for all MUA, anyone use airbase??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthlm

Reaction score
Thinking of investing, so was wondering if anyone uses or has used this and if so how did/would you rate it?? I thought it would be really good for bridal, including tattoo cover ups for the big day?? :)

Hi

I use it and it's a great service to be able to offer and one that people will pay extra for. There are other brands out there and I don't know what their start-up costs are, but once you've got all the gear you can use other brands too. I use MAC airbrush foundations as well.

Also worth remembering that once you've done the Airbase pro course (free with your kit) you get a discount on products. x

thanks for that, didnt realise about the discount for airbase trained, and good to know there are other airbase foundations as well, I thought it looked good, not too many people using it though?? suppose thats good, as its a service to offer thats a bit extra/different option x

I wouldn't take too much notice of the list of people offering it on their website. There were four people on my course from my region, all of whom had been attracted by the fact that "no one in our area" was offering it. We have not been added to this list so I can only assume that it's pretty out of date.

But like I said I've found it a good thing to offer and I forgot to say last time that you can use the Airbase foundations "normally" as well as with the gun x

I wouldn't take too much notice of the list of people offering it on their website. There were four people on my course from my region, all of whom had been attracted by the fact that "no one in our area" was offering it. We have not been added to this list so I can only assume that it's pretty out of date.

I've been using it for over a year and have asked many times to be added to their 'stockist' list on the website but it still never happens.

I trained with Airbase but didn't like the finish as I thought it made peoples skin look dry and ageing in natural daylight. Everyone on the course looked dehydrated and wrinkly (in my opinion) even the model the teacher did the demo on. I got my money back for the kit but they kept my money for the training even though the training was meant to be discounted with the kit, they kept the full price training, so I wasted a lot of money for nothing. The training was not in-depth as it is just foundation and blusher.

I was told the finish was dependent on the skin being perfect to begin with which for me was a joke as if your skin was perfect why would you need it.

Others love the product, you may too, but it wasn't for me. Make sure to get a demo on yourself.

I know a few people who rate the foundation but put it on with a brush as it needs more blending to look natural, again you may as well use any foundation.

I just want to give my opinion and recommend you try it before investing your money x :hug:

Everyone on the course looked dehydrated and wrinkly (in my opinion)

Thank you Weezie, I may be 40 next month but I do not have one single wrinkle on my face so I assume that I fitted into the 'dehydrated' category? :lol:

I've been using it for over a year and have asked many times to be added to their 'stockist' list on the website but it still never happens.

Exactly!

As regards the finish, each to their own I guess, as with any other product range. However I did find that on the training day we were all applying way too heavily and no, this isn't flattering to the skin. The light in the room wasn't great either. If it had been a bridal trial we'd have had no takers!!

It was a couple of practices at home later before I got it. Less is more and because the veil of make-up coming out is so fine (providing your machine is set up properly) the coverage can build very subtly. Yes it can cover imperfections, but I've found it's also popular with brides who never normally wear much make-up, as the coverage can be so "natural".

As I mentioned before, there are other brands of airbrush make-up and I hope to try more, but I found Airbase a good introduction. If you're unsure what to go with maybe find someone in your area that offers it (not using the Airbase website - as discussed lol) and see what you think before investing in the kit or course.

Exactly!

As regards the finish, each to their own I guess, as with any other product range. However I did find that on the training day we were all applying way too heavily and no, this isn't flattering to the skin. The light in the room wasn't great either. If it had been a bridal trial we'd have had no takers!!

This is just what I found too, I now dilute more with the thinner and apply it much lighter and if necessary build it up. The results is a lot better but it is true that I don't think it suits all skin types. It's just not good for very mature skin with loads or wrinkles but otherwise its great when applied correctly.

I'm looking into trying some of the different brands around, especially those with different colours as the Airbase is primarily foundation but I want to try some real fashion/fantasey looks.

Hi, I use Airbase and I dilute the foundation also with the thinner which gives a much better coverage.

I did my mum's make up a couple of weeks a go for a wedding and she is 69 and the difference was amazing, even with the wrinkles. She was almost in tears as she couldn't believe how good she looked. It definitely does take a lot of practice to get it right.

so I am guesing you would put the thinner into the gun after you have put the foundation in then?? what kind of ratio are you using?? x

I have just trained with Airbase & my kit wasn't in stock but I'm getting it tomorrow. I wasn't too sure what to think of the make up tbh :( but I put it down to needing practise. But I suppose at the end of the day you have a gun & compressor for a resonable price & other brands can be used with it. I have worked with Temptu & I like it, but that's just using it with a brush (their machine broke, lol!)

Yea I had looked at that system as well, but it looked like you could only really use the temptu cartridges in in them, theres denair and mac as well that supply airbrush make up, I would only be using it for foundation, and maybe blush, I like using my brushes for everythign else, I have my kit, and have to find a suitable time for me to get the training, as its far away and midweek, which is difficult with me having th e kids, would be interested to know about diluting it, I could always ask when I arange my course date xx

First post!

I've done the training and I also thought I looked really over made up and a bit dry and aged. But the demo the trainer did looked amazing, so I guess I just need to practice.

Hi Salj, thanks for the feedback, maybe as you said it takes a bit of time to perfect things, hoping I find out how to dilute as well for clients that may want this, I have got the proffesional kit through, just have to try and get a training day on a sunday now, they are looking into a 1-1, I know I am gonna get it out and have a play before then though, got willing guinea pig coming into the salon tomorro for some lash extensions so will maybe claim her face before hand to have a play lol, welcome to geekland, prepare to be addicted he he x

To dilute, 1 to 2 drops of thinner for every 8 drops of foundation

hth xxx

thanks louise, will try that! xx

If you have a MAC Pro card you'll find they do airbrush masterclasses a couple of times a year - I'm sure they must do some events in Scotland x

Have just been reading the thread regarding the mac pro card, might very well be worth looking into, for the discount on the airbrush make upas well, I use a moneral brand for my shadows and powders/blushers that I love, but £25 isnt a huge amount of money, are the classes expensive? do you get to use your discount on these also? x

Latest posts

Back