Foundation Degree

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Garfield*

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in wrong forum.....Have been looking into doing a foundation degree in Beauty Therapy & Health studies, and just wondered if any of you had done it/knew anything about it such as entry requirements/ career prospects after graduating etc as cant find much info on the net, and my local college are not very informative. I think it's fairly new??:confused:

When you say that you have been looking into doing a foundation degree in beauty do you mean a NVQ or a VTCT course?

Also which college are you thinking of going to? If you wanting to do the NVQ have you thought about doing the course at a adult education centre?

:hug:

No hun, its FE training, its a higher level qualification than an NVQ etc, I have seen that some colleges/universitys offer them, but I cant get hold of anyone at my local college that can tell me if they offer it there,:rolleyes: and I also wanted to know what the entry requiremnts etc are. I already have NVQ2 and eventually I want to get into the management/training side of things within a large company.
A foundation degree covers all the usual beauty procedures but is also more geared towards the business side of things, such as accounts, merchandising, advertising/promotions etc and also the science side of things. Once you have completed a foundation degree you can go on to do an honors or masters degree.Thanks for your reply anyways, I have an appointment with a careers advisor fri morn so I hope they can tell me more.:)

Hi, I have just had a look at the doncaster college website to see if these offer it but it looks like they dont, it looks like they are not even offering any full level2 beauty this year just the indivdual units.
If this college is your local one I do know that they work along side hull uni so could give them a ring and find out if they are offering what you are looking for.

:hug:

Yea, rang them yesterday...they are useless, couldnt tell me anything about this course, or the NVQ 3 in BT either, but its the usual call centre thing...none of the staff know much about anything! I will go to this appt Fri at the college and hopefully they can tell me if they are doing it, or if there is another college in S yorks that is doing it. I have looked on the UCAS site, and as far as I can tell the Fda in Beauty Therapy is a new one they have only recently begun to offer, so maybe thats why nobody seems to know much about it!:confused:

I am starting a 2 year foundation degree in Health, Fitness and Holistics Management via the University of Wales, Powys college (landrindod wells).... I have done my level 3 Holsitic Therapy Diploma so this gains me entry into this course easily, also being a mature student, yes its geared towards body treatments which i dont have to do cause i have done them already which enables me to take up some other modules like some beauty ones and its geared towards the business side of things so that eventually you could find placement as a manager of a spa etc...... HTH

Thanks for your reply hun, so it looks like I need to do my level 3 first then?....this is what I wanted to know really but I'm just getting nowhere with my local colleges, nobody does it!!! It sounds like a really interesting course!:) Off to find out abpout the level 3 Beauty now then!:hug:

Garfield, do let me know about what foundation degrees you can find out about! I am in the same position, and after doing all my A levels and my NVQ 2 I'd like to further my education and career prospects. The only thing I could find is a Foundation degree in Complementary Therapies through Salford University.

Just to let you know I have just been offered a confirmed place on the same course as you are interested in and have only got 3 vtct qualifications in nails but no experience in beauty therapy. You apply via ucas and they then post your details to the college for them to decide on offering a confirmed place or not. I am having to do the level 2 in beauty therapy in my first year and level 3 in my second as add ons.
Hope this helps and gives you the info you need to apply.
Alli:green:

I am about to start the Complementary Therapy Degree in September. It is Batchelor Of Science. For 3 years. Is that what you are looking for??

Although you will need level 3 in Holistic Therapy to do this, or advanced levels in either reflexology or aromatherapy.

Hth. :hug::hug:

hi sharron i hope you find the course you are looking for

i wish you all the best

Hiya!

I came across this info last night whilst whiling away my time surfing! Bradford do a foundation degree, but it does look like you need level 3 first. Anyway, they may be easier to talk to than your local college and you are both in Yorkshire!

Bradford College University Centre Foundation Degrees

Hope this helps - good luck!

Thanks for all your replys everyone, :hug:

I still have not found a college near enough to me to be able to do the course I want to do, the nearest I have found is Grimsby which is still a fair old treck when you dont drive! My local college have said that they are hoping to offer the foundation degree next year, so I think the best thing for me to do this year is the level 3 diploma in holistic therapies, as the level 3 beauty therapy is a bit of a waste for me as I dont offer, and dont intend to offer most of the treatments included in the sylabus!:lol:

For those of you lucky to have a FE centre near you offering the foundation degrees in beauty & related therapies I wish you the best of luck, I think its a really positive step forward for the beauty industry allowing therapists to go into higher education in their chosen field.:hug:

Hello there!

When I was at college in Swindon, some of the girls were talking about the fondation degree and at the time the nearest place to the swindon girls was Bath Uni, either that or London. At that time the careers advisor said we needed both our NVQ2 & 3 or (similar) to go for this course.
The criteria may have changed now so its prob a good thing that you are seeing your own beauty careers advisor. please let us know, interesting to find out the criteria needed.
best of luck mate:hug:

I had a chat with the lovely people at Salford University yesterday, and although I only studied level 2 beauty therapy, I have five A Levels in 'academic' subjects, so that's been enough to get me in :) can't wait!

Latest posts

Back