Form Placement Guide

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lana

Reaction score
Back by popular demand.I hope it will stay here for geeks who struggle with Form placement.

FORM PLACEMENT GUIDELINES

The grooves or growth channels of the nail plate
are the guide lines for placing the form, not the free edge
or the hyponychium.See figure 1. This is the most
IMG_0971.jpg

important aspect of form placement. If you cannot
sculpt your product out onto the form without
creating an edge where the form meets the line of
the growth channel, the supports of your sculpted nail will not provide the structural
strength needed for your work to stand up in your client’s real life routines.

The nail form needs to follow the flow of the natural growth pattern of the natural nail you
are sculpting the extension for. Looking at the form placement from the side view evaluate
if the tip of the form is too far up or down. To correct the placement, simply move the
arms of the form in the direction of the correction. If the tip of the form points up, move
the arms up. If the tip points down, move the arms down. See Form Corrections

The form needs to sit parallel and even with the growth channels. You will use the lines of
the growth channels to judge the width of your sculpted extension, not the lines on the nail
forms. Refer to figure 1. When you depend on the lines of the form instead of the lines of
the natural nail , the possibility of a crooked nail application increases.

To Place Your Form

1. Taking one form at a time from the roll, hold the form with one or two handgrip.
2. Create a curve in the form that matches that of the natural nail plate or the curve
you wish to create. When a natural free edge exists use it to place the form under
while lining the arms up in a parallel position with the growth channels.
3. When there is no free edge to guide your placement, imagine where the
hyponychium track would be to place the oval edge and concentrate your focus on
lining up the arms in a parallel position with a growth channels, it is expected to
have skin of the fingertip showing between the form and the growth channel, you
will use the skin to build the support of the sculpted nail onto.
4. With a firm but gentle grip center the oval edge and lay the arms in the parallel
position to accommodate the growth channels. Gently move the arms up or down
to establish the curve of the sculpted extension. Press the arms of the form to the
sides of the finger for a snug fit.
5. Check the fit by looking ndown the barrel to the form and fingernail.If you can
look into the growth channels all the way to the cuticle, the form is well placed. If
you see the form above the growth channel , you will have a “step” when you
remove the form.
6. When you are satisfied with the position of the nail form, finish your placement
procedure by pinching the end tabs securely together.

CUSTOMIZING NAIL FORMS

On occasion you will find that a form does not fit and some adjustments are required.
The following are examples of potential challenges and their solutions.

Extreme Natural “C” Curve. It can be very challenging task to
fit a form to the growth channels of a client who has a strong ”C”
curve. The solution is to make the necessary adjustment
by squaring the curved contact point of the form as illustrated in Figure 2.

IMG_0968.jpg

Wide Nail. Generaly the thumb. When you are dealing with an
extremely large nail or a “hammer thumb”, you will find that the
nail form will not fit under the free edge and you will have
difficulties balancing the form into the growth channels.The
solution is to widen the curved contact point of the form by cutting
the form to a suitable depth as illustrated in Figure 3.
IMG_0969.jpg

Extended Hyponychium Growth. When you encounter a client who
finds the forms very uncomfortable and pinching , they most likely
have hyponychium overgrowth. The solution is to create a proper
fit and reduce the stress causing pressure by cutting in a deeper
curved indentation at the contact point of the form as illustrated
In Figure 4.
IMG_0970.jpg

FORM CORRECTIONS

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

Excellent, thank you Lana :hug:

That is fantastic:hug:

Thanks you so much for taking the time to post thisxxxxxx:hug:

Brilliant , very useful xx

Brilliant -thank you

well done ! good informative tutorial:hug:

amb x

Great information - thanks!

So I wasn't going crazy:lol:

Great tutorial but I still can't fit a form!

I have tried and tried but every time I end up with a gap between the form and the free edge.The oval curve of the form seems to get stick on the huponychium and I can't move it. The happens when I stick the sides down.

Just tried it on a finger that is already extended and it's fits fine, just on short natural nails that I can't do it!

great tutorials thanks xxxx

Thanks Lana :hug:

Great tutorial but I still can't fit a form!

I have tried and tried but every time I end up with a gap between the form and the free edge.The oval curve of the form seems to get stick on the huponychium and I can't move it. The happens when I stick the sides down.

Just tried it on a finger that is already extended and it's fits fine, just on short natural nails that I can't do it!
Do you stick the circle bit on the underside?
Put it just above the arch, sticky to sticky - that way it wont be able to stick the hyponichium And, it also makes the structure of the form more stable.
Hope that made sense! :lol:

Thanks Lana... I'm almost to the point were I'm only doing sculpts even on myself. I need to print this out for my students. You rock!!!

Put it just above the arch, sticky to sticky - that way it wont be able to stick the hyponichium And, it also makes the structure of the form more stable.

I have this problem sometimes too but I don't quite understand where you're sticking the oval. Could you give it another go? I'm too thick! Thanks!!!:confused:

I have this problem sometimes too but I don't quite understand where you're sticking the oval. Could you give it another go? I'm too thick! Thanks!!!:confused:
Lol - I will try to explain better :lol:

Remove the oval
Place it on the underside of the form... sticky side to sticky side....
- above the arch that fits under the free edge
- covering any sticky area that might normally stick to the skin under the free edge.

Thanks Gelly, I got shown how to do this yesterday over the internet and it's made a huge difference!

:idea: Now I've got it Gelly - thanks. Sometimes I get a little sort of bend in my sculpt, esp. by the corner of free edge, when I'm trying to get the curve right - I would think the oval would help add some support and prevent that little problem too - Thanks!

excellent tutorial.clear pictures and really easy to understand.
thanks so much for sharing.im sure you have helped alot of geeks.xx

This is soooo what i was looking for, What would we do without these tutorials?

Just what I have been looking for, for me reading instructions and seeing a few diagrams often works better than viewing a video. Hopefully i will finally get my head around sculpting!! Thanks x

Latest posts

Back