for everyone who has a home based salon..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tashaonline

Reaction score
I assume you are self employed but dont you have to register your home as a business too? if so what do you need to know...and pay lol as it must be expensive when your just starting out?
just wondering I work in a spa and would like to go home based
thanks!
tashax

I don't think you have to register your home as a business as such, but in some areas you do require a licence from your local authority if you offer massage. I think this is to legitimise what you do, otherwise they might think you are running a massage parlour:lol:

In addition, some local authorities require you to have a licence if you do electrolysis and / or ear piercing.

With regard to expenses, definitely keep a record of everything you buy. You will have capital expenses such as your couch and other 'big' equipment, and stock, i.e products etc.

I believe you can also claim a percentage of your household bills, for instance if you have a 5-roomed house and you use one room, you can claim one fifth.

Definitely find yourself an accountant though, as their fee will probably be more than covered by the money they save you.:hug:

thanks for the advice

anyone else have any advice as i know there are a few homebased peeps on here!

Tashax

Imalso looking at this so ill watch this thread xx

Ask your local council if it is okay to use your home as business just to make sure too. There may be some concerns if you have lots of visitors to your home and parking is an issue. Don't want to fall out with neighbours.

You may have to pay rates if you have a separate door into your salon. e.g. not using your front door.

I personally don't pay any of my own household electricity or gas bills from the business. I'm sure someother geek on here can tell you about that bit.

The one you have to watch is your home insurance! Most won't cover you. If you talk to H&L Balen they have an excellent policy that covers therapists working from home.

When I set up mine I talked to several departments of my local council (Wolverhampton) and they all advised, off the record, not to officially inform them as it wasn't worth it. They don't require massage etc to be licensed so no need to.

Local councils in London are goverened by a local by-law that requires the premesis and therapist to be licensed. Prices vary by district.

Mat

You need permission off your mortgage provider as well, as a lot wont allow you to run a business from home, insurance as already said, local council....you have to ask your neighbours, you may also be liable for business rates on the part of your home that you use for business...this varies greatly from area to area but if you ring your local mbc they will let you know....they may also want you to have a health & safety inspection, I have recently had mine.:)

so it could be quite expensive then?! hard when you are just starting out and dont know if its going to work out or not

so to put it basic to convert a bedroom into therapy room you would have to:

may need licence from council
may need to sort out home insurance cover (h and l balen as suggested how much is the policy for that?
and reg as self employed or something different?
may need health and safety checks

is that everything

thanks
Tasha

anyone? :lol:

You have to bear in mind as well the disposing of clinical waste, i.e used waxing strips, they have to be collected differently, anyone help with this one..what do you do?

You have to bear in mind as well the disposing of clinical waste, i.e used waxing strips, they have to be collected differently, anyone help with this one..what do you do?

I just put them in the bin. Never heard of this before and certainly won't be bothering. Why would you need too, not as if it is body parts or the like! lol

Ive just opened up at home and we called the Council to see if we needed to pay rates, we didnt as the salon is so small.
We also got insurance and public liability, as a fall on your property could end you financially! Sorted the mortgage out, registered as Self emloyed.
Wasnt expensive at all, our insurance is really the only thing we have had to pay extra for and that was only £25 extra per year!

hth's xx

I just put them in the bin. Never heard of this before and certainly won't be bothering. Why would you need too, not as if it is body parts or the like! lol

Well before this evening i would have thought the same but i just read the habia hygiene booklet which states that waxing strips are classed as class A "high risk" clinical waste.....

It is clinincal waste but so is babys nappys and sanitary towels.

We are told its clinical waste but we are never told how to have it taken away.

It is clinincal waste but so is babys nappys and sanitary towels.

We are told its clinical waste but we are never told how to have it taken away.

Aint that the truth !!

Marlise

I was going to work from home but my local council in Fife wanted £290 for outline planning permission, which, if and when, you come to sell your house can cause probs for the buyer getting a mortgage/insurance.

Also household insurance and mortgage companies may not agree to you working from home so that needs to be looked into.

I decided to go mobile instead, much less complicated. :hug:

Latest posts

Back