For those who work from home (Well... sort of, lol)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseblanc

Reaction score
I have a question. I'm running my salon out of my home - but I'm looking into building this (see pic) on my property and using it as my salon:

personnaliser103_Gr.jpg

My question is - does anyone else have anything like this? If so, how did you get the electrical hooked up? I don't want to have to have a whole new hydro system installed in the salon. I would rather just run an underground conduit from my existing breaker box which is in my garage (and would only be about 8 feet from where I'm installing the salon on my property). I'll be contacting my electrician in the spring - but I'm just curious as to how anyone else with this is set up electrically.

I have a question. I'm running my salon out of my home - but I'm looking into building this (see pic) on my property and using it as my salon:

personnaliser103_Gr.jpg

My question is - does anyone else have anything like this? If so, how did you get the electrical hooked up? I don't want to have to have a whole new hydro system installed in the salon. I would rather just run an underground conduit from my existing breaker box which is in my garage (and would only be about 8 feet from where I'm installing the salon on my property). I'll be contacting my electrician in the spring - but I'm just curious as to how anyone else with this is set up electrically.

Hi

Not sure how you'd sort all that out - but hey - that looks the biz! Wish i could get one on my postage stamp of a garden!:hug:

My husband tells me you take a 4mm twin and earth cable from a 32 amp breaker in you main fuse board into a 4 way fuse board into the salon which will give loads of sockets plus lighting and extractor fan too
its a good days work and should be less than £500 depending on who supplies the materials
it looks mega sexy .... I am sooo jelous
good luck x

I have my salon in a garden building and having brought my clients from "proper" salon when it closed down, they all love it. All new clients think it is lovely. The only thing I would say is make sure it is insulated and that you have a good heater as it can be a bit chilly in the winter. I have to go in a couple of hours before to make sure it warm enough.

I love it though as it means a 30 second walk to work! Also make sure you have good pathway for H&S purposes etc. As long as you will cause inconvenience to your neighbours with client parking you shouldn't have a problem with the council planning department. But give them a call as it varies from area to area.

I've got some pictures on my profile page if you want to see it.

My electrical supply is via 6mm armoured, but that's because it's what my builder hubby had in the garage at the time. Just checked with though and he said what is mentioned above is more than adequate.

Looks cool!

Three questions, though:
- How would one wash their hands if you run only electricity there.
- What happens if a client has to go to the "little girl's room" (especially in winter months...)
- You might have to consider bars on windows/doors "just in case" anyone realizes it's a place of business and tries to steal from you.

I had toyed with this idea myself, and decided instead to work from my upstairs living room because of the above reasons.
We are planning on a bigger home in the future where I will convert the garage into my salon OR buy a home that already has a "mother-in-law" built into the basement with a seperate door.

hth's
:hug:

Re running water and wc. My building was originally used as a pump house for our pond and storage, so water wasn't a problem when we changed its use and my forward thinking hubbie put a loo in at the time of building as it would be useful for the kids and guests in the garden. So I do have both and would not be able to do without either the hot water or the loo.

Also think about the external lighting. We had to put in a few lights down my side entrance so they could see to get to me in the dark.

Looks cool!

Three questions, though:
- How would one wash their hands if you run only electricity there.
- What happens if a client has to go to the "little girl's room" (especially in winter months...)
- You might have to consider bars on windows/doors "just in case" anyone realizes it's a place of business and tries to steal from you.

I had toyed with this idea myself, and decided instead to work from my upstairs living room because of the above reasons.
We are planning on a bigger home in the future where I will convert the garage into my salon OR buy a home that already has a "mother-in-law" built into the basement with a seperate door.

hth's
:hug:

Hunter... I live in Huntingdon remember? The LAST thing I'm worried about is someone breaking in, lol. But overall - to answer your questions - to wash their hands I will be installing a portable sink (which provides both hot and cold water) and for the little girls room - bah - they can use the one in my house, it's only 8 feet away lol - and I know most of my clients pretty well - not worried about them stealing from me.

