Flaky nails??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SammiG

Reaction score
I have a new client that comes to me for manicures, she has nicely shaped, short nails but they flake at the top - you can see layers of the nail so this is why she has them short. Does anyone know why this is caused or how to treat it? She said they have only been like that since she came off HRT last year - could this be the reason? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sam XX

generally flaky nails are a sign of lack of moisture in the nail plate. Sometimes hormonal treatments can effect the hair, skin and nails (it is different with each person) but if it is dehydration of the nails, start her regularly using a good conditioning oil and don't use any abrasive on her less than 240 grit, the harsher the grit, the more it will tear the free-edge and the nails will continuwe to flake! ;)

Thank you very much for your help!
XX

Hiya

I would be inclined not to offer her a water manicure and suggest hot oil manicures instead. All you need to do is:

1. place some tap hot (not too hot) water in a bowl.
2. place enough oil in a smaller bowl to cover the nails.
3. place this bowl into the bowl with hot water.
4. after you have applied cuticle cream/oil to one hand, place in oil
5. work on the other hand
6. remove first hand from oil and place 2nd hand in
7. dab excess oil off and massage in remainder
8. continue your manicure

Try to keep the nails covered with a polish, whether it be a clear or a colour as this will help to protect them. Also your client will need to help herself by carrying out some homecare.

1. make sure she always uses gloves when washing or cleaning, and in this sort of weather warm gloves when she goes out as winter can play havoc!!
2. Get her to massage a good cuticle oil (Solar oil is brilliant) 2/3 times a day, especially if her hands are in and out of water.
3. patience is going to be a virtue here because it will take time. Try to encourage her to come weekly as first if possible, at the most 2 weekly.

Good luck, I hope you find something useful in here :sunny:

Adele

Thanks very much! I'll do that. Can you recommend an oil?
XX

Hiya

Ordinarily I would say you can't beat Solar Oil (Creative), but that would prove to be very expensive! I normally use Almond oil for the soaking, and always use Solar oil as my retail homecare product.

Remember to charge extra for a hot oil mani. I normally charge an extra £3.00.

Adele

Flaking peeling nails is caused by dryness, therefore a waterless manicure would be the safest option, with plenty of oil.
Suggest she wears gloves when in water and especially with detergents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back