Flat hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balayage

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently changed my shampoo from a drug store to Kerastase Homme (i have hair thinning). I have thin hair, lacking density. I wash them 3 times a week as they get easily flat (especially on summer days). But recently the day after I wash them my hair get already flat so I have to use cornstarch to pump my roots and get the volume I want. Can this be bad for my hair; ps I have bleached white hair and oily scalp. Thanks.

Hi everyone. I recently changed my shampoo from a drug store to Kerastase Homme (i have hair thinning). I have thin hair, lacking density. I wash them 3 times a week as they get easily flat (especially on summer days). But recently the day after I wash them my hair get already flat so I have to use cornstarch to pump my roots and get the volume I want. Can this be bad for my hair; ps I have bleached white hair and oily scalp. Thanks.
Yes this is bad for you scalp, putting cornstarch in your hair could cause follicle clogging, which will result in less hair growth. If your scalp is oily, use a shampoo for oily scalps. MUK hair do a shampoo for oily scalps which is fantastic, it really does help slow down oil production. Leaves the hair lovely and clean, plenty of shine and it doesn't leave the hair dry either.

Yes this is bad for you scalp, putting cornstarch in your hair could cause follicle clogging, which will result in less hair growth. If your scalp is oily, use a shampoo for oily scalps. MUK hair do a shampoo for oily scalps which is fantastic, it really does help slow down oil production. Leaves the hair lovely and clean, plenty of shine and it doesn't leave the hair dry either.
Well thanks a lot. But I'm into Kerastase as it gives awesome volume and I noticed so far a huge improvement in my hair thinning. Any other solutions? A serum propably that sweeps the oil? Or something like that?

Well thanks a lot. But I'm into Kerastase as it gives awesome volume and I noticed so far a huge improvement in my hair thinning. Any other solutions? A serum propably that sweeps the oil? Or something like that?
Serums are generally oil based and coat the hair. If its volume you're looking for then how about professional dry shampoo or something like a volumising powder? Such as Redken powder cloud or affinage wonder dust. That will give you insane volume.

The problem is with shampoos, products etc they're cosmetic so as soon as you stop using them the problem is there again. If your hair density is a worry have you thought about stopping using bleach on it? From your other threads you've mentioned you have white hair, this might be a big contributing factor. Have you also thought about having a consultation with a trichologist? This way they can identify the problem and treat it medically (if treatable).

The problem is with shampoos, products etc they're cosmetic so as soon as you stop using them the problem is there again. If your hair density is a worry have you thought about stopping using bleach on it? From your other threads you've mentioned you have white hair, this might be a big contributing factor. Have you also thought about having a consultation with a trichologist? This way they can identify the problem and treat it medically (if treatable).
Well I have alopecia, and so far with using the right products I noticed a huge improvement (new baby hair, etc) and in the nesr future I will have hair transplant. I won't let that problem stop me from have nice hair (i always wanted to go platinum). I know that bleach make things worse but I use olaplex etc to make less damage. Also, I know about the products but I always use Kerastase Homme and i think I won't change it easily.

Well I have alopecia, and so far with using the right products I noticed a huge improvement (new baby hair, etc) and in the nesr future I will have hair transplant. I won't let that problem stop me from have nice hair (i always wanted to go platinum). I know that bleach make things worse but I use olaplex etc to make less damage. Also, I know about the products but I always use Kerastase Homme and i think I won't change it easily.
I feel like you're stuck in catch 22 then, you won't change your product, but want your hair to change? I don't see how you're going to achieve a different result by continuing to use the same products?

I feel like you're stuck in catch 22 then, you won't change your product, but want your hair to change? I don't see how you're going to achieve a different result by continuing to use the same products?
Any suggestions then?

Any suggestions then?
I'm sorry I made suggestions above, but you said you wouldn't change your products easily as your really like kerastase homme.

I'm sorry I made suggestions above, but you said you wouldn't change your products easily as your really like kerastase homme.
I already checked the shampoo you said (MUK) but I can't find it here in Greece. I will order it online. The price is good as well. And as for the volume the redken powder seems ok (many salon use redken here) so I will buy it for sure.

Also Im an apprentice hairdresser and at the academy i study my teacher said that Kerastase Homme or a shampoo with Taurine is perfect for me (she works in one of the best salons here in Greece). I am not a professional yet so...

Also Im an apprentice hairdresser and at the academy i study my teacher said that Kerastase Homme or a shampoo with Taurine is perfect for me (she works in one of the best salons here in Greece). I am not a professional yet so...
Is the kerastase a densifying shampoo?

Yes. Kerastase bain densite Homme (Densifique). A black bottle.
Τo be honest I found a shampoo from a drug store (90% natural without sulfates, silicones, etc) that not only made my hair up to 3 days non greasy but it gave awesome volume (it was a thickening shsmpoo). But I wanted to switch to salon professional shampoo (in our academy they told us that as we are professional hairdressers we must use those products) so she insisted on me Kerastase Homme. It gives nice texture and condition my bleached hair so they feel so soft. Everyone told me that I have new baby hair coming out. My only problem is that even if they changed to a transparent white gel on the second day my hair feel greasy. Thats propably cause I overdid with the cornstarch too. But idk. Every time I use Kerastase for 2 days I feel a strange sensation on my scalp like the new hair coming out. That's why Im into it.