I talked to my hubby about converting the garage and I got a dirty look, lol - thats "his domain" and I'm not allowed to touch it lmao!! Which is fine - because I like the look of this better. LOL!

Ahhh right, Huntingdon....
Not likely that a rogue Cow will rob ya :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Now see...I would make HIM get the shed, and convert the garage LOL
That way, if he's making a racket, you don't hear it
AND if you client has to pee, they don't have to trudge through the snow with no jacket on because their nails are wet LOL

It could be bigger, roomier, WARMER (Quebec winters... LOL), closer to the toilet, and less expense too to convert. :green:(since hubby wouldn't need decor or heat or water in the shed LOL)

BUT I do love the look of the tiny lil house:wink2:

Ahhh right, Huntingdon....
Not likely that a rogue Cow will rob ya :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Now see...I would make HIM get the shed, and convert the garage LOL
That way, if he's making a racket, you don't hear it
AND if you client has to pee, they don't have to trudge through the snow with no jacket on because their nails are wet LOL

It could be bigger, roomier, WARMER (Quebec winters... LOL), closer to the toilet, and less expense too to convert. :green:(since hubby wouldn't need decor or heat or water in the shed LOL)

BUT I do love the look of the tiny lil house:wink2:

Don't even get me started Vic, lol - He has the garage AND he's installing a shed (JUST NOT ENOUGH ROOM! He tells me). Him and I have had that discussion time and time again and the end result is always the same "We agreed when we bought the house that you can have the house and I get my garage" - In other words.. I have to maintain the house (cook, clean, etc) and he can make whatever mess he wants in the garage because it's HIS... (even though I STILL clean the garage too because I hate the mess he tends to leave behind after he's done a project, lol). Oh no - he's a stubborn stubborn man and I will never win with him, lol. Hell if he loves his garage so much - I should make him sleep in it!!! LMAO!

As for the peeing part - I rarely have a client that needs to go, and I could always just say "if you need to use the bathroom, do it now before we start" lol... That way I get what I want, clients get what they want, and my hubby gets what he wants, and we're all happy, lol.

personnaliser103_Gr.jpg

Wow it just looks amazing, I am trying to talk my hubby into building something like this for me. I know that Bev Rose on here has just had one built and has pics in her profile too. Just going to check that that is the right spelling of her username that I have given you. :)

It is just checked. :green:

I have my salon in a garden building and having brought my clients from "proper" salon when it closed down, they all love it. All new clients think it is lovely. The only thing I would say is make sure it is insulated and that you have a good heater as it can be a bit chilly in the winter. I have to go in a couple of hours before to make sure it warm enough.

I love it though as it means a 30 second walk to work! Also make sure you have good pathway for H&S purposes etc. As long as you will cause inconvenience to your neighbours with client parking you shouldn't have a problem with the council planning department. But give them a call as it varies from area to area.

I've got some pictures on my profile page if you want to see it.

My electrical supply is via 6mm armoured, but that's because it's what my builder hubby had in the garage at the time. Just checked with though and he said what is mentioned above is more than adequate.

Hi, your salon is great is that a summer house? and is it attatched to your house?
Nicky:o

Hi, your salon is great is that a summer house? and is it attatched to your house?
Nicky:o

Yes sort of, my husband built it from scratch (he's a builder) and no it is about 6 ft away from the nearest wall. I have a side entrance with intercom linked to the salon so clients come to the gate, buzz and then I let them through into the side alley and my salon is at the end of that. It works really well as now the kids are 13 and 11 I can leave them in the house and work whenever I need to and I'm on hand if they need me.

My only niggle is that if I had known that it would be my salon eventually I would have had it a bit bigger as I have to do a whole metamorphasis thing when I need to change from nails to holistics and the desk has to move into the set back bit so I can get my couch out. It definitely makes it cosy and I have to make sure I allow plenty of changeover time if have nails then holistics appt. Sometimes my clients help me with the changeover if their using both of my services, but they don't mind.

