Foot Binding Tradition

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snugglepuss

Reaction score
It is thought that the tradition of foot binding commenced in the 10th century and ended in the 20th century.

Girls feet were usually bound from the age of 6 and in some cases as young as 4. It was done at this early age to prevent the arch of the foot forming properly. Usually the bandages applied first in the winter, so that the foot would be numb and therefore the pain would not be as severe.

Feet would first be soaked in warm water or animal blood and herbs and this mix would cause any dead skin to fall off. Toenails would be cut as short as possible, so that they would not grow into the foot. A foot massage would be followed by the four smallest toes on each foot being broken. Silk or cotton bandages were soaked in the same liquid (described above) and then the bandages, which were ten feet long and two inches wide, were wrapped around the four smallest toes and pulled tightly to the heel. Sometimes a deep incision would have to be made in the sole of the foot to make it easier.

At first the young girl would feel extreme pain and as she would be walking mainly on the heel part of the foot, she would develop hard callouses. Every two days, the binding was removed and the feet rebound. This part of the process went on for two years. By this time her feet were three to four inches long. To assure the feet staying small, the ritual continued for at least ten more years.

However, after years of her feet being bound, unable to put weight on her doubled-under toes, the bones would heal in the position of the binding and the girl would no longer feel pain.

Its purpose was to produce a tiny foot, the "golden lotus" and it is believed that the tradition first started, when women began replicating an imperial concubine Yao Niang, who had been ordered by the emperor Li Yu to bind her feet with silk bands and dance on a golden lotus platform encrusted with pearls and gems. She danced so gracefully, it appeared as if she was skimming over the top of golden lilies. The other concubines were envious and they all started binding their feet in order to impress the emperor. It was seen as beautiful and distinguished, dainty and elegant. It gradually became the prevailing style and "golden lotus" became a synonym for bound feet.

In 1911, foot binding was banned and in 1915 the Chinese government declared the practice illegal. Monetary fines were issued to those that ignored the ban and continued to uphold the tradition. In some remote areas of China, the practice carried on until the 1930s. The last factory which manufactured shoes for bound feet, ceased production of shoes 50 years later.

So geeky friends, those of you who have achy feet due to high heels etc, just think how much worse it could have been!

Attachments

• foot-binding.jpg
    foot-binding.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 10,502
  • shoes1small.jpg
    shoes1small.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 962
  • bfoot.jpg
    bfoot.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 515
  • 31265.jpg
    31265.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,198
Interesting reading- well done mate x

OMG, its unbelivable what people will got through for the sake of 'fashion'! Very interesting read hun.:)

enjoyed that little read...very interesting. x

Its amazing what people have done (& still do!) in the name of beauty. Very interesting thanks.

Got to admit, I winced a couple of times reading that... very interesting though, thanks Deb x

Fascinating stuff.. its amazing how different cultures behave. I am pleased that they no longer perform such rituals on their young girls nowadays.

Very interesting reading Debs.. :)

Thank you for your comments geeky ones - I thought it would be an interesting read after all the toe threads :eek:

I am as I type :wink2: trying to think of more interesting threads for you all :green:

wow i want to see a better picture of what the foot looks like

wow i want to see a better picture of what the foot looks like
Double Click on the piccie of your choice and it will enlarge hths xx

great reading hun, what a barbaric practice :irked: , thank god for trainers:lol:

That really was fascinating. I love reading about what other cultures see as being fashionable.

Although some of the shoes that I've worn in the past could probably have the same effect if worn for too long! <ouch!> :lol:

Great reading but the pics especially the first did make me feel a little queasy. :eek: :)

That was a very interesting read, thank you Debs ...

Til I got to the picture of the foot & it made me feel queasy ... how painful!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank goodness for flipflops!!

That was a very interesting read, thank you Debs ...

Til I got to the picture of the foot & it made me feel queasy ... how painful!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank goodness for flipflops!!
:lol: I did wonder about adding the pictures but then I thought it would truly show how deformed the feet became :eek:

The reading is interesting no matter how cruel, stupid and totally absurd the practice is. To think that all this was done just to show off and satisfy someone's pride - the parents' pride, e.g.
It's disgusting... and very sad that the human may turn out to be such a perverted animal - and I view it as some 'perversion in the brains'. And to hell with euphemisms like 'culture' and all. It's pervert, psychotic and very immature.

Latest posts

Back