Flyers....do they work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divine Locks

Reaction score
I've just got back from another rain-soaked day posting flyers in my local area and a horrible thought occurred to me - am i doing this for nothing?.

I really need to drum up more business and i'm determined to do it but surely there is a more effective way.

I've read lynne's thread and put quite a few of her points into action but so far nothing. What marketing method has been the most productive for you?

It's been my experience that word of mouth is your best bet.

What's Lynne's thread? Thanks

I'd love to get clients from word of mouth but getting clients in the first place to spread the word is proving impossible.

I've even been trawling the jobcentre website looking for part time work just to get some kind of income to pay the bills but all jobs seem to require evenings or weekends which I cant do as my childminder only works weekdays.

I'm starting to get really depressed now as I am literally willing to do anything (as long as its legal) but the jobs just aren't out there.

Sorry for the rant its just soooo frustrating!

Don't loose hope, you'll get there eventually. You sound a determined and committed type so don't loose heart. When I first set up, I put an ad in my local paper; it was a feature which cost me £120. The paper comes out on a Wednesday and I'd made the money back by the end of the week. As already said, once you've got the clients, it's word of mouth. However, some people have got nothing back from a newspaper ad but loads from leaflet drops). A lot of it is trial and error. Good luck and don't loose focus.

Pounding the pavements for months on end putting thousands of leaflets through doors eventually paid off for me, but it takes time. I did it every chance I could get and eventually started getting calls and those clients then spread the word. It's soul destroying, I know, I've been there but now 10 hrs later I have built up a fantastic client base and don't need to do the leafleting anymore.

Ads in papers didn't work for me and once I stood in our local shopping precinct all day handing out flyers to no avail. I've often thought about popping them on windscreens in supermarket car parks.

Hang in there, it will happen!

Pounding the pavements for months on end putting thousands of leaflets through doors eventually paid off for me, but it takes time. I did it every chance I could get and eventually started getting calls and those clients then spread the word. It's soul destroying, I know, I've been there but now 10 hrs later I have built up a fantastic client base and don't need to do the leafleting anymore.

Ads in papers didn't work for me and once I stood in our local shopping precinct all day handing out flyers to no avail. I've often thought about popping them on windscreens in supermarket car parks.

Hang in there, it will happen!

Thanks, its nice to know I didn't get soaked for nothing then :lol:. Hmmm maybe i'll stand in the high street tomorrow, at least that way I'll get to speak to the people i'm giving the leaflets to, there wasn't anyone about today because of the weather.

hiya, 2 weeks ago i did a leaflet drop in my village, i only did a couple of streets prob 100 - 200 leaflets, ive had 7 clients from those already and they are now recommending me!! and ive just found out that someone else in the village is working form home doing bio and yet im still getting clients!! keep at it hun , it takes time but will be worth it!

Hi, just thought I'd add my little bit, I have done several leaflet drops about 3000 in total and only a few clients from it :-( however I do believe in word of mouth, I asked one of my friends who works in a busy bar if I could do her nails and carry some of my business cards. This has worked brilliant for me and has generated some good returning clients. .... Just my little bit. Xx

I run a hair salon and the best marketing strategy I had was to approach my local nail salon, beauty salon and gym - all of which I was a client anyway - and ask them to come on board to create a quad brand. We launched it as a kind of Spa and put an ad in the paper. Clients of one business can recieve a 15% introductory discount if they wish to try another business within the quand brand, with the option to purchase an annual discount card that entitles them to 10% off all services throughout all 4 businesses for 1 year.
Its worked really well and has meant that we are all sharing our client bases. On average we get arount 40 - 50 new clients a month.
I stress that I was a client of these places before so I knew I was affliating myslelf with other businesses that would reflect my standards. Its not wise to jump on board with any old place as people will judge you by your affiliates.
We then offer reccomend a friend cards so these new clients can spread the word for us :biggrin:

That sounds like a really good idea JoJo, and one that I would never have thought about. Our town is jam packed full of salons, some good and some not so good, so I have plenty of choice :biggrin:.

I'm off to the high street today to hand out flyers so I'll pop into a couple of salons while i'm there and test the water so to speak.

I've also been thinking about holding a ladies pamper evening in aid of a charity as nobody seems to do them around here, have any geeks ever done this before and could you offer any advice?

yes yes yes. depends on the flyers of course but you will be surprised. have something written on there ie mention **&&^^ so you can monitor it. we have done 2 advertising campaigns this week and have offered 20& discount if you quote "happy easter" for 1 of them and "happy anniversary" for the other so we can monitor it. amazing response (different sort of campaign but using as an example) my leaflets have certainly got me very far. good luck!

Hi, lots of great ideas in this thread and I have to agree that flyers were the best EVER strategy for me and I pounded the pavements and did it all myself too. I found though, that I didn't always get an immediate response, but I did find that people tended to keep the flyer and I got enquiries long after I had delivered them - they do work so try to hang in there. The other good strategy was collaborating with other 'like' businesses and referring clients to each other. All of this takes time, I know, but it will work. You just need to get out there and network and introduce yourself to businesses, community groups etc and look for opportunities for exposure....

Just wondering, if handing out flyers in a busy street or leaflet dropping is it best to wear your uniform?

Wearing a uniform does help

I've never gotten a client through my flyers. I don't do them anymore it wasn't worth the blisters!
All word of mouth x

i have wandered round town with pricelists and like to have my tunic on show just to look more professional, even if i have a jacket on if its cold and just have it open

I think flyers can work, but I always do targeted drops, rather than random house type drops.

For example, thinking about the places your customers go....and leaving flyers there. Are they yummy mummies taking their children to groups at the local library? Are they in starbucks?

I think flyers can work, but I always do targeted drops, rather than random house type drops.

For example, thinking about the places your customers go....and leaving flyers there. Are they yummy mummies taking their children to groups at the local library? Are they in starbucks?

I've been thinking of this but wasn't sure if it would be allowed? Most places don't have any other form of advertising there like Starbucks for example, so I would imagine the answer would be no if I asked to leave some flyers there, as what's in it for them (other than saying you'd do staff at a discount) I'd also thought about asking my local pub if I can leave some in the ladies toilets (they are nice toilets Lol!) but again, if they said yes to me, then they'd have to say yes to lots more other people wouldn't they, so again, I haven't asked because I'm imagining the answer is no. Silly I know, you don't ask you don't get but common sense gets the better of me and I think there's no point in asking in the first place as if it were allowed, I'd be seeing other business advertising too?? :confused:

Latest posts

Back