For Educators & Distributors: what ratio of students continue on full time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
This question is directed at Educators and Distributors.

Of those that take courses, what percentage continue beyond 12mths and what ratio do you think develop a full time career.

I have my own thoughts on this, watching newbies come and go here on Geek.
Also, from my one of my own classes, I'm one of 6 that continued (and that's only one class, never mind the others).

So, I'd be curious to know what are the actual statistics.

thanks!

Good topic Victoria :hug:

I think it may be hard to get actual numbers. I don't know anyone who keeps figures but like you think it would be interesting to know.

Many people do courses (especially short ones!) for fun or because their partners/parents pay for them as they think they will be able to create pocket money from friends or family clients and we all know that simply doesn't work :wink2:

Also you need to take into account qualified therapists who do a course as an 'add on' treatment. I know I have done plenty of those i.e. Crystal Therapy, Aromatherapy and although I may use elements of these on clients I would not class myself as a Holistic Therapist.

I keep in touch with my students . Beauty is higher at around 85% and nails around 62%

Tigixxx

Of my VTCT2 beauty I was one of 3 out of 20 that continued into the industry.

So on average, probably 50% or less continue on to have a full time career as a Nail Tech/Stylist?

Perhaps someone who runs a school AND a distributorship can better answer this by cross-referencing their past students against their repeat-buyers list (and that their actual consumption is, which should be a good indicator as to whether it's a hobby or a career)?

My guesstimate would be that overall, not more than 20% of nail students have what I would call a serious 'business' a year after their training.

At CND we have a much higher rate than that, but then CND courses tend to attract the more serious minded person as it is a larger commitment in the first place to invest in the CND training.

Oh this is an interesting post I am a student in nails at the moment and I intend on carry on when I qualify after my years course has ended, if I wasn't serious I wouldn't bother in the first place as its such hard work to get to college on time I have 4 kids to get ready in the morning get them to school and breakfast club then get to college by 9 I don't drive so it's a mission in the mornings.
I have paid out a lot of money on extra courses and products stocking up for when I finish, I have been making a business plan and most of my spare time is spent researching and practising.
I really want to do well and make something of myself at the end of it.x

Oh this is an interesting post I am a student in nails at the moment and I intend on carry on when I qualify after my years course has ended, if I wasn't serious I wouldn't bother in the first place as its such hard work to get to college on time I have 4 kids to get ready in the morning get them to school and breakfast club then get to college by 9 I don't drive so it's a mission in the mornings.
I have paid out a lot of money on extra courses and products stocking up for when I finish, I have been making a business plan and most of my spare time is spent researching and practising.
I really want to do well and make something of myself at the end of it.x

Well you are one of the 20% with a serious head ..

thousands do courses who only want to work for pin money and do 'family and friends' !! Everyone has different motives ...

what I'm saying is, that most who do nail courses are not service minded, have no idea what a commitment is to customers or what it really means to make a business; they do it for a hobby or for a bit of fun for awhile.

Blame it on the so called 'training prodviders' for making the entry level so low and the classes so quick and ineffective, that their students are not prepared to start a business at the end of it.

Well you are one of the 20% with a serious head ..

thousands do courses who only want to work for pin money and do 'family and friends' !! Everyone has different motives ...

what I'm saying is, that most who do nail courses are not service minded, have no idea what a commitment is to customers or what it really means to make a business; they do it for a hobby or for a bit of fun for awhile.

Blame it on the so called 'training prodviders' for making the entry level so low and the classes so quick and ineffective, that their students are not prepared to start a business at the end of it.

Reading this makes me a bit more determined to do well, I know it's going to take a long time to get up and running properly , that's why I have started advertising the things I can do and I have made a like page on fb etc. Also half way through making leaflets and thinking about price list even though I still have another 6 months or so until I finish. I have a name and a logo which a salon geek designed for me. I am looking into volunteering in a salon near me for even more experience I am really enjoying the course and our tutors are brilliant.

Speaking from a student point of view... I attended a "combined beauty services course" last year (in Australia) which consists of cert 2 in nail technology, hairdressing, make up artistry and retail skin care service. At the start of the year there were 24 students, at the end 15. Only 1 passed the whole course (myself) and only 2 people passed nails. Few more past hair and make up but that's it. I am the only one who has done something with the certificates :) sad percentage though

Latest posts

Back