should get out, but she was interested in seeing if any of the attendants came around to check on things like this - they didn't. GROSS!! She doesn't have any diseases or conditions etc, but it's not really the point.

The water seemed to have a filter, but surely this would just be the same water recycled over?

Don't think I'll be rushing back :-/ xx

Ewwwww!! Lol I did wonder when this 'treatment' first became popular how come there are no complaints about the fish being used, cruelty etc... Call me soft but I feel really sorry for them! Lol
There surely must be some health and safety aspect to cross contamination etc.. Bleeding? Eeeek!!!! Xx

Lol. Thats my opinion to! All a bit gross i agree with the pedi egg i love those and i dont think you can get better than a good scrub and file done by a therapist, much more relaxing to i think!

My husband decided to treat me to one of these :eek: so of we went. As soon as you put your feet in the water the fish just swarm on them. I had Minx on and hoped the little ****** didn't touch it, they didn't but oh my does it tickle. The fish had very little effect on my feet and the only pleasent thing was having my feet in the warm water but I think this would have been nicer without the little fishes. Been there tried it etc but wouldn't rush back.:|

Doing my job - I thought about it, ordered it and a few weeks before they were due to arrive, I woke up in the middle of the night in a panic with all the issues that I have read here and elsewhere.

Needless to say - I cancelled - got an ear bashing - but I dont regret it one single bit.

If you dont know what a fungus nail looks like, or you have athletes foot that is well hidden under your toes - your not to know are you? by putting the osis on the customer it feels like they shift the blame and these are beauty professionals offering this service.

Like geeg stated can think of better things to spend money on - I know I havent yet - but am comtemplating:confused:

It is a fad - and im just interested to know if there will be any legislation brought out about it.

I watched a fish pedi place in Camden market a few weeks ago. It was very busy & the young girl that was running it wasn't dressed in a uniform but jeans & jumper with a money belt. She handed clients a flannel & told them to wipe their feet but didn't check them herself. They put their feet straight in to the tank & the timer was put on. I watched and watched intrigued & dismayed that this girl was running around handling money, handling flannels etc. She came up to me & asked me if I would like a pedi. So I asked about contraindications etc. She said she checked everyone - *bull***t* she was far too busy collecting money! I asked her where her uniform was - no uniform etc. So I asked her if she was a qualified therapist, no she wasn't!
So there you go! I was disgusted & the ladies around me that were going to have a go, walked away, thanking me.

Unfortuntely because of untrained therapists offering this treatment and not following the proper procedures it has given fish pedicures a bad name. The filteration system has built in uv sterilisers so the water passes through killing 99.9% bacteria plus the whole tank is being filtered 8 - 10 times an hour. clients feet should be checked prior to treatment the same as you would before doing a pedicure.
As for the welfare of the fish they still need feeding fish food as it is not proven that they actually eat the dead skin just suck it off. And ideally shouldnt be overstocked which a lot of places that offer this do. It is not cruel to the fish as it natural for them to do this and if they dont want to they wont trust me! I wouldnt let bad things you hear put you off having the treatment done its a little bit like nss and acrylic nails etc.
Sorry for long post just wanted to give a bit of info as i researched them for months x
Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Michelle, I totally agree with what you have said but a company had opened up a network around the country! Although according to my mother the one near her has recently closed down.
I realize not every fish spa is going to be same, as those who own a salon & have invested time & money would not want their reputation damaged. But the mass marketing of this 'branded version' has given me food for thought!
Fiona :)

Iv got 4 tanks,initial outlay paid for itself in only 3 months, My tank water when tested ( tested daily ) is cleaner than the tap water, we stay with the clients the whole treatment and your not allowed in with so much as a blister, we insist you book and we only have 4 clients per day on each tank, spread out throughout the day so our fish don't get stressed, I love my fish and anyone giving them stress by splashing about is told off and barred from another treatment . It's lovely and relaxing if your not a fish phobic but it wont remove callous skin it only refreshes and exfoliates which we tell every customer, we don't believe it cures eczema or other skin conditions and we actually won't let u in if u have any, it doesn't stimulate acupuncture points as some claim , well I don't believe it does, I'm honest with all my clients, they love the fish for the simple fun treatment that it is.

In a salon where I worked, they had 4 tanks and a huge number of clients everyday just for the fish pedicure. They would just walk in, we didn't have to ask/ check for any contra-indications, they didn't have to fill anything in.
So anyone with a disease could have just put their feet in and we wouldn't know. I personally, would never have this done.

There's a spa in the centre of Manchester I walked past the other week. A lady was sat near the window having a fish pedicure and I saw her stick her hands in the tank next to her, the staff was around and did nothing! I Thought it was disgusting, which is why I would never buy one or have the treatment!

Wax Inc. You purchased your tanks knowing the time and effort to keep everything scrupulously clean and not to stress the fish. But I would expect you will have repeat business too. The fish spas' I am concerned with are the group of franchised spas through the country.
RubyTues I think I know the one you are talking of as my sister went there but decided not to have a treatment.
It's the turn up, take your shoes off and splash merchants that I think will effect the salon owners who care for their fish & clients wellbeing.

Agreed, untrained therapists are giving fish pedi's a bad name, though I gues you can find that in any field...
Our fish are well looked after and cared for and the water passes through a uv sterilisation ( I won't bother repeating the process above)
Being completely honest it is somewhat of a novelty, though my clients do like it! Their feet are softer and it is a relaxing experience (if you like fish!) I'm not going to start saying it is equivalent to having a pedicure because it isn't. We check scrupulously for contraindications and will not allow anyone in that does so. Not only because we don't want to spread disease and bacteria but also the fish and setup and expensive and we don't want to damage them!
I love my little fishies and look after them very well! Maybe this is a passing fad (i expect so) but I don't think it should be given a bad name just because some therapists don't adhere to the rules. Without being crass I have made a lot of money from the treatment so it had been well worth it for me.
Xx

The fish are munching on your skin and poo-ing it out in the very water in which you are soaking. I just invision soaking my feet in water littered with fish feces and other people's foot debris. I just don't know how this passes sanitation standards.

These spas cannot transfer diseases to humans,you are at no more risk than a visit to the swimming baths. We use state of the art filtration system in each of the units so the water is constantly circulated through the filters at over 1000 litres per hour and filltered down to 5 micron reducing bacteria by 99.99%. It is sterilized thoroughly, 22 times per hour using uv sterilization to ensure the health and safety of our clients,staff and of course our fish! A 25% water change is also done every other day.

It is essential that clients fill in a disclaimer form and by no means can they use it if they have any open wounds, verrucas etc. If they have a tiny cut - which is scabbed over, not fresh (perhaps where their shoe has rubbed) we give them a waterproof plaster. Sarah22... the reason your friend was bleeding was because the fish automatically go for the dead skin. This is why if its a small enough cut a waterproof plaster can be used to cover it up.

Although the fish pedicures are good for eczema and psoriasis, it is important that there are no open wounds where the client has been scratching.

Because the water is constantly filtered, by the time the next client has come in, signed the disclaimer and cleansed their feet with hot cloths, the water is clean ready for them to use.

I understand where they bad news spreads from, because before my mum opened her fish spa we trialed many salons, and we too experienced bad service.
Please dont let this put you off because there are good salons out there!

:)

Latest posts

Back