Foresters Children Fundraising - Brochure Advertising

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

I had a phone call from...well what I caught...from Foresters Children Fundraising, which were asking me if I was interested in appearing in a small advert inside there glossy brochure for a fee of £99.

This covered a 1 year period and would apparently be distributed around ST17 area (my lcoal area) in ALL public places.

It sounded great! No pressure from the lady either. I said I was interested but didn't want to commit to anything over the phone until I had seen an information pack explaining everything in black and white, so I could make a proper decision.

Well within about 15 minutes of putting the phone down, the phone rang again. Same company but different department, the previous caller had explained I would receive another call later that day to confirm my interest. The lady on the phone said "Hello Mrs Moyle, just ringing to confirm you wish to go ahead and be featured in the brochure", which I replied "Well actually I haven't confirmed anything I have been told I am going to receive an information pack in the post explaining everything before I can make my final descision". She very quickly said "Ok Mrs Moyle sorry about this misunderstanding, thank you good bye".

I told my husband about it, and he said it all sounds very well and good but what is this magazine? Because if he hasn't heard of it, and no one else has it can't be that good! So I have done my own investigating.......... and to my horror its all a money making scam! I googled "Foresters Children Fundraising + advertising brochure" and a whole load of warnings came up. Im shocked, but also pleased I didn't commit to anything.

Has anyone else come across this or heard about this?

Just wanted to share this with every1 really, so no one else makes the mistake I neely did!

I had this a year ago. I was suspicious and so i too googled it and came up with all sorts. The woman who called me told me on one call it was for blind children and the next call that it was for children with cancer. I told her what I thought of her and their scam. Disgusting!

I had this a year ago. I was suspicious and so i too googled it and came up with all sorts. The woman who called me told me on one call it was for blind children and the next call that it was for children with cancer. I told her what I thought of her and their scam. Disgusting!

Hi there

She told me if was for children with Cancer.

I have learnt a valuable lession this week since launching my business. There are the scam businesses or partential proper business which try and get your money by bully you down the phone, trying that sale, constanting ringing you trying to change your mind. Then there is the opposite side of things, like this current scam I have just brought up where by the callers are polite, chatty, no pressure and simply nice!

Shocking really x

I'm a mug. I paid more than £99.00. Did it twice, they did send out a brouchure of the magazine and advert, thought it was general, the man was so nice on the fone.

Thought it would out to school's. Never got a single call from it. thought I was helping out local children.

I'm a mug. I paid more than £99.00. Did it twice, they did send out a brouchure of the magazine and advert, thought it was general, the man was so nice on the fone.

Thought it would out to school's. Never got a single call from it. thought I was helping out local children.

Your not a mug, it can happen to any1! You have to be seriosuly aware and these callers can take you by suprise.

My moto from now on is if Iwant something from someone, I will get incontact with them...not the otherway round x

They do it saying they are the Fire Service, Police Service and several charities. To be honest, even if they were what they say they were it would be hardly worthwhile advertising in a brochure/booklet with such a small readership. :wink2:

I had a call today from a lady about sponsoring children at a local school and which did I want the books to go to, they said they had spoken to me a couple of months ago, and I told them to ring me later in the year!!! I said sorry don't remember speaking to your company, she's was going on about bronze, silver and gold sponsor packages ranging from £99.

I just hung up had no idea what she was on about! It's so wrong that they play on children's illnesses!

They do it saying they are the Fire Service, Police Service and several charities. To be honest, even if they were what they say they were it would be hardly worthwhile advertising in a brochure/booklet with such a small readership. :wink2:

I know I know! But to be fair, I was interested as my target market needs to be local and it covered exactly my area. So for me that was a good thing as Im mobile, however If I owned a salon etc it might have been a different storey!

Your not a mug, it can happen to any1! You have to be seriosuly aware and these callers can take you by suprise.

My moto from now on is if Iwant something from someone, I will get incontact with them...not the otherway round x

Deffo taking your moto lol.

The company still ring me, you wait til next time that nice man rings I'm going to ask some question's.

I have the police ring about this booklet thingy it was a strange call told them to ring back, that week there was something in the local paper about it being a scam!

Just stick to my leaflet drop's they work and saves the hundreds of pounds on ad's and scam's.

