Flaky scalp???????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj1973

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks...hope someone can help ....

Me and my daughter are suffering from very flacky scalp's....at first i thought it was dandruff because someties its itchy....but i remember when my son was a baby he suffered from craddle cap......this is what are scalps are like........

My daughters was terrible last night and she had just washed her hair...we both use the same straighner so i think this is why we both have it...but who had it first i dont know....our scalps are not red....just flacky and i am usin hair clips to cover ours in the day as its embarrassing.....

Does anyone know how we can get rid of this????? ....PLEASE.....i dont know what to use......what is it???...thought i would ask you lovely lot first :hug:xxxxxxxxxx

Not a hair prof, but it sounds to me like psoriasis. obviously I can't make a diagnosis but my husband has this and yours sounds similar. May be best to check with your gp.

Hi, i dont know if this is relevant to you personally but i was suffering from the same thing for quite a while and ive put it down to being allergic to my hair dye (i was using nice and easy).Over the last couple of months ive started having my hair dyed by a hairdresser and my flaky scalp has improved 98%.x

Hi
have you used any different products than usual, it may be an allergic reation. could you have both not rinsed shampoo out properly, it sounds strange that it's happened at the same time, like Hayley said it would be a good idea if you see the doctor. Dandruff is usually a greasy condition and is confused with just a dry scalp, it may be psoroasis which may be down to stress, it's not catching (i don't thinkso - been a long time since college days !)
hope I was helpful,

it could be one of a few things
a) product build up....you would need a claryfying/build up remover shampoo.
b) dandruff- dry scaling scalp - dry small irritating flakes of skin if moist and greasy it sticks too the skin , it can be caused by fungal(yeast) or chemical irritants.. treatment is anti dandruff treatments....like a scalp tonic.

i would try a clarfiying shampoo first then pop into a salon and get a stylist to have a look, she could recommend a good scalp treatment. pop into a hair salon anyway as they could recommend a really good product removing shampoo
hth

My daughter has the same problem as she suffers from eczema, and I didnt know what to do until my lovely friend (bonjovirock4eva) asked her lovely hairdresser hubby for me and he suggested using Aloe Vera gel which worked a treat.
Im not saying that this is the case with you and you should use this!!
But I would rather use this than some of the other things out there as this is a natural product and contains no chemicals that could harm your hair.
hth's :)

Hi, considering that you both have it
it sounds like you both may have used the same thing on your scalps which doesn't agree with either of you ,

This could be down to anything at all colour, hairspray, heat protector sprays, mousse, ect
even the shampoo and conditioner that you both may use.
Fruit acid shampoos and well known brands of dandruff shampoos on the telly are ones that can cause this type of thing and don't suit all people.

Another big issue is that the shampoo or conditioner you are using may be quite strong and needs a lot more rinsing than you think,

so when you have finished rinsing, rinse it again concentrating on the scalp with fresh clear water from the shower head
and time it for a good 3 mins.

I would try a different shampoo perhaps a clarifying one Toni and Guy do a good one,

I don't think it would be the straighteners unless you are both burning the scalp with them.

It could also be a yeast or fungal problem
and it may need treatment from your doctor,

but it does sounds more like a shampoo or rinsing problem
Hope this helps :hug:

Along with the above recommendations, a natural bristle brush, used nightly- I would invest in one for each of you in case it is a bacterial or fungal infection- and spend a few minutes each night brushing the scalp. The natural bristles help stimulate circulation and will pull the natural oils through the hair strand.

Make an appointment at a salon and follow their advice- even if it is to send you to the DR.

I feel your pain!

Mine started about 8 months ago. I became really bad, I couldn't touch my head without a snow storm falling down! I spent in the region of around £100 on various over the counter stuff, including t-gel, nizoral (sp), eucerin (sp) etc, etc.

Went to the docs and got a prescription, can't remember what it was called, but a coal tar ointment of some sort, no difference, went back, prescribed a lotion, no difference. Went back again, and demanded to be referred to either dermatologist or trichologist. The said I needed to see the surgery skin doctor first so reluctantly agreed :irked:

She was really thorough. Took scalp scrapings (nothing there from first results, now they are trying to cultivate and grow them for further tests) in the mean time she gave me shampoo called Capasal and a lotion (can't remember it's name, waiting for new prescription!)

Within 5 days, I noticed a huge difference and 4 weeks later my scalp is almost normal :)

I would say, get to docs and make sure you see one who has some knowledge of skin disorders.

I go back next week for results of scrapings, but I'm just happy it's sorted! I was so conscious of it, working so close to the public, I felt they all were thinking "ooh! look at the state of her dandruff, wouldn't you think she'd do something about it!" so I know how horrible it feels!

Good luck hun :hug:

Thank you all soooo much for your great advice and help......i knew i could count on you geeks :hug::hug:....i shall try what you have said then if nothing changes....get down the doc's........THANK YOU ALL AGAIN :hug::hug:xxxxx

Latest posts

Back