Foil highlights question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amylouise12

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newly qualified hairdresser qualified in June, today my friend asked me if I would do foil highlights bleach, I sectioned the hair and started to weave and foils I was moving round the head I noticed the foils getting really hot and leaking what looked like water, I took her up stairs and rinsed the hair as I panicked as this has never happened before the hair looked fine and colour took fine, could anyone shed some light on this please is it normal? Thanks

Where abouts are you based?

When you mix bleach and peroxide the oxidation process is known as a exothermic reaction- that mean that it generates heat. However it shouldn't be noticeable unless the client has a catalyst on their hair (a catalyst will speed up the reaction.)

The water that you saw leaking is the water from the hydrogen peroxide as catalyst breaks down the peroxide.

You did the right thing to rinse straight away. You can use a cheating agent to remove the metallic compounds from her hair and have her fit a filtering shower head or at least use a chelating shampoo.

No this isn't normal.
Did you do s strand test first? Did she have a box colour on her hair before you tried to bleach it?

This generally happens when there is to much metallic salts in the hair, OTC box colours contain a large amount of metallic salts
. Well done for removing it before it fried her hair

Always always strand test a clients hair.

I've never even heard of this, well done for getting her washed off [emoji53]

I'm based in Blackburn, I did a strand test first and it was fine so I went ahead with the foils, she had a good half a year regrow on her hair, only the ends where coloured with blonde bleach I think although it looks quite faded! Thank you for your replies, I ended up weaving the rest with a spatula and it was absolutely fine :)

What foil did you use?

Hair foil from Sally's always used it :)

Hi I'm a newly qualified hairdresser qualified in June, today my friend asked me if I would do foil highlights bleach, I sectioned the hair and started to weave and foils I was moving round the head I noticed the foils getting really hot and leaking what looked like water, I took her up stairs and rinsed the hair as I panicked as this has never happened before the hair looked fine and colour took fine, could anyone shed some light on this please is it normal? Thanks
100% Agree with Adam....
I have also seen this happen. It happens somewhat frequently in North San Diego when the clients live near the military base :(
Hard water chemicals build up on the hair and the stylist is busy weaving away and the foils get so hot they are hard to even touch. I would highly suggest the client gets a shower filter. It really helps collect a lot of the chemicals that build up on the hair. The client has to change the filter a few times a year and when they do its filled with a green sand/ powder that would normally be grabbing onto the porous hair.

This happened when I was training. I was doing high lights to my sister. Long time ago so was a cap. We lived in the country so had a private well. So I put bleach on them a plastic cap 5 mins she says this is hot. Took cap off moved hair that was piled on top. There was big puff of smoke. We ran to bathroom so quick.
It was fine tho. I thought it was going to wash down the plug hole [emoji16][emoji16]

I find this happens with clients who use Pantene or tresseme or Similar... The buildup/ coating on the hair reacts with the bleach

I have had this happen on occasion it seems to be when my client is hot and giving off a lot of heat.

I'm just intrested why would foil have a difference

Kitchen foil is treated with chemicals to keep our food clean and can, very rarely, but still can react with hair colour.

Kitchen foil is treated with chemicals to keep our food clean and can, very rarely, but still can react with hair colour.

Uggghhhhh people who foil with kitchen foil!!!! I don't know how they do it tbh

Never used kitchen foil lol it's way to thick and like you said its for food not hair

Latest posts

Back