Fixing another tech's work for free?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddybear305

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Me and my husband opened our first nail salon about a year ago, and lately we have been encountered by this problem that we hope everyone can help us with.
We are a commission based salon of about 10 people. We have a policy which states that clients can get their nails fixed for free within a week with the same tech that did their nails last time. This is because we think it would be unfair for techs to fix someone else's work for free. If clients specifically insist that they don't want the same tech to fix because of legitimate reasons, we will gladly have somebody else fix it and cover for that tech's money.
The problem is some clients understand that policy but some clients don't. We always try to explain to them, and we even have the policy printed on the receipt. However, some clients just get really upset when we tell them that to get it fixed for free they will have to get it fixed by the same tech as last time because the said tech might be off on that day or busy at the moment, and they would have to wait or come back another day or pay to get it fixed with a different tech.
My question is: Are we doing the right thing? If so, how can we minimize the amount of upset clients with that issue? If not, what are some ways that we can do to improve our policy?
Thank you everyone.

Why would you insist the same tech does it? Are they all employees? At my salon we fix each other’s if they come in, if it’s a complaint and it’s being fixed then the client becomes the new techs client instead

Why are you having to do so many repairs? I don't offer free fixes at all. How do I know what the client has done with her nails after she left the salon? My clients usually go 3 weeks without any problems. If anyone chips their nails, I ask them to come in so that I can see what the problem is. If think it might have been caused by me, or if I am feeling generous, I will offer them the repair free.
What products do you use? Are all your techs trained to the same standard?

Why would you insist the same tech does it? Are they all employees? At my salon we fix each other’s if they come in, if it’s a complaint and it’s being fixed then the client becomes the new techs client instead
I wish everyone can look at it the way you guys look at it. We did it like that when we first opened, but then people complained that it's not their fault why do they have to fix it. They don't see that it's an opportunity to make that customer their clientele. We do have some nice people that are willing to fix other people's work but the majority of techs that we've seen so far wouldn't do it for the world. That's why we have that policy.

Why are you having to do so many repairs? I don't offer free fixes at all. How do I know what the client has done with her nails after she left the salon? My clients usually go 3 weeks without any problems. If anyone chips their nails, I ask them to come in so that I can see what the problem is. If think it might have been caused by me, or if I am feeling generous, I will offer them the repair free.
What products do you use? Are all your techs trained to the same standard?
You're right. We should look into better training for our techs. We've been pulling them to the side and talk to them to see what's the problem is that causing their work to break or lift, and we would give them tips to help them. Sometimes it's hard to train techs because some people are so entitled to themselves and can't take criticism. The demand in nail techs is super high where I live, so if they don't like it here they will leave. Part of why we've been shy in training is because of that too.

I wish everyone can look at it the way you guys look at it. We did it like that when we first opened, but then people complained that it's not their fault why do they have to fix it. They don't see that it's an opportunity to make that customer their clientele. We do have some nice people that are willing to fix other people's work but the majority of techs that we've seen so far wouldn't do it for the world. That's why we have that policy.

If they are employees I wouldn’t give them a choice, have a team meeting and lay it down! A client is going to want to have it fixed ASAP not have to wait for that particular tech to come in.

'Customer is king' and their needs should override the whims of certain members of your team or your business will eventually be undermined.

*Princess* techs need to figure out that newly trained and eager techs are currently qualifying at a rate of knots and would happily fill their seats. They would not complain at the chance to get new clients and help each other out.

You're right. We should look into better training for our techs. We've been pulling them to the side and talk to them to see what's the problem is that causing their work to break or lift, and we would give them tips to help them. Sometimes it's hard to train techs because some people are so entitled to themselves and can't take criticism. The demand in nail techs is super high where I live, so if they don't like it here they will leave. Part of why we've been shy in training is because of that too.
With that amount of techs it would be easier for you to get a trainer in for a day or afternoon to have a "team training/fun day" or whatever you want to call it. Then it's not you directly that is handling out criticism. Are your techs self employed? Is your goal to be the exclusive nail salon? High costs and standards or cheap and quick?

If they are employees I wouldn’t give them a choice, have a team meeting and lay it down! A client is going to want to have it fixed ASAP not have to wait for that particular tech to come in.

The OP said in the original post that they’re commission based so no, they’re not employees.

I think that’s the crux of the problem, to be honest.
If you want to ensure high standards from every staff member and virtually nil repairs, you need to employ them on a decent salary with good perks and top notch training.

I
Hi everyone,
Me and my husband opened our first nail salon about a year ago, and lately we have been encountered by this problem that we hope everyone can help us with.
We are a commission based salon of about 10 people. We have a policy which states that clients can get their nails fixed for free within a week with the same tech that did their nails last time. This is because we think it would be unfair for techs to fix someone else's work for free. If clients specifically insist that they don't want the same tech to fix because of legitimate reasons, we will gladly have somebody else fix it and cover for that tech's money.
The problem is some clients understand that policy but some clients don't. We always try to explain to them, and we even have the policy printed on the receipt. However, some clients just get really upset when we tell them that to get it fixed for free they will have to get it fixed by the same tech as last time because the said tech might be off on that day or busy at the moment, and they would have to wait or come back another day or pay to get it fixed with a different tech.
My question is: Are we doing the right thing? If so, how can we minimize the amount of upset clients with that issue? If not, what are some ways that we can do to improve our policy?
Thank you everyone.

I’ve only done two repairs in 7 years, one because she bit one off and one had picked them off and said they fell off.

I don’t mind redoing a finger or two within 1/2 days, but coming back after a week is cheeky.

They don’t just come off, but if they are you need to check what your employees are doing, are they missing any steps..is a product not up to scratch.

I’d think about not having any policy about this on display, because those that bite or pick might be taking advantage off you.

A nail bar near me has their repair rate on their window menu of £3 per nail and I’m sure that’s whether it’s their fault or not.

Latest posts

Back