Foils and gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrsnailamilo

Reaction score
Hello everyone !!!! Got some foils today to play with, and would like to put the on my gel toes, any way after lots of reading on here, I did not find what I was looking for, if I have my stickey layer of gel, do I scrubfresh add foil fix then gel top coat?? or does the stickey gel act as a glue?? If I wipe the stickey layer of grl of what will my top coat stick to or would I file the glue??? Thanks guys for your help xx

that would depend on the type of foils.
Are they transfer foils? or foils like "gold leafing'? Or the broken up bits similar to mylar, for a cracked ice look?

Let me know :wink2:

Thanks for your quick reply!! They are the transfer foils, the ones you rub over with cotton.

Transfer foils require an adhesive, and the 'backing' peels away.
Rubbing over with cotton or brushing on, is usually gold leafing (not necessarily real gold, but you get what I mean).

Are they ultra delicate and tear if you breathe on them?

No, quite strong, they are the spangles metallic wrap, it says on back apply wrap adhesive, let dry, apply wrap with backing side stuck to the nail, using cotton bud rub the surface, it is not thin like the gold leaf

Ok, so like this?:

foiltransfer.jpg

They come in all sorts of colours and patterns, and the backing is clear?

Ok, how I do it is this:

- Prep and refill nail as usual.
- Finish-file the nail to get desired shape
- dust and dehydrate
- Apply the adhesive to where you want the foil to be, let dry until tacky and invisible (no longer 'bluish' in colour). Holding under a lamp speeds this up BUT you don't want it too dry. Must be immediately after it turns 'clear'.
- Lay transfer foil over the adhesive, careful to avoid airbubbles, firmly rubbing in long strokes in one direction until you see that it's lifting off/separating on it's own, then pull off the backing, leaving behind the foil.
- Apply top gloss over top, and cure. (being sure to get sides and free edge, encasing the foil within the gel)

A sticky layer will not act like an ahesive for the foils.
The only way to do transfer foils is with the adhesive intended for them.
Hope this helps

:hug:

Yes same as them!!!! and you have been a great help thanks :hug: xx

Anytime :hug: Have fun and let us know how you get on.

The transfer foils are very tricky, and will likely take several tries before you get it just right (it's all in how dry/wet the adhesive is.. tricky stuff)
Once you do, you'll enjoy them.
I like the sheer pearl one, sort of opal-like, to lay over polish to give a really cool effect.

Stick some tips on popsicle or wooden coffee sticks and practice a few times before trying on a client. It's not easy stuff, but again.. once you master it, it's great fun.

:green:

Latest posts

Back