Flaky nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
hi geeks
if a client came for a file and polish with really flaky nails, would you still polish tem knowing they would just flake off? is there something out there for flaky nails such as pictured?

Attachments

• mam a.jpg
    mam a.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 508
  • mam c.jpg
    mam c.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 2,144
what i should have added is that i put on a full set of acrylic enhancements, pictured below, then removed them for her 4 weeks later also pictured. her nails were lovely after removal but started splitting and flaking at free edge again

Attachments

• mam b.jpg
    mam b.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMAG1440.jpg
    IMAG1440.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 733
My nails do this all the time :| that is when I'm not being good and using my Solar Oil daily :o

I guess you can educate her about looking after her nails and regularly apply oil, good retail opportunity for you.

As for a solution for polish, not sure I'd do it on a client but I remove the flaking with a file and then buff to a shine on my own nails - seems to work.

My nails do this all the time :| that is when I'm not being good and using my Solar Oil daily :o

I guess you can educate her about looking after her nails and regularly apply oil, good retail opportunity for you.

As for a solution for polish, not sure I'd do it on a client but I remove the flaking with a file and then buff to a shine on my own nails - seems to work.

they are actually my mothers nails. she is the type of person who likes to use her nails as shovels for transplanting in the garden. there was soil and allsorts wedged under the flakes. I gave her a bottle of solar oil and she has promised me she will use it. She also has vertical splits down her thumb nails. she said that once i removed the enhancements it was the best her nails had been for years. the reason i put them on in the first place was because her own nails split so much they were actually sore to the touch. But then after i removed the acrylics, they started flaking again and splitting, so I have put another set of acrylics on. I am hoping that once I get my gel polishes, she may be able to wear this. have you tried any of the gel polishes yet on your nails? did the flakes just make them chip?

I have a friend that had a tendency to have flaky nails just like your mum's. I buffed the flakiness away with a light buff nothing heavy, I then applied gelish gel polish and got her into the routine of maintinaing her nails with Solar Oil, so far so good.
After 3 weeks of having gelish on I removed it and then filed her nails back to short as they had grown a lot. She has had gelish applied on her nails every 2 weeks now, for the last 2 months i have monitired her progress and i can tell you not only did her nails grow well but stronger and healthier. She is using her solar oil every day and the fact that she doesn't wear her nails as long as she used to, maybe helps.

the gel polishes should be fine, just make sure you really do cap the free edge, and that she uses her solar oil regularly. Also, she might wanna start using gloves while she's gardening. If not the thick gardening gloves, then at least some disposable fitted vinyl gloves or something.

thanks for the replies. is there a special technique for capping the free edge of really short nails? (ie no or little free edge)

You can slip a form on so you can cap it without getting any on the surrounding skin :)

I would have tried OPI Nail Envy, it's amazing. You apply 2 coats on natural nail then one coat every other day for a week then take it off and start again. Your Mum would notice a difference after a couple of weeks if not before. You can also use it as base/top coat so nail polish can be applied. :))

My Mother's nails are very flaky too and to top it off she has psoriasis in them, which makes them even worse.

She is very heavy handed and just doesn't stop and of course I've been telling her to wear her Solar oil daily, but I might as well be talking to the wall.

The last time I did her nails for her, her nails were as flaky as ever and I insisted she use her Solar Oil at least twice a day and she promised she would... she was shocked at the difference it made and her nails aren't as flaky as they used to be. I don't have any after pics I'm afraid, but she wears Shellac and usually gets three weeks (if not more) chip free. (it's so hard to pin her down so I can re done them)

I do have to very lightly remove the flaking first, because if I didn't the Shellac would flake off with her nails.

Her natural nails have never looked as good since she started to wear Shellac and she can't live without it now.

Attachments

• nails 094.jpg
    nails 094.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 198
  • nails 095.jpg
    nails 095.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 194
  • nails 096.jpg
    nails 096.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 237
  • nails 098.jpg
    nails 098.jpg