Yes sort of, my husband built it from scratch (he's a builder) and no it is about 6 ft away from the nearest wall. I have a side entrance with intercom linked to the salon so clients come to the gate, buzz and then I let them through into the side alley and my salon is at the end of that.

Awesome salon Crystal !! Now that hunter has got me thinking... lol - what do you do when you have clients that need to use the bathroom?

On my pics you can see a door inside the salon that's my loo. As said earlier when he originally built it he put a loo in so that the kids could go in there after being in the paddling pool etc without drenching the carpets indoors etc. I have to say at the time he was a laughing stock amongst our mates for going to the nth degree, but now it is such a bonus. If you are running water and soil to your building then a loo is not much more to put in. The only problem with it is that the heater heats the salon but not the loo particularly and this time of year you have to hover or get a very cold bum! lol

We affectionately call my little salon "the shedlon" as when it was being converted everyone kept saying i should rename my self. But in the end I decided to stay as Crystaltips

Yep, I've just had a log cabin built in the garden.
It went up during all the rain we had in December, and now it's snow - please God, can you bring us some dry weather!!

I've got the electrics in and a laminate floor down now, my Hubby is putting up the blinds to morrow.

As far as the electrics go - mine were done with armoured cable, buried around the side of the house & the supply comes from my main supply in the house via a separate consumer unit, there's also a consumer unit in the cabin.
I have had 3 double sockets installed and 2 strip lights.

I have not running water and will be using the old fashioned method of porcelain bowl & jug.
As for the loo - my house is steps away & I'll take them in & out.

In the UK - if you have plumbing & a loo installed you need planning permission.

I'm hoping to be in sometime next week - just got to ensure the pathway is safe so nobody can trip or slip etc.

It's sooo cute, i love it, I WANT ONE :( lol

Yep, I've just had a log cabin built in the garden.
It went up during all the rain we had in December, and now it's snow - please God, can you bring us some dry weather!!

I've got the electrics in and a laminate floor down now, my Hubby is putting up the blinds to morrow.

As far as the electrics go - mine were done with armoured cable, buried around the side of the house & the supply comes from my main supply in the house via a separate consumer unit, there's also a consumer unit in the cabin.
I have had 3 double sockets installed and 2 strip lights.

I have not running water and will be using the old fashioned method of porcelain bowl & jug.
As for the loo - my house is steps away & I'll take them in & out.

In the UK - if you have plumbing & a loo installed you need planning permission.

I'm hoping to be in sometime next week - just got to ensure the pathway is safe so nobody can trip or slip etc.

Thank God!!
I've been sat here wracking my brain for an hour thinking who had one!! x

Hi. Fab picture!!
I changed the use of our summer house into my work place last year. I did feel at first that new clients may feel that you weren't very "professional" working from home. However, once they come in and see that it is they love it. They love the fact that no-one is looking at them through the window!!
I do have to work harder at advertising and try to be more selective with clients (I go to Wedding Fayres so potential clients can see that I am proffesional) as I'm still quite concious that you are inviting strangers into your home area. Part of me would still like my own salon with a footfall going past, but then the downside is that I wouldnt' be able to do housey things between clients!! I will post my salon pics tomorrow if anyone would like to see them! I too use the pitcher and flask method for water.

Maybe that would be a good thread - Are you viewed as professional with a Home salon? All comments welcome.

I work from a log cabin, and have done for about 3 years now! Best thing i ever did! My business has steadily built up and through word of mouth. It has electricity, but i wasnt allowed running water as the min I did that our local authority would charge me rates and council tax as they would count it as a "dwelling". I also would have had to apply for planning etc. I just pop up to my house to get water, and clients use my loo if they need to! Its not a perfect situation, but i can honestly say it hasnt been a big issue at all. There are a couple of pics of the inside on my profile if you fancy a look xx

Latest posts

Back