Forms & tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieC1983

Reaction score
I am training this spring / summer and have been watching lots of videos. Trying my best to stick with the professional ones so I don’t pick up any bad habits from untrained people.

With the builder gel, why is there forms to build the shape yourself and then tips instead. Do they essentially do the same thing but it’s personal preference as to which you prefer to use?
Which is best?

thank you.

Ultimately it's personal choice but one method can be more beneficial than the other in certain circumstances.

I trained with tips then did further training with forms to master 'sculpting' as it's called. Many years ago only very experienced techs sculpted as it was seen as a very skilled method.

Personally tips will always be my favourite, I find blending easy so perhaps that makes me lean towards them. I find I get a better lower arch and shape. With forms any slight misplacement throws the entire shape out that no amount of filing can resolve. However forms are great for clients with challenging natural nails, because you can cut the form to fit perfectly. Forms are great for sculpting in broken free edges, snapped corners, etc. for when you don't necessarily want to remove the whole nail.

Both have their pros and cons, as a tech you'll find your preference and ultimately what is right for that client and their particular need at that appointment.

Ahh ok thank you very much.

I have used both and prefer forms. With forms you get to place the nail tip at the downward angle you want, you can use slight pressure at the sides of the free edge to make the C curve better and as said already great to shape exactly to the nail for clients with less than perfect natural nails. I have never got on with tips and glue.

Latest posts

Back