For goodness sake!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oceana said:
If I were Sam I'd close the site for a week or so. Give him time off from playground duty.

Maybe the site would be appreciated more and used constructively if weren't available for a week.

Just a thought.
totally agree clare! let us step back and take stock of what is important!!!

Thats it. Let the bum rags ruin it. If people feel they have to leave, then so be it. Myself? I usually subscribe to the optimistic Tigger camp as opposed to the pessimistic Eeyore one - but thats just me. You cant make something better without trying. Lets put it all in perspective, its just a blooming web site people!

The Nail Geek said:
Thats it. Let the bum rags ruin it. If people feel they have to leave, then so be it. Myself? I usually subscribe to the optimistic Tigger camp as opposed to the pessimistic Eeyore one - but thats just me. You cant make something better without trying. Lets put it all in perspective, its just a blooming web site people!

I am with you Sam in the Tigger Camp..... T I double R rrrrrrrrrrrrrr......
I am missing half of the post's as I am shifting them around from one forum to the other lol......
and no matter what, I am a geek and I am staying, ciggy in one hand voddy in the other....and Sam its my turn on the swings now....
Ok back to my voddy and orange xxx

Oceana said:
If I were Sam I'd close the site for a week or so. Give him time off from playground duty.

Maybe the site would be appreciated more and used constructively if weren't available for a week.

Just a thought.

Sam... for cryin' out loud, CLOSE THE SITE DOWN AND GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK!!! People need to take stock and wise up.... and that's directed at every single person in here, every single person who has posted so far, and also those who havent. This message is TO YOU!

You may think that Sam is torn away from his daily grind trying to sooth the troubled waters in here when there's a bitchfest going on. That's not true.... he's already up to his eyes in code most likely just trying to keep the site ticking over, there's a mountain of work involved when everything is running properly, the whole bitchfest thing I'm sure he can do without.

I'm sure attitudes would change pretty quickly if the site was closed down for a limited period as suggested by Clare. In the meantime, if you guys want or need real and outright bitchiness, I can direct you to some other sites but I definitely would NOT recommend you joining.

Well - I truly have a bag on - I try and look through the posts every day but when you log on and there are 853 posts - from the previous day - how on earth are you meant to sift through that??? I stay on the site cos I read the main nail forum and the threads from the geeks who are world renowned - I learn through searches - which are god damn frustrating but after 2 months :)lol: I'm only joking its 1 month) I eventually find the response I am looking for and I now only post on threads that I can truly and honestly contribute to AND that I can add any value.

I have replied to a few controversial threads and felt that I have had my hands slapped - but have been told why they believe It has not been beneficial to the site - do I agree - 1 post yes 1 post no -but I took it on the chin and reviewed my thoughts and actions.

I know what some geeks are saying about the journals - but I have continually asked whether my journal is ok and hopefully have made a few peeps/geeks laugh! but now I don't know whether mine is rubbish or not! Everybody who has commented has said keep going - we can empathise with what you are saying and nobody has said you are way off the mark - what the f*** are you doing. So I prob. will keep updating the journal cos - nobody has to read it if they don't want.

Perhaps i am defending myself but at the end of it I will keep on visiting the site - cos the core peeps always give me something to think about my opinion IS important and valuable - but that doesn't mean that I will RUBBISH anyone elses opinion LOVE TO ALL YOU geeks

Deb xx

Seanny said:
You may think that Sam is torn away from his daily grind trying to sooth the troubled waters in here when there's a bitchfest going on. That's not true.... he's already up to his eyes in code most likely just trying to keep the site ticking over, there's a mountain of work involved when everything is running properly, the whole bitchfest thing I'm sure he can do without.

It's a shame more people don't become Premium Geeks so that Sam could hire some help to sort out the technical side of the site and problems that arise.

