Flat stinks of monomer!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca Rebecca

Reaction score
Hi, I'm rather concerned, I've just started my acrylic/l&p course and have been practising at home yesterday and day before and I can smell monomer in my front room and last night my mum came round and could smell it as soon as she stepped through the door. I have thrown out all the kitchen paper I'd been wiping my Brush on into a metal bin with lid and then taken it out the bin that eve/following am. I've not got a headache but I'm more concerned about my cat as she's staying in the spare room all day and not acting herself so I really need to get this vapour out of my flat! Any ideas what may b causing it? The lid is on the bottle obviously, and the nails I've been practising are in a zipped bag, and nothing's been spilt although I've just realised I may have got a small bit on my table top but I wiped it away with kitchen roll. Any ideas?

Whenever you work you need to be in a ventilated area, so have a window open. Also immediately dispose of any paper towels, cotton pads etc in a tied bag and put straight outside. Has your course covered any health and safety yet? They should ideally have covered safe working practices with you but if not mention it to your tutor.

Do you guys have fans over your stove (the ones that act as a vent to turn on when you are cooking something greasy perhaps)?

They aren't strong enough, but you can turn that fan/vent on in addition to opening a window while you work.

Open windows/doors, and as above, venting if possible in some way.
Also, keep a closed bin outside the door and use that to store the waste in instead of indoors.

If you can, some brands use lower odour monomers, so changing product can make a huge difference to the odour issue.

Thanx guys I'll give these tips a try. We haven't been told any health and safety in this course yet but I will mention when were back in class monday

Latest posts

Back