Thank you for bring this up, saves me making the mistake again god know's how many times

Hi geeks

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

I had a phone call from...well what I caught...from Foresters Children Fundraising, which were asking me if I was interested in appearing in a small advert inside there glossy brochure for a fee of £99.

This covered a 1 year period and would apparently be distributed around ST17 area (my lcoal area) in ALL public places.

It sounded great! No pressure from the lady either. I said I was interested but didn't want to commit to anything over the phone until I had seen an information pack explaining everything in black and white, so I could make a proper decision.

Well within about 15 minutes of putting the phone down, the phone rang again. Same company but different department, the previous caller had explained I would receive another call later that day to confirm my interest. The lady on the phone said "Hello Mrs Moyle, just ringing to confirm you wish to go ahead and be featured in the brochure", which I replied "Well actually I haven't confirmed anything I have been told I am going to receive an information pack in the post explaining everything before I can make my final descision". She very quickly said "Ok Mrs Moyle sorry about this misunderstanding, thank you good bye".

I told my husband about it, and he said it all sounds very well and good but what is this magazine? Because if he hasn't heard of it, and no one else has it can't be that good! So I have done my own investigating.......... and to my horror its all a money making scam! I googled "Foresters Children Fundraising + advertising brochure" and a whole load of warnings came up. Im shocked, but also pleased I didn't commit to anything.

Has anyone else come across this or heard about this?

Just wanted to share this with every1 really, so no one else makes the mistake I neely did!

yep definitely a scam, I think I even know the number they called you from
01695580548, but then again if they are such an organized scam the number may be spoofed also. Can't believe there are people like that out there, I think it's worst than the Grandma scam

This will be the first of many such calls you will get. Dr's, takeaways, kids football teams, nhs staff calendar, oh I've ha them all.

One question always messes up their sales attempts. Sounds great ... Can you drop me an example in the post please.

Yet to receive a single example product.

They also seem to use sales guy on the road, again use same tactic of requesting a sample first.

I had this earlier this year. A chap rang claiming to work for a company that does brochures for a child abuse charity and would I like space for an advert. I do a lot of charity work and I'd never heard of them so asked them to send me a sample brochure. The guy asked me if I had children and I replied yes, to which he asked me how I would feel if they every got abused!!!! OMG. I put the phone down on him in a rage.

This will be the first of many such calls you will get. Dr's, takeaways, kids football teams, nhs staff calendar, oh I've ha them all.

One question always messes up their sales attempts. Sounds great ... Can you drop me an example in the post please.

Yet to receive a single example product.

They also seem to use sales guy on the road, again use same tactic of requesting a sample first.

Great advice, i shall try that next time lol

I got this call this morning! I never advertise in such publications anyway so said no thanks.

good idea about pop one in the post.! ill try that next time.

tigi

I'm so glad this was posted as this morning i took a call from some company who claimed to help children with cancer and wanted to know if i was interested in advertising with them but thanks to this post i could see where she was going with the phone call and took great pleasure in telling her i wasn't interested.

I've only been set up for a month but the amount of junk post and sales calls is unbelievable.

I've only been set up for a month but the amount of junk post and sales calls is unbelievable.

I have a mobile number for my business and have had to resort to vetting all my calls with voicemail. My message actually says,

You are through to the voicemail of Touch Beauty, due to a very high volume of unwanted sales calls we are asking all callers to leave a message and we'll return your call as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

So annoying! I buzz thinking it's a new client and it's someone that doesn't even know me trying to act like my best pal... Last one, ring ring, hello Touch Beauty, hello is that Touch Beauty... Deep breath, yes how can I help? Hello, how are you doing today? Fine thanks, you? Yes great, silence, and you are? Blah blah blah limited. No thank you, but you don't know how much money I could save you, it's ok my bank balance is not your concern Click

I think a lot of these scam companies work on the "guilt factor" - people would find it much harder saying no to something that purports to support a charity than they would otherwise. Like those horrific comments from that bloke who was supposedly advertising to raise money for a child abuse charity!

Perhaps a suitable line of defence would be "Actually, I prefer to donate to charity directly, because then I know that all of my money is going to the good cause, rather than bolstering some marketing company's profits"...

Latest posts

Back