For those of you that like the science bit.... Enamel, CND Shellac & Crackle Enamel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evangelinegrace

Reaction score
I stumbled across this blog post. The author holds a PhD from the University of North Carolina in synthetic organic chemistry, so is fairly reliable. It probably isn't perfect as the exact formulations are "top secret" as I understand, but it's the most scientific explanation I've found to date.

Chemistry Blog

Enjoy!

Ive read the first paragraph and im annoyed lol it said this.

"""" It can last even longer than that, but after two or three weeks, your nails have grown out and you can start to see unpolished nail at the base of your polished nail. If you go in for a quick touch up and fill in, your shellac nail polish can I guess last indefinitely!"""""""

We dont do a quick touch up and fill in with shellac every two weeks, we remove completely and re do. Given that they got that really wrong Im not sure Id trust the rest of the blog as being correct x

Yes, but he isn't a nail technician, he's an organic chemist... He's talking about the fundamental chemistry of the product, not the application techniques. We have nail technicians for that :)

Nail techs are allowed to get the organic chemistry bit wrong because they haven't taken a degree in organic chemistry. Organic chemists are allowed to get the application bit wrong because they haven't done an manicure course and a Shellac class :p

Yes, but he isn't a nail technician, he's an organic chemist... He's talking about the fundamental chemistry of the product, not the application techniques. We have nail technicians for that :)

Nail techs are allowed to get the organic chemistry bit wrong because they haven't taken a degree in organic chemistry. Organic chemists are allowed to get the application bit wrong because they haven't done an manicure course and a Shellac class :p

Yes I can see your point but if you are writing an article/blog and publishing it online then all the info in it should be correct ...no point going to the bother of writing about it if you are going to publish incorrect information

I do agree with you completely, I also think when posting something, even as small and insignificant as a blog post (note that it is not a scientific journal), or even a forum post, that the facts are straight.

I do think it is rather insignificant though, and and easy mistake to make for someone who probably has never visited a nail salon in his life, nor has no interest in getting a CND Shellac mani. He may have contacted a local distributer and he was told that's how it's applied. His wife may have got it done and she told him the procedure. Pah, his foolish assumption that people do things correctly! I've also seen US news station broadcasts (supposedly reliable) saying that it is a "Gel Polish" and that you buff & infill it.

I've seen far greater mistakes made on here without much notice, correction or effect. Newbies are more likely to sniff around here than the chemistry blog, that's for sure.

Anyway, the post is about the chemistry of the product, not the application technique. I suggest anybody who wants to know how to apply CND Shellac takes a CND Shellac Class.

Latest posts

Back