Kimmi, the problem is not with guys being Premium geeks or otherwise, I'm sure Sam is more than capable of looking after the technical side of things as long as the posters can control themselves and act responsibly

i did actually post two replies to this last night they were huge long replies that didnt work ,then i lost my internet connection :irked:
but im back on now,and there have been so many more replies that every point i had has now been discussed!!!
*the body language thing is an excellent point,we do not have that to interprate the way things are put across to us,but we do have smileys and i use them a lot to try and add a little expression to my comments.
*i have been a member since september and im on this site every second i can be but havent posted half as much as i could've due to worrying that im not adding anything constructive or what i say may be stupid,i did once actually try to offer some help on a yellowing thread,and my advice was described as ridiculous (sp?) so yes this did put me off bothering again for a while but not anymore,i am learning tonnes everyday from this site honest to god i want to be the best i can be,and will contribute more.....i know i dont know any of you personally but you all feel like my mates now:hug:
and yes if we all pull together on this one and do things correctly all should run smoothly from now on
***and do not feed the trolls***

Marian - great thread :hug: some fab posts and some not so fab nit picky posts :eek:

To me this site is a cup of coffee and a chat with a room full of workmates, some more experianced, some on my level, some newbies, some outspoken, some snappy, some shy and some mad as a box of frogs!! Some days I want to yap other days I want to sit in the corner and listen. I am a lot friendlier with some of my workmates than others, some I chat to outside of here and some I dont read their threads. But thats life - everyone is an individual with an opinion and you wont be friends with everyone you meet.

The Nail Geek is important to me but its NOT my life. We all have lives outside the world of Geek, jobs, families etc. we all have difficult situations and things on our minds. That is why I dont see the need for nit picking, we all have headaches so lets not make the Geek site another one!

The information and know how that can be gained from this site make it an invaluable point of referance for anyone in our industry ~ whether they be newbies or technicians with a lifetimes experiance. EVERYONE has the opportunity to gain from being a Geek.

I have been member for a while and have noticed a definate change in atmosphere. We need to be pro-active, think before you type. Lets stop picking holes in one another and the site, make people want to join us not scare them away.

MAKE US ALL PROUD TO BE GEEKS!!​

As it stands now: I'm not going to close the site for any period of time just gives in to the toe rags. I'm one who is determined to make the community work so I shant be skipping off.

If that doesn't work, Ill dump the site for good :D

Let's not all be so mellow dramatic. It's a website (albeit a freaking great one), not Dynasty :)

Allright, its more than just a website... it's a unique community that is the lifeblood of countless technicians around the world. However I hope you see my point.

Toodles.

We do Sam,
No one wants to loose this great site.
I for one am thinking harder before I post, I have a read back before I press submit reply, to make sure what I am saying is coming across in the manner it was intended.

Seanny said:
Kimmi, the problem is not with guys being Premium geeks or otherwise, I'm sure Sam is more than capable of looking after the technical side of things as long as the posters can control themselves and act responsibly
I disagree with you on the Premium Geek issue Seannie. Even if geeks that could afford it, donated a fiver a year. "Every little helps, said the old woman who piddled in the sea". If they really can't afford it then no prob.............all are welcome.

As far as the "poster can control themselves", thank God we don't live in a police state and I believe in freedom of speech. I think the key is to accept that we all have different opinions and when we don't agree with each other, to try to put a carefully worded arguement forward. I know it's hard as we all take things personally...............I'm the worst one for that. I've read that some geeks feel that when they do put their opinion forward, they're jumped on for it. Well, in my book that's bullying and maybe they should report it as a bad post.

pinkchicnails said:
as long as no one goes out to DELIBERATELY offend then i think everyones entitled to their own opinion and they will more then likely have reasons for that opinion.x
well heres my ten pence worth!!i think the site is great,i have only been doing nails a very short time compared to some on this site i find it informative and friendly,i my opinion is that if your gonna ask for advice then you need to listen to the reply some of these people have been doing this for years and are willing to give advice..so take it!and it is also my opinion that people tend to anylise things so much these days,lifes to short to bitch and be nasty.x

The Nail Geek said:
As it stands now: I'm not going to close the site for any period of time just gives in to the toe rags. I'm one who is determined to make the community work so I shant be skipping off.

If that doesn't work, Ill dump the site for good :D

Let's not all be so mellow dramatic. It's a website (albeit a freaking great one), not Dynasty :)

Allright, its more than just a website... it's a unique community that is the lifeblood of countless technicians around the world. However I hope you see my point.

