Free edge advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzy_SLW

Reaction score
If I get lifting/separation between the natural nail free edge and the gel free edge, I turn the hand over, and use a drill to file the lifted natural nail away from the gel overlay.
However, after the lifting has been removed, the natural nail starts to lift again the next day. Should I be applying glue to the remaining natural free edge?

Thanks x

Who taught you to do that?! If you get Lifting you should be romoving the gel overlay from the nail plate, not the other way around!

File off the gel polish (if used) and then gently remove the lifted part of the gel overlay, but be very careful not to actually file any of the natural nail as you will damage it. Refine/rebalance and then re-apply your gel overlay.

No, do not glue it down, fastest way to trap bacteria and cause a bacterial infection.

Free edge separation is down to either not applying the product properly so not getting proper adhesion all the way to the free edge. It's easy to get into the habit of just brushing the gel on like polish when you get to the free edge. Spend as much time perfecting that area as the side walls and cuticle. Or potentially you are breaking the free edge cap seal during final finish buffing.

Another issue is client after care, the natural nail will buckle away fromvthe overlay if it is dry, they need to be using Solar Oil to keep the natural nail hydrated and adhered.

Filing iff the natural nail is not the preferred solution, it sends vibrations down the entire overlay which can, as you are discovering, cause further issues as it dislodges the remaining product. Besides which clients mostly want their natural nail to grow under the overlay.

Prevention is better than cure in this situation

Thanks ladies! I did wonder about the bacterial issue. I’ve just been seeing nail techs using this method on their Instagram videos x

Latest posts

Back