Foot massage with gloves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittikit

Reaction score
hi all,
I was just curious whether you and your staff massage feet in gloves.
and i mean not during a pedicure. a massage.

i didnt really like when 1 of my staff said she is doing it in gloves as i dont feel thats very massage like.. she said she will not touch anyones feet, she might get some infection and so on, and that she cant risk it as it is her hands that do the job and if she does get something she wont be able to work. i understood this. but later on the client complained that she would have preferred a massage without gloves.. which i can understand..

so what do you do?
should i force the staff or ?

thanks for your advice.

It's a toughie.

Personally I would want my staff to massage without gloves. Give the feet a really good clean at the start, wash hands and begin massage. I'm not sure what she thinks she is going to catch!

However, I also know that some people hate feet with a vengeance so for her it really might be abhorrent to touch feet in which case you have to question whether this is the job for her.

Does she stop at the bottom of the legs and whip out a pair of gloves?

This is not something I would want done but you have to weigh up her value as a member of staff then decide if the not touching feet thing is a deal breaker - ie you insist and she leaves/gets a warning etc

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Clients shouldn't be having their feet massaged if they have anything that may be contagious. A consultation should have been carried out which would have highlighted an potential issues.

We cleanse the feet with warm mitts at the start of the massage so they are squeaky clean for when it is their turn to be massaged.

I wouldn't want my staff using gloves for a foot massage.

:)

Last edited:
I am a massage therapist and wouldn't dream of massaging in gloves.

It's a common issue that people are grossed out by feet, but if a therapist can't touch someone's feet, they are in the wrong job.

Every massage should include consultation to ensure that there are no contra indications. I cleanse my hands before and after every massage with gel to minimise the risk of cross contamination.

Any massage of the body with gloves is horrible! I wouldn't pay for the treatment of that was the case ... The idea of massage is to use the healing power of touch which means touching the client.

Therapist should sanitise hands pre and post treatment, can wipe over feet with warm mitts / towel and alcohol sanitiser if needed.

She's in the wrong job, I would be horrified as a client and an employer to learn I would be massaged with gloves!!! I'd demand a refund!

I would hate to have my feet massaged by a therapist wearing gloves. I'd wonder what was so offensive about my feet!

hi all,
I was just curious whether you and your staff massage feet in gloves.
and i mean not during a pedicure. a massage.

i didnt really like when 1 of my staff said she is doing it in gloves as i dont feel thats very massage like.. she said she will not touch anyones feet, she might get some infection and so on, and that she cant risk it as it is her hands that do the job and if she does get something she wont be able to work. i understood this. but later on the client complained that she would have preferred a massage without gloves.. which i can understand..

so what do you do?
should i force the staff or ?

thanks for your advice.

I don't offer massage but to me if she's comfortable with gloves on then so be it. Its just for the feet and I see it being no different then massaging with gloves on during a pedicure. Obviously the rest of the body it would be a big no no.

As a client, I've had massage and most massage therapists wear gloves for the foot massage. I don't feel a huge difference where I would be upset, insulted or demand a refund

Just my two cents :)

Well I would normally say the same however my husband decided to lay a floor in our bathroom as he is useless I ended up doing it which gave me a massive blister on my index finger lol not a good look. I had some honey I shrunk customers in where you massage the oil in so I wore a glove as thought they might be grossed out by my Mankey finger. I apologised but they said it felt just the same. Xxx the only thing I would say is if they made me feel like they hated my feet it would make me feel uncomfortable xxxx

Latest posts

Back