Toodles.

Hi Sam Just a thought, why dont you lock all the forums for a week apart from the nail one and return TheNailGeek back to its former glory (for a week at least). Nails, Nails, Nails.

Take a week off, go on holiday with the her indoors :hug: and the kids.

It may make people thing about what they post about when you re-open the forums.

You have plenty of helpers that can look after it for a week........Take some time off mate.

Hermie

Herman said:
Hi Sam Just a thought, why dont you lock all the forums for a week apart from the nail one and return TheNailGeek back to its former glory (for a week at least). Nails, Nails, Nails.

It may make people thing about what they post about when you re-open the forums.

You have plenty of helpers that can look after it for a week........Take some time off mate.

Hermie
I'm sorry but this is all getting a bit childish isn't it? You'll be suggesting that we all get detention and 100 lines next.

Wow....Great thread.....
I haven't been on the site as much as I used to ...and I do really miss it...especially when I saw there was a Nails only day on Monday ( the only day I cannot geek!! Nice one Kimmi!).....I have to admit though when I do log on I sometimes feel...What did I miss?...as everyone seems to be huffing and puffing about something other than nails.....:zzz:
But I just let it sail over my head.... and shuffle through the thousands of threads I have missed to see if there is any assistance I can give or tricks of the trade I can pick up.....(thanks for that one Geeg).....

This has been a fantastic site for so many tech's.....it has been amazing over the past year or so, to see newbie geeks come on asking all the old familiar questions ..,(yea yea do a search!!)....and then see the difference in the tone of their posts as their knowledge and confidence grows... until they are answering the newbies old familiar questions !!......

I always recommend this site to student techs as a great nail community...and I always will, maybe I do let a lot of the non nail stuff and bitching go sailing over my head but Hey....maybe more of us should!!

Yes I answer in a straightforward and hopefully knowledable way and I never see the need to apologise for that....if someone takes my tone the wrong way then feel free to use the rep system or PM me....I will take all comments on board....isn't that what being part of a COMMUNITY is all about.

And I do love this little Ol community!!!

I havent read the whole thread so sorry if iam repeating what someone else has said but..........

I have been using this site for nearly 2 years now and i cannot count using all my fingers and all my toes how often this subject has come up!

Thing is unless you are sitting in front of someone face to face you cannot tell what context they are saying something in and sometimes even when you are face to face you may take it the wrong way!!!!

Alot of the geeks on here are very straight forward and straight to the point i for one apprechiate this............but there is a difference in being straight to the point and being rude.

In my opionion no-one i have come across on the board have ever been rude just honest dont ask for an opionion if you dont want an honest answer!!!

Kimmi Rocks said:
I'm sorry but this is all getting a bit childish isn't it? You'll be suggesting that we all get detention and 100 lines next.

Is'nt this the same as a "nails only Monday" except it lasts a week. and it would stop some people telling others off for posting non nail related topics.

I suggested it so Sam would have less to do for a while, though it would be short lived.

How come it has been mentioned twice about a total close down of the site and you chose not to reply, but a partial closure is seen as childish.

Your reply is why people put "I hope this does'nt offend anyone but...." and that is the whole point of this thread.

Herman said:
Is'nt this the same as a "nails only Monday" except it lasts a week. and it would stop some people telling others off for posting non nail related topics.

I suggested it so Sam would have less to do for a while, though it would be short lived.

How come it has been mentioned twice about a total close down of the site and you chose not to reply, but a partial closure is seen as childish.

Your reply is why people put "I hope this does'nt offend anyone but...." and that is the whole point of this thread.

I agree 100% Herman ... thank you for that!

Herman said:

Hermie
Sorry Herman, my mistake, I should have highlighted the bit that I was referring to (above).

It's the above that I find patronising. It smacks of 'If you don't eat all your dinner, then you don't get your dessert'. I hate the 'That'll teach them' tone to it.

If I didn't 100% respect and support Sam (and his family) for all his work AND the financial outlay he has every month for this site, then I wouldn't have become a Premium Geek. That was my only reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back