Foil Sectioning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren21

Reaction score
Hi Just wondering what sectioning you use mostly for foils especially over the parting and crown area ? Never sure whether to go all forward from the crown over the parting or use the herringbone sectioning. Any advice would be great:)

I normally do anything BUT I never go straight across the top of the parting cause those stripes look vile!! Who wants to look like a zebra crossing!!! Really??

I normally do anything BUT I never go straight across the top of the parting cause those stripes look vile!! Who wants to look like a zebra crossing!!! Really??

Have to agree I HATE that striped look it just screams cheap to me! Just my opinion. It just depends if the hair is long or short with me or where the parting sits etc. and also the desired look from the client too :) xx

Hi Just wondering what sectioning you use mostly for foils especially over the parting and crown area ? Never sure whether to go all forward from the crown over the parting or use the herringbone sectioning. Any advice would be great:)

Hey, what's the herringbone sectioning?xx

Hey, what's the herringbone sectioning?xx

The way I was taught, draw a horse shoe shape, the back of the head, is the rounded bit of horse shoe. Then draw a 'v' shape with the tip of the v pointing towards the forehead, keep drawing v getting bigger towards the forehead, this is herring bone, I'm not a fan but I do it every so often just re-create the drawing on a client :) u put foils where the v is

when i do str8 across i never end up with that stripy look . . to me thats tell tale that there hasnt been enough foils put in or they been weaved too chunky. . . a tigi rep got me doing a block at either side of the parting leaving the tiniest of veils at either side and foiling up towards the parting on either side, gives a very natural look x

when i do str8 across i never end up with that stripy look . . to me thats tell tale that there hasnt been enough foils put in or they been weaved too chunky. . . a tigi rep got me doing a block at either side of the parting leaving the tiniest of veils at either side and foiling up towards the parting on either side, gives a very natural look x

I agree with exactly what Scotty said. Also if I've got enough time I like to go around the head in a spiral which ends up looking like a foil hat hah, very natural result though.

I mostly section either side of the parting, taking very very fine weaves and sections to create a natural look, no chunky lines for me! This is how I was taught as the hair will fall into its natural parting and show what you've done anyway so its best to have control over that and make it good?:cool:

Thanks viva glam!
Does this take much longer then a normal half head?

I don't usually have stripey highlights either scotty!

xxx

Shouldn't do. If I'm doing that method as half head foils, I continue to take my sections vertically around the sides all the way from the crown. So I've then got 4 sections. If that makes sense?

I like to go in at an angle from the ears and hair line and work diagonally up to and over the parting (if that makes sense)so you dont get a liney look round when hairs pulled off the face and colour falls really naturally! I dont really have a strict sectioning pattern but If i go back straight back over the parting the i do loads of back to backs and it never looks stripey! Its definitely all about the amount put in at the thickness of the weave! xXx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I like to go in at an angle from the ears and hair line and work diagonally up to and over the parting (if that makes sense)so you dont get a liney look round when hairs pulled off the face and colour falls really naturally! I dont really have a strict sectioning pattern but If i go back straight back over the parting the i do loads of back to backs and it never looks stripey! Its definitely all about the amount put in at the thickness of the weave! xXx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I usually do this angled one too on mid-long hair. And yeh true also about weaving fine enough no to create stripes it's not a good look xx

for a full head i do the usual 9 sections. at the front i take them upwards from each ear until i get to my parting section. i usually take it up to just after the crown from the back, and then foil the rest from the front. (as in standing in front of the client, and starting at the fringe area up to the point i finished just after the crown).

as long as there are enough foils in, and they arent woven to thick, this does look nice and natural :) :wink2:

for a full head i do the usual 9 sections. at the front i take them upwards from each ear until i get to my parting section. i usually take it up to just after the crown from the back, and then foil the rest from the front. (as in standing in front of the client, and starting at the fringe area up to the point i finished just after the crown).

as long as there are enough foils in, and they arent woven to thick, this does look nice and natural :) :wink2:

Thanks for all your replies. I guess its down to personal choice and what you have been taught. I usually do the same sectioning as del<3 without the stripy look but tend to get into a rut and need to change my sectioning so great to hear what you guys do:wink2:

I agree with exactly what Scotty said. Also if I've got enough time I like to go around the head in a spiral which ends up looking like a foil hat hah, very natural result though.

The foil hat sounds interesting, i love trying new ways of foiling and i change it to fit the clients hair but i haven't seen the foil spiral yet, im going to have to have a look on you tube x x

The foil hat sounds interesting, i love trying new ways of foiling and i change it to fit the clients hair but i haven't seen the foil spiral yet, im going to have to have a look on you tube x x

I tend to use that technique on fine hair. Either way it does give a lovely result well worth a try :)

Latest posts

Back