Fraudulent Scare Tactics to Attract clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I received an email yesterday.

Here's an excerpt from it, I edited to remove the name of the business as I don't want to cause a ruckus:

Victoria, hi there.
I had a question. Is it safe to get "name removed" gel nails during pregnancy?
I was informed by my tech that acrylic nails can be harmful but the gel nails (name removed) at their salon are not harmful to mother or baby.
If gel nails are ok, what questions can I ask to make sure that I am getting the right "name removed" nail gel? Should I tell them that I am pregnant and concerned?
Thanks for your help and expertise.

Of course, I straightened her out and explained that UV Gel & "Acrylic" are both acrylic, and explained about MMA, and quality product used by well trained techs will NOT damage the nails etc...that poor techs ruin nails, blah blah.

I suggested she choose a technician that will be truthful with her, instead of trying to use fradulent scare tactics to solicit her business.etc..

Now, I'm all for educating the public re:MMA & NSS. If scaring them away from NSS & MMA is the only to end it, FINE! I'm ok with that. It's truth that we speak of. NOT SLANDER.

However, why the fradulent scare tactics against ALL "Acrylic"?
And how does this brand of gel get away with their form of advertising, without other brands of gel & acrylic companies stepping up and saying "hey you!! that's slander!" Why can't they be sued or forced to cease their methods? Why are they permitted to continually hurt the industry?

I looked up this brand on the web. Several of their sites use the same tactic : Acrylic causes damage, use our gel, and don't have damage.:rolleyes:

I LOVE MY GEL.

BUT

... I love honesty more. Know what I mean?

If a tech is well educated in the industry. And knows their chemistry.. etc.. etc..
WHY WHY WHY on earth would they want to be associated with such a Brand that slanders other's and makes false claims to solicit business?:grr:

I don't get it, and it annoys me to no end.

How can we get respect, with this sort of stuff going on? It's bad enough we're inundated with NSS & MMA.
But to add insult to injury by choosing a brand that advertises their products thus?

I don't get it.
Do you?

"Pregnancy" seems to be the active word though.
This is obviously a concern to any pregnant woman, nails are not harmful themselves, but many pregnant women go on a "Natural" tangent. This includes a multitude of things (food, fumes, hair products, even fabrics) depends on how the woman feels about her condition and rightfully so, nobody wants any undue risks.

No problems have ever been indicated between nails and pregnancy.

One thing I have noticed over the years is the sensitivity to odors, even vapors (which gels also have).

Advertising that one or the other is safer though is not very kosher.

This is obviously a concern to any pregnant woman, nails are not harmful themselves, but many pregnant women go on a "Natural" tangent. This includes a multitude of things (food, fumes, hair products, even fabrics) depends on how the woman feels about her condition and rightfully so, nobody wants any undue risks.

One thing I have noticed over the years is the sensitivity to odors, even vapors (which gels also have).

Perfectly said Zoo,it is my belief and it is what I was tought that neither Acrylic nor gel can harm your unborn baby,I used acrylic all the way through my 2 pregnancy's with no problems at all, the ONLY difference that I found was that I was a little more sensitive to the odour.
As for the Company slandering about Acrylic being bad for you,what a load of RUBBISH! It is the nail tech that does the damage not the product!
And yes Hunter I do agree with you that they should be sued for slander, this makes me so mad, I hear it all the time Acrylic hurts you Acrylic is bad BLAH BLAH BLAH!! I'm so over it. But it is companys like the one you are talking about that put all this rubbish into peeps heads. When is it going to end??

To be fair tot he suppliers, I don't think its alwasy them.....I find a lot of the time its the uneducated and insecure tech, not the brands themselves that come up with this kind of rubbish.

I think that they feel the need to appear more knowledgeable to the custoemr as they don't have faith in their work.

I've heard rubbish from techs mouths before about every brand I use.....both in favour of and against the brand. I heard from someone only the other day that they'd been told they shouldn't use a very well known gel brand on here, because it was tested on animals in a very cruel way, that frequently resulted in the suffocation of the animal, and that the whole animal was put into the lamp for curing! :eek:

Having two children of my own, I realize that. I reassured her, of course :wink2:

It was the slander that irked me.

And Zingara said:
To be fair tot he suppliers, I don't think its alwasy them.....I find a lot of the time its the uneducated and insecure tech, not the brands themselves that come up with this kind of rubbish.

Actually, it was the primary distributing company's site, and not just the nail technician's site of the same brand. Know what I mean?
The Main company/distributor states it on their site, THEN their techs jumped on board, and it's on their sites too. (I looked at several sites for the same brand, and it was the same everywhere: US, CDA & UK... all the same for the same brand)

If I were EZ Flow or Creative or OPI or TT, etc...... I'd probably pick one of the bigger companies selling this fraudulent info, and take their butts to court and sue them BIG TIME.. And maybe by forcing one of them to change their tactics, the rest will fall in line and it would stop? (Out of fear of going bankrupt from suffering the same fate if they're a smaller business? One could only hope?)
YEs, it's a lot of headache and a lot of money to go to court....

BUT the end result would be sending a message to the other frauds to pull up their socks and get with the program.
And maybe it would 'spread' and we might wind up with less BullS**t going on in the industry?
One battle at a time?

I don't know. Just some ideas. Clearly it's a big problem. Clearly it's a costly one to fix.

It just seems that there are so many @#$%^&* out there, trying to hurt the industry and if everyone could just work together... ?

Latest posts

Back