Τo be honest I found a shampoo from a drug store (90% natural without sulfates, silicones, etc) that not only made my hair up to 3 days non greasy but it gave awesome volume (it was a thickening shsmpoo). But I wanted to switch to salon professional shampoo (in our academy they told us that as we are professional hairdressers we must use those products) so she insisted on me Kerastase Homme. It gives nice texture and condition my bleached hair so they feel so soft. Everyone told me that I have new baby hair coming out. My only problem is that even if they changed to a transparent white gel on the second day my hair feel greasy. Thats propably cause I overdid with the cornstarch too. But idk. Every time I use Kerastase for 2 days I feel a strange sensation on my scalp like the new hair coming out. That's why Im into it.
How long have you been using it? Have you thought about a clay or wax instead of gel, that way you should be able to rework your hair on day 2 rather than apply more product again. Also when you wash your hair do you shampoo it twice?

How long have you been using it? Have you thought about a clay or wax instead of gel, that way you should be able to rework your hair on day 2 rather than apply more product again. Also when you wash your hair do you shampoo it twice?
Well. I dont use gel or wax or other styling products. I wash my hair 3 times a week (as Summer comes). 2/3 times i just shampoo and 1 time per week I use silver reconstruction mask and shampoo as well. I let my hair dry natural and let them be natural (0 styling). When I wash my hair I wash them not twice but 3 times! (as I have oily scalp as I said). But the next day my hair get flat. So now about the shampoo. I use it about a month so I do with the cornstarch. (Usually use it 2 days after I wash my hair cause the next day I wash them again).

Have you thought about shampooing only twice at a time, but washing it more often? The best way to get body in naturally flat hair is to Blowdry it with a lightweight volumising product. If your hair is naturally flat, by leaving it dry naturally the only result you'll get is flat hair!

Have you thought about shampooing only twice at a time, but washing it more often? The best way to get body in naturally flat hair is to Blowdry it with a lightweight volumising product. If your hair is naturally flat, by leaving it dry naturally the only result you'll get is flat hair!
More often? I thought that the less you wash them, the less oil it products. And if you wash more often oily scalp it produces more oil. This is what we learned in the academy i study. Yes you are right about natural dry and flat hair (when I blow dry my hair volume is awesome) but I avoid it as long as I have bleached hair to make less damage. I will try to put a protective heat oil and blow dry them (starting tomorrow). But back to the washing routine. 3 times per week isnt enough? I also have to protect the color :D

Ps: I followed your last advice for 10.16 and I got totally white hair (the color I wanted) [emoji173]️

More often? I thought that the less you wash them, the less oil it products. And if you wash more often oily scalp it produces more oil. This is what we learned in the academy i study. Yes you are right about natural dry and flat hair (when I blow dry my hair volume is awesome) but I avoid it as long as I have bleached hair to make less damage. I will try to put a protective heat oil and blow dry them (starting tomorrow). But back to the washing routine. 3 times per week isnt enough? I also have to protect the color :D

Ps: I followed your last advice for 10.16 and I got totally white hair (the color I wanted) [emoji173]️
Try a water based heat protector not oil it'll be better for your fine hair. As for washing I I think by shampooing it 3 times in one go you could actually be stimulating the sebaceous glands and encouraging oil secretion. My theory for washing it more often and only twice is to see if it becomes less oily. I find that with my skin, my body naturally want to produce more oil if I use strong / astringent product on it for oily ski. Whereas if I use a moisturiser, my skin is better because my body then doesn't produce as much oil because my skin isn't dry. I trained with nioxin, which is a hair and scalp treatment system that was endorsed by the national University of trichologist. We were thought to treat the skin on your head the same as you do the skin on your face. I'm not saying it will definitely work, but just trying to think of other ways for you to try.

Try a water based heat protector not oil it'll be better for your fine hair. As for washing I I think by shampooing it 3 times in one go you could actually be stimulating the sebaceous glands and encouraging oil secretion. My theory for washing it more often and only twice is to see if it becomes less oily. I find that with my skin, my body naturally want to produce more oil if I use strong / astringent product on it for oily ski. Whereas if I use a moisturiser, my skin is better because my body then doesn't produce as much oil because my skin isn't dry. I trained with nioxin, which is a hair and scalp treatment system that was endorsed by the national University of trichologist. We were thought to treat the skin on your head the same as you do the skin on your face. I'm not saying it will definitely work, but just trying to think of other ways for you to try.
I was thinking of Nioxin treatment as I have hair thinning. But I saw many pics on the web of people who got red spots on their skin and irritation cause of the Nioxin treatment.

Update: today I washed my hair and blow dry. The volume is aaaawesome. I didnt even new I had that long hair. xD [emoji173]️

Latest posts

Back