Forced to consider leaving the wedding industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in Bristol I was doing a 50/60 weddings a year and had pre books upto a year in advance, I'm just finding the market in the area of Hampshire I've lived in for 5 Years is not geared towards high end make up artists or hairstylists.

I do offer a high end service and offer high end products

If you read through my original post you will see all my eggs are not in my basket as I'm a hairstylist too.

I do have a company name but I can't risk plastering over Facebook invade it gets back me. I might look in to PPC for Google etc.

hey
I know you said you haven't found wedding fairs very useful but try looking for really high end ones for example I live in Edinburgh and they do a huge wedding fair at the corn exchange every year it's an annual fair and very successful so look for ones like that that are well established they have vendors travelling from all over and have people travel from all over Scotland to go. Speak to bridal shops about doing photo shoots with them and getting photos done then when they show the photos of the dresses you get a mention for hair and make up. If you can't have an online presence why not hold an 'open day' rent a hall have models walking around with hair and make up done by you in white dresses not necessarily wedding dresses just to give an idea of different looks you can create offer mini hair ups and taster make up you could even ask bridal shops and arrange a sort of fashion show or get someone in that sells tiaras etc take bookings on the day or work with a bridal shop to do a fashion show let people see the full look. Do you take a non refundable booking fee while taking a booking? People are less likely to cancel if they've already parted with some money. Also do you travel or it just your area you do? It would be a shame to have to give up when it sounds like you're really good if you've been published. Look into local bridal magazines aswell see if you can get an interview/ pictures into it/ an advert or something. I suppose the other thing you can do is speak to hotels about mentioning you if they have a client looking do it to a hotel that you've had a few brides use before. Speak to a wedding blogger about doing an interview loads of people go through tonnes of blogs for information on planning weddings if that's not too much on the Internet for you. Or speak to the editor of a magazine/ paper offer them a treatment in return for a review. I think you will have to work twice as hard as some other people if you can't have an online precence as so many people like to see websites/ Facebook for portfolios and reviews. Good luck xx

hey
I know you said you haven't found wedding fairs very useful but try looking for really high end ones for example I live in Edinburgh and they do a huge wedding fair at the corn exchange every year it's an annual fair and very successful so look for ones like that that are well established they have vendors travelling from all over and have people travel from all over Scotland to go. Speak to bridal shops about doing photo shoots with them and getting photos done then when they show the photos of the dresses you get a mention for hair and make up. If you can't have an online presence why not hold an 'open day' rent a hall have models walking around with hair and make up done by you in white dresses not necessarily wedding dresses just to give an idea of different looks you can create offer mini hair ups and taster make up you could even ask bridal shops and arrange a sort of fashion show or get someone in that sells tiaras etc take bookings on the day or work with a bridal shop to do a fashion show let people see the full look. Do you take a non refundable booking fee while taking a booking? People are less likely to cancel if they've already parted with some money. Also do you travel or it just your area you do? It would be a shame to have to give up when it sounds like you're really good if you've been published. Look into local bridal magazines aswell see if you can get an interview/ pictures into it/ an advert or something. I suppose the other thing you can do is speak to hotels about mentioning you if they have a client looking do it to a hotel that you've had a few brides use before. Speak to a wedding blogger about doing an interview loads of people go through tonnes of blogs for information on planning weddings if that's not too much on the Internet for you. Or speak to the editor of a magazine/ paper offer them a treatment in return for a review. I think you will have to work twice as hard as some other people if you can't have an online precence as so many people like to see websites/ Facebook for portfolios and reviews. Good luck xx[/QUOTE

Hi Nicky

I am a very experienced marketing professional too asand I have explored all avenues on this.

I also do camouflage makeup and casualty FX too.

To hold an open day and have models parading around with hair and makeup done by myself will cost money and i don't have it and then there is the cost of hall etc on top and insurance.

My new full time job is very full on and I don't have the time to organise one.

People who want taster makeup and hair again want to pay something for nothing.

I do take non refundable deposits.

There are no real local bridal magazines bear me that are willing to do editorial unless I pay silly rates for an advert and as the read ships are very low it's a waste of money.

I don't want to get into the habit of doing free makeup and hair for wedding shops as this commercial work for their business too and they have more of chance of someone asking which dress is that do you stock it in my size, than who did the hair and makeup.

This another reason why pro stylists are not being paid for their work as ppl suggest that they work for free for commercial shoots.

So really as a pro I should be paid.

I don't know if this is an option or allowed, but what about taking payment in full before the service has taken place? Or taking the deposit , then they have to make payment in stages or pay in full no later than 6 weeks before the wedding?

I'm not married but I assume that's how it works with venues and catering etc. That you pay 8 weeks or something in advance? That way you can say it's an industry standard, not sure if you could do that but it would put off the time wasters If there unsure in the beginning?

I know some people that operate this system with hair extensions in my area, they have to pay in full before they even receive the service - puts off anyone who just goes for a colour match then does a online DIY buy them self!

I think we just all need to stick together [emoji123] xxx

Already do all of those things

The main problem I'm having is that they are booking the trial and confirm a date , saying they are going to the deposit and then I don't hear from them.

Then when they dain to get back to me they say they've found someone cheaper, some never get back to me.

Sometimes I do feel these are not ligitmate bookings and are from competitors.

My rates are in my website and the quality of my work is excellent. When I send out quotes I give a brief synopsis of my career and where I've been published.

I had one lady wanting camouflage makeup and wedding makeup for bad scaring, when I told there may be an additional charge for the camouflage application depending on the size of area needing covering due to the time and product etc, I received an abusive email stating I was trying to rip her off .

I even ask for a picture to see the area I need to cover so I could see if an extra charge would apply, see never sent it only the absolve email

Latest